KNU REPORT FEBRUARY 18, 1997

HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN THATON DISTRICT

On 8/2/97 SLORC'S Light Infantry Battalion (LIB) 219 commanded by Lt. Colonel
Aung Ko Ko burned unmilled rice belonging to the following villagers in Mae
Baw Kee village, Thaton District.

(1) Saw Pah Er                  75 baskets
(2) Maung Kya Ngay           60 baskets
(3) Pa Baw                         75 baskets

On the same day, they killed and ate a buffalo belonging to Maw Loh Pa.  On
10/2/97 the two villages of Noe Baw Kee and La Kyo Ko were relocated to Htaw
Klaw Kee village  by SLORC Infantry Battalion 63 which is also located in
this village.  The entire village was fenced and the villagers are virtual
prisoners.  They leave only to be used as forced laborers working on a road
being built by SLORC troops in this area.

KNU INFORMATION CENTER

UPDATE ON SITUATION AT HWAY KALOK REFUGEE CAMP, MAE SOT THAILAND

Yesterday when we were touring the camp talking to the students and camp
leaders we were given a flyer prepared by the students . I have decided to
print it exactly as they worded it.

* LONG LIVE THEIR MAJESTIES THE KING AND QUEEN OF THAILAND.
*  WE ARE GENUINE KAREN REFUGEES TEMPORARILY LIVING IN THAILAND.
*  WE THANK THE THAI AUTHORITIES FOR LETTING US STAY IN THAILAND.
*  THE ACTION TO DESTROY OUR REFUGEE CAMPS IS THE PLAN OF THE SLORC
    MILITARY GOVERNMENT.
*  WE REQUEST THE THAI AUTHORITIES TO PROTECT US.
*  WE REEQUEST THE THAI BUDDHIST LEADERSHIP TO MEET WITH THE SLORC
    AND DKBA LEADERS TO NOT SEND THEIR SOLDIERS TO ATTACK US AGAIN.
*  WE REQUEST WORLD BUDDHIST ORGANIZATIONS TO TAKE STRONG ACTION
    AGAINST SLORC AND DKBA FOR THIS ACTION OF BURNING OUR REFUGEE
    CAMPS.
*  WE REQUEST THAI AUTHORITIES AND ASEAN TO RECONSIDER THEIR
    "CONSTRUCTIVE ENGAGEMENT' WITH SLORC.
*  WE REQUEST THAI AUTHORITIES NOT TO FORCIBLY REPATRIATE US.
*  WE REQUEST THAI GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE FOR THE REBUILDING OF OUR
    REFUGEE CAMPS AT A NEW SECURE LOCATION.

Unreasonable demands of a "radical group?"  People trying to get something
for nothing?  "Freeloaders" too lazy to work?  ITHINK NOT!!!  These people
are simply asking for the personal freedoms that we in the free world take so
much for granted.  We asked if there was enough food in the camp for the
refugees.  They replied "Oh yes, we have rice!"  Would you say you had enough
if all you had was rice to eat?  The lucky ones may even have fish paste for
the rice.  I have been struggling with feelings of guilt at the comfortable
way I have been living since traveling in Kawthoolei.  There has to be some
way that we can all be treated equally.  Would you search your hearts and see
if there is something you can do to help?

The medic we talked with yesterday told us one of the pressing needs was for
warm sleeping clothes for the tiny babies.  It is getting very cold here at
night and these tiny Karen babies have no way to generate heat on their own.
With donations of money sent in with me, we were able to purchase some
booties, hats, blankets and sleeping wear.  There was not near enough money
to buy for all those in need, but we have made a start.  On behalf of the
Karen we are asking for your help.  WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  ONE TINY LIFE
AT A TIME!

EYE WITHNESS ON KAWTHOOLEI

| SalaThai, Bangkok, Thailand - A FirstClass Network - Tel: (662) 679-8382   |
|      BBS: (662) 679-8380 (18 lines)   http://www.icn.net/SalaThai.html     |
|    Please address any problems and questions to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx    |