Karen Reveloution Day Message by KY

Subject: Karen Reveloution Day Message by KYO (Australia)

The Statement of the Karen Youth Organization (Australia) Inc. on the
48th  Anniversary of the Karen Revolution Day

31 st January 1949, is the remarkable day for our Karen people, as it is
the day we began to fight for our right, and have been fighting since
1948, to survive our people from being continually and unjustly
oppressed by the Burmese military regime, and to obtain freedom.
Naturally, we, the Karens are peaceful nation who always loves peace and
contentment, yet, beceause of such sufferings, we are forced to carry
out this arm struggle. Regarding  this matter, we would like to express
the brief history and current situation and feeling of our people.

After the second World War at the time or struggle for independence,
Karen people had participated not only for the entire nation but also
for their own Karen State. Our just and peaceful demands for the
creation of the Karen State were ignored both by the British colonial
Government and the then Anti-fascist Peoples? Freedom League (AFPFL)
Interim Government.

When Burma regained her independence on January 4, 1948, the Karens,
under the banner of KNU which was founded on February 5, 1947, staged a
peaceful widespread demonstration on February 11, 1948 with four
slogans:

1.  Give us the Karen State at once.
2.  Show Karen one Kyat and Burmese one Kyat at once.
3.  We don?t want communal clashes, and
4.  We don?t want civil war.

The essence of these slogans means liberty, equality, unity and peace.
The Burmese Army, instead of solving this matter peacefully and
politically, responded with brutal attacks arsons, rapes, looting,
killing and etc. and, thus, started the Karen Revolution which followed
the civil war.

We are fully confident that our just and righteous demands would be
enjoyable by the entire nation. So it was obvious that our armed
revolution is just and fair and the leading role of the KNU for the
D.A.B ( Democratic Alliance of Burma) is a proof that the Karens really
love to obtain peace for all nations of Burma, even though they have
come across with numerous brutal military attacks by the SLORC.

On this remarkable day, we, the Karen Youth Organization ( Australia)
would earnestly like to call upon the entire nations in the world to
force ce the SLORC to...

(1)  Stop the Ethnic War and establish Democracy and transfer back the
power to people?s representatives.

(2)  U.N and its members to investigate and take necessary action for
the freedom of Karen people and all the ethnic nationalities in Burma.

(3)  ASEAN Should postpone to allow Burma to be full-membership of ASEAN
until Burma get Democracy.

(4)  SLORC should open up legitimate dialogue with ethnic people
including Karen people like Tirpotise Dialogue the resolution reach to
National Reconciliation

(5)  As our Karen revolution is being supported by entire nation , we
Karen Youth Organization will continue to support to K.N.U and fighting
until we achieve our common goals.

Finally,  we like to insert the slogan of KNLA soldiers which is

The only way for the Karens to survive is to keep struggling. We shall
live and have to choose the life of slavery, or obtain the national
freedom by fighting against the Military regime. Give us liberty or
death.

For further information please contact:

Karen Youth Organization ( Australia Inc )
6/14 Sweete Street
Lidcombe
N.S.W 2141
Australia
Phone: (02) 9649-2713   Fax: (02) 9632-7215