NCUB PRELEASE NO [8]

N A T I O N A L   C O U N C I L   O F  T H E   U N I O N   O F   B U R M A

			PRESS RELEASE NO [8]
	NCUB Concerned Over `Uncertainty' Of Thai-Burmese Border Talks

							Date February 26, 1997

The National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB) is very much concerned about the uncertainty surrounding the talks between Burma and Thai Governments, which included the question of unilateral repatriation of refugees back to Burma.
The NCUB opposes any forced repatriation under the present circumstances.  The people who took refuge in Thailand did not flee from the fighting alone.  They fled because they are subjected to rape, extra-judicial killings, village burning, involuntary di
sappearances, forced laboring and portering.  In other words, the people cannot lead a normal life under the SLORC in Burma.
The NCUB would like to call on the Thai Government and the
international community
1)	To persuade the SLORC to resolve political problems through political means and to enter into a tripartite dialogue with pro-democracy and ethnic forces.   This is because history has proven that military means cannot resolve political problems.
2)	To provide a safe haven to the refugees and prevent them from being forced back into the hands of the SLORC which is bent on destroying these people who are considered as supporters of the KNU.

The NCUB also calls on the entire people of Burma to redouble their political defiance activities to topple the brutal SLORC junta and restore democracy and human rights in Burma.  On its part, the NCUB pledges that it will continue the struggle against t
he SLORC until democracy and human rights are restored in Burma .

The Information Committee
NCUB
Tel/Fax: 055 561 040