Free Burma Campaign (South Africa) (r)

Subject: Free Burma Campaign (South Africa) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:59:43 +0200 (SST)
To: Kiru Naidoo <kiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Free Burma Campaign (South Africa)

STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE FREE BURMA CAMPAIGN (SOUTH AFRICA) ON THE
OCCASION OF THE 49TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMESE INDEPENDENCE

(The following statement was send to the South African media, various
diplomatic missions , the hotel group hosting SLORC, the South African
Department of Foreign Affairs and President Mandela.  It was published as
a letter to the editor in amongst others the Business Day (10/01/96) and
Sunday Tribune (12/01/96) both of which have national circlations.)

January 4 marks the 49th anniversary of Burma's independence from British
colonial rule.  It was a hard fought and hard won struggle for self -
determination and human dignity.  Tragically, democratic government was
abruptly terminated in 1962 when the military seized power.  Burma has since
been ruled by successive military juntas which have been universally
condemned for their atrocious human rights records.  The present
authorities known officially as the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC) annulled the 1990 election in which the opposition led by
Nobel Laureate , Aung San Suu Kyi, emerged victorious with 82% of the
popular vote.  In its efforts to consolidate dictatorship SLORC has
arbitrarily detained , tortured and murdered thousands of its political
opponents.  Ordinary people suffer indignities associated with forced
labour, forced relocation, arbitrary taxation, sexual and other forms of
violence on a regular basis.  The conscience of the civilised world
dare not tolerate such tyranny.  A global campaign modelled on
the international anti-apartheid movement is gaining momentum around the
world.  The Free Burma Campaign (South Africa) was born out of the
belief that as recently liberated South Africans, we have a moral
obligation to campaign for the liberation of oppressed peoples
elsewhere.  We add our voices to the international call to isolate SLORC
and urge the restoration of democracy in Burma through the
acknowledgment of the results of the 1990 elections.  We further urge
the South African government to distance itself from SLORC and withdraw
recognition of its emissary in this country.  Few diplomatic missions
will accept the SLORC emissary's invitation to celebrate Burma's
independence in Pretoria on January 6.  South Africa could send an even
stronger message to the world by telling the military authorties that
they are not welcome on our soil.

Issued by:
Kiru Naidoo
Free Burma Campaign