LETTER TO U.S.SPECIAL ENVOYS ON BUR

Subject: LETTER TO U.S.SPECIAL ENVOYS ON BURMA (15/1/97)

/* Written 20 Jan 6:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ---------" Letter to U.S.Special Envoys on Burma (15/1/97) ------- */

LETTER TO THE U.S. SPECIAL ENVOYS ON BURMA.
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
Australia

January 15, 1997.

Ambassador William Brown and Mr Stanley Roth
United States Envoys on Burma
c/- Mona Sutphen
Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights in Labour
United States Department of State

Dear Sirs,

Please find enclosed note, concerning with the businesses operating in
Burma. The existence of international busniesses in Burma has been a
constant source of dispute between human rights groups and businesses. I
understand that the Government of United States have a policy of not to
encourage and not to discourage the United States businesses entering into
Burma. However, I am seeking help from U.S. government to inform the
businesses from the UNited States which are operating in Burma about the
status of their contracts with current Burmese government. The business
contracts signed by current military authorities after the May-1990
election may not be considered as legitimate. Therefore, I ask the business
community in United States to approach the Executive Committee of National
League for DEmocracy for approval of their contracts.

I also like to note that this action will marginalize the illegitimate
Government of Burma (SLORC) from promoting legitimacy. It is possible that
the SLORC will respond this action by refusing access to or arresting the
members of Executive Committee of National League for Democracy. I
therefore ask United States Government prepare to make a vigorous response
to SLORC if such case has occurred in Burma.

I also appeal the United States Government to give necessary support and
leadership in forming a UNited Nations Contact Group for Burma. It has been
reported that Canadian Prime Minister, Mr Jean Chretien, is visiting
Thailand on 16-20 January and will be making initiatives to form a U.N.
Contact group for Burma. Such a U.N. Contact groups will certainly help our
Burmese democracy cause and therefore I appeals the U.S. Government to
follow-up this valuable initiative from Canadian Prime Minister.

IN closing, I thank you for your kind attention to these matters. The
continuing kind support to Burma democracy cause from the U.S.Government
and Department of State are greatly appreciated by the Burmese people.

Yours respectfully and sincerely.
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */