The Albright Payback : Tibet Burma

Subject: Re: The Albright Payback : Tibet Burma China & Clinton

dawn star (Euro-Burmanet) wrote:

> wtn-editors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

following this comment on Albright article NY Times,  and  senior NY
Times columnist AM Rosenthal's "The Secretary Doesnt Sound Tough on
China" ( best read with Suu Kyi's address to American Univeristy this
week), articles on the worsening situation of Tibet, not unrelated to
Burma

> z, FBC and Burmanet,

Indeed what a rude surprise life can be. We now turn to President
Clinton and american foreign policy to China. It may be the underlying
keypin of his second administration.

To orchestrate this policy, Ms. Madeleine K. Albright had published in
the New York Times (republished today in the International Herald
Tribune "Back to Consensus on American Foreign Policy") an astounding
confessional dedication to the great office she now occupies. Clearly
the part of a Secretary of State embodies a role significantly different
from support role banging drums at the UN and although she enjoyed
cabinet status, Ms Albright has jumped out of the shadow of Mr. Warren
Christopher and  taken a giant leap among and above her peers. If she
has, as it were, now  been rewarded for her steady support of Suu Kyi,
and virulent condemnation of Slorc  repression in Burma, it now remains
to be seen how she will prevail on a far different tact in the race for
China. With a Gore visit imminent, and President Chirac of France not
far behind, a return to dollar diplomacy is in the cards, and she lay
those cards on the table. In the Times article, lamenting budget cuts,
she declares, "our diplomatic presence overseas has contracted. As I
present our budget requests to Congress, I recognize my duty to explain
our plans and priorities with a logic that Americans can embrace. And I
will do all I can to see that taxpayers get full value from their
investment." Not better  said had it been a Morgan banker. And no better
than old fashion pork barrel politics.

Not a word on Burma. China is virtually passed over "important bilateral
relationships (including those with China,Russia and Ukraine)".

The same edition of today's International Herald Tribune reported on the
front page
Clinton's appeasement re "defense"  (my word) of China and his announced
 policy of "constructive engagement" (their word)  with these
communists  "despite a draft State Department report sayinhg that
Beijing has eliminated virtually the entire dissident movement."

This same communist regime was responsible for the deaths of millions of
people of its own population, and genocide of Tibet killing over a
million men women and children. Recently, in a test of Western
indifference,  China has intensified its attacks on the Dalai Lama.

Parallels to Burma and Suu Kyi are evident and real. China's military,
political and financial support of SLORC's repression in Burma through
their proxy control goes unchecked.

These days China is sending more than just a casual signal to Burma and
Clinton. Are western economies to be held hostage to Communist China's
blatant attack on the fundamental values which Clinton has claimed to
cherish, values which bond America at home to the free world?

The worst is yet to come. Hey, what can a guy do, even if he is
President of the most powerful country ever in the history of the world.
Given the White House policy tilt to condone and excuse while not
ignoring  human rights violations in China, amidst current friendly
Sino-Burmese relations for which the alarming Chinese hardline towards
Tibet is in no sharp divergence to repression in Burma, it looks like
the heat has been turned off, Burma moved to a back burner. This is a
far cry from Burma being the test-case for freedom and democracy in the
South Pacific, and the impression he gave to the media during his
presidential romp after his re-election last year.

  Has the US president given China, and Slorc,  his green card of
approval? Burma is too closely linked to China to easily separate issues
that effect both countries. If Madeleine Albright desires not to betray
Suu Kyi as Clinton betrayed the Dalai Lama, she will have to back up her
previous statements of support with more than just words, and soon.

Comments are welcome.

Metta,

> Dawn Star, Paris
> Euro-Burmanet
> http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/

Now the comment by Rosenthal
"The Secretary Doesnt Sound Tough on China"

New York -- On Jan. 22 and 23, the world press reported that Beijing was
moving swiftly now in Hong Kong, getting ready to cancel basic freedoms
when Communist China takes over from Britain on July 1.

On Jan.24, a Clinton foreign affairs official said US relations with
China were 'multifaceted' and could not be held hostage to any one
issue.

On Jan.26, The New York Times reported in a front-page story by Patrick
Tyler, its bureau chief in Beijing, that the half-century old Poliburo
crackdown on religion, which had driven millions of Roman Catholic
Chinese to worship underground, had been stepped up as part of a new
wave of repression begun by President Jiang Zemin.

The same day, the Clinton official said relations wih China were
'multifaceted' and could not be held hostage to any one issue.

It was the routine point and counterpoint on China. The press reports
more repression in China, and the Clintonian response is painstakingly
plain: The business of the United States is business.

Human rights issues - torture, forced abortion, religious persecution,
slave labor -- none of that must interfere with business.

But in the past week the official got special attention. This was the
new secretary of state talking, Madeleine Albright.

Nobody expected her to say anything startlingly different from what
President Bill Clinton had been saying the past three years since he
broke his human rights promises to the Chinese and Tibetan people. But
because of her reputation for toughness, there was some thought that she
might move a smidgeon from the Clinton party line on China.

She did not.

She did not corss the line from toughly carrying out the boss's orders
to being tough where it was dangerous -- courageous tough, tough enough
to signal that on human rights for Chinese she had some thoughts, some
misgivings.

Maybe she will cross ovr another day; too early to give up hope, but
burning with a brillant light it is not.

While we ait, let's at least unspin the hostage story. America is
already hostage -- not to an American human rights policy, for there is
none, but to China's. We cannot rescue ourselves unless we acknowledge
that.

Beijing blackmails American companies in the China trade into silence
about political and religious persecution that is played out under their
own noses.

China sells missile and nuclear technology to dictatorships that hate
America. China knows that its threats of economic reprisal count in
Washington, enough to make the United Stats slither away from legal
sanctions -- or discussion with the American public.

On Jan.23, answering a written question from Senator Bob Bennett,
Republican  of Utah, Secretary Albright said the United States had
received 'reporting' about 'transfers' from China to Iran of material
that could be used in biological warefare. No sanctions were planned,
she said. But she did offer the senator a 'classified' briefing.

That's nice -- unless you think the American public should know, since
the Chinese and Iranian dictators already do.

For irony collectors: Andrew J Nathan of Columbia University writes that
it was when the United States did talk of economic penalties for human
rights horros like  the Tiananmen slaughter that Beijing made business
concessions to America.

Mr. Nathan makes the critical point about why human rights in China are
of national interest to the United States. Countries that respect the
rights of their citizens are less likely to star wars, export drugs,
harbor terrorists, produce refugees. The greater the power of a country
without human rights, the greater the danger to the United States.

The dreadful, unexpected reality of America's desertion of Chinese human
rights is known to prisoners in the torture cells; count on it.

Wei Jingsheng knows because briefly he was free. He had been sentenced
for writing his mind. When they found that the first 14-year term had
not broken him, the Communist leaders with whom Mr. Clinton and Mrs.
Albright will meet to talk multifacets ordered 14 more years: same Nanpu
New Life Salt Works Prison, same guards, same isolation cells.

Well, some people must suffer for freedom; tough world. We who lie in
freedom already, what we have to do is speak up for them. Sometimes we
do. Only thing is,sometimes we just have other business.

end