THE SLORC OFFENSIVE AGAINST THE SLO

Subject: THE SLORC OFFENSIVE AGAINST THE SLORC

                   THE SLORC OFFENSIVE AGAINST THE KNU
                   -----------------------------------
Date - 20.2.97

The Slorc has stepped up their military offensive against the
Karen National Union (KNU) in various areas along the Thai-
Burmese border. The reason for the Slorc offensive is because
they failed to force the KNU to surrender their arms.

In the surrounding areas of the KNU headquarters at Tee Ker Pler,
there are battles between the Karen guerrilla force and the
Slorc. The Karen troops are using guerrilla tactics to combat the
Slorc's offensive. Gen. Bo Mya is still commanding the troops and
he is in good health. He said, " Everything is under controll. We
can not endure this kind of aggressive attitude by the Slorc." He
also urged international community to condemn the Slorc for their
human rights violations against their own people. Gen. Bo Mya
continued saying that, "the KNU will not refuse or reject peace
talks. If the Slorc put off or reject peace negotiation and
continue fighting us then we have to fight back for our survival.
We are not scared or afraid by doing the right thing for our
people. Justification will be clarified in the end."

Contact person - Padoh Man Sha
Contact Number - (055) 561062