Albright Comments on Policy.

		Albright Comments on Policy
		***************************

     		Thursday, January 9, 1997 6:50 am EST

           	Secretary of State-nominee Madeleine Albright's comments at
		her confirmation hearing on foreign policy issues.

             	--UNITED NATIONS: On the U.N. ... I think the important thing
		to keep in mind is we created the U.N., and the U.N. is
		important and good for the United States. It does need
		reforming. That has been very much a part of my mission
		in New York. And I think we've accomplished quite a lot,
		but there's a lot more to be done.

          	--HUMAN RIGHTS: If I am confirmed, I can assure you that
		the United States will not hesitate to address frankly
		the violation of internationally-recognized human rights,
		whether those violations occur in Cuba or Afghanistan, Burma,
		Belgrade, or Beijing.

		[Associated Press, 9 January 1997].