European Parliament.

To: THE HUMAN RIGHTS NETWORK AND OTHER INTERESTED NETWORKS

      EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT

1. The European Parliament's Sub-Committee on Human Rights will be holding
Hearing on the "Social Clause" in June. The Committee is looking for speakers on
this subject from Asia. Speakers are also sought for the other continents. If
anyone or any organisation in Asia can suggest potential names of speakers,
please let me know as soon as possible. I will need a little background of
candidates proposed.

The hearing is to be organised in a balance with different viewpoints for and
against. The position of Asian governments are well-known here and this has to
be taken into connsideration. Note that in such a hearing, the Asian embassies
will be represented and they can intervene for their own governments or as a
group like ASEAN.

The date-line unfortunately is in a week's time that is by the 7th March 1996.
If there are no suggestions from Asia then Asia could be left out.

Now what is the scope of the "social clause" hearing. It could cover child
labour, prison labour, forced labour, trade union rights, the whole question of
"codes of conduct" to be observed by multinationals, small and medium-sized
industries investing Asia. Or you may have a particular view on the "social
clause". The final line of the person's speech will be discussed later. At the
moment it is trying to find people. Person must be acknowledgeable on the whole
debate on "social clause".

Please send me your suggestions as soon as possible.

2. The European Parliament is also dealing with reports on the following
countries: S. Korea, ASEAN, Vietnam's admission into EU-ASEAN Cooperation
Agreement, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Laos, Cambodia, India and China. These reports
are either in view of the process of ratification of agreements with some of
these countries or an appraisal of relations with these countries.

You are invited to give input into these reports which cover a whole range of
issues or facets of the relationship. It covers not just human rights and
democracy but the environment, development policy, economic relations, political
relations, political dialogue, regional cooperation, security etc.. The contents
of any agreement with a third country covers cooperation in many fields
including the scientific.

So, you welcome to give me information which could be fed into these
parliamentary reports.

Please do not e-mail me whatever information you have as I still have problems
in decoding files to me but fax to +32-2-2849449.

Regards to all and yours sincerely,

Paul Lim <100710.328@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[28 Feb 1997].