Daw Suu is in danger!!! Please do s

Subject: Daw Suu is in danger!!! Please do something about it!!! NOW

Dear ALL,

Please take an action! Daw Suu is in danger! I have sent more than 100
e-mail to people who I know and who care about her. The following is an
example. Please forward this e-mail as many as you can. It will work!
Please do something about it!!!

Yours,
NiNi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:30:44 +0100 ()
To: "MEP Mrs. Glenys Kinnock" <glenys.kinnock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: URGENT REQUEST!

	Your excellency,

	Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is in danger. I do humbly request your help.

	NiNi

Suu Kyi claims murder threat
4.2.97/The Nation
Activist says Slorc minister called for her death
AFP

RANGOON - Prodemocracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi alleged yesterday
that, a Burmese government minister had encouraged junta
supporters to murder her.

Suu Kyi said that Railways Minister Win Sein had, during a recent
talk upcountry to members of the pro-junta Union Solidarity
Development Association (USDA), "roughly told them to kill, that
I should be killed."

The minister was not immediately available for comment, but a
government official commented, "I think she has been watching too
much of the Alfred Hitchcock type of suspense movies."

Referring to the checkpoints which the junta said it had put up
for her protection on roads leading to her home, Suu Kyi said,
"If I need to be protected from anybody, it's from a minister
like that. It's from members of the government."

On Nov 9, Suu Kyi's motorcade came under attack from a mob
wielding sticks and stones.

She and her opposition National League for Democracy (NLD)
accused the USDA of mounting the attack, while the junta
suggested that the attack focused on security officials, implying
that the NLD supporters were behind it.

Asked whether the allegation against the minister had been
corroborated, Suu Kyi said the information came from several
different people who had been present at the talk.

She repeated calls for international sanctions against the
military government as well as for the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations (Asean) to refrain from admitting Burma to
membership.

Describing the general situation in Burma as "Volatile", she
said, "There is large-scale repression of the democracy movement
going on with over 100 people arrested within a month."

Of some 105 people detained since the December unrest, 24 were
students, 34 NLD members or supporters, 18 members of the NLD
youth movement, she indicated, adding those tried had not been
given access to legal assistance.

She told reporters, who were allowed to pass through the check-
points to attend yesterday's news conference at her lakeside
compound, that international investment funds were going straight
"into the pockets of the Slorc's privileged elite."

Slorc refers to the State Law and Order Restoration Council, the
official name of the ruling junta.

"What Burma needs is not more investment, more capital, but good
government. We need rule of law. We need justice," she said.

Asked for her reaction to Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw's recent
statement that the Pepsi decision to pull out of Burma under
pressure from US groups was of no significance, she remarked ,
"If the foreign minister has said so, then we can easily request
all investors to pull out with a clear conscience, confident that
it will not harm the country."

She said she would be willing to drop her call for sanctions if
Slorc agreed to "a genuine dialogue which is to bring about a
change in this country."