BurmaNet News March 1, 1997 (r)

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 1, 1997
Issue #653

Noted in Passing:

The 800 Karen refugees "volunteered to return to a safe area in Burma."
- Thai Army Maj Gen Thaweep  (see TT: US EMBASSY JOINS)

HEADLINES:
==========
NATION: MAUNG AYE SHOWS OFF HIS BOOTPRINT DIPLOMACY
TV MYANMAR: MAUNG AYE ATTENDS WEAPONS EXCHANGE CEREMONY
DASSK: UNION DAY SPEECH
FREE BURMA PRESS RELEASE: UNOCAL TRIES TO BLOCK UNION
WASHINGTON POST: COMMENT - BURMA: ENFORCE THE LAW
KOMPAS ONLINE (INDONESIA): PRESIDENT RECONFIRMS SUPPORT
AFP: UN ENVOY MEETS SUU KYI, SHAN OPPOSITION LEADER
NLM: RANGOON TO SELL YETAGUN NATURAL GAS TO THAILAND
NATION: GAS LINE IMPACT REPORT REJECTED
NATION: THAI, BURMESE FORCES CLASH NEAR REFUGEE SITE
THAILAND TIMES: OFFICER ALLEGES KNU YOUTHS PLEADED
THAILAND TIMES: US EMBASSY JOINS HUMAN RIGHTS GROUPS
BKK POST: BURMESE INTRUDERS KILL CUSTOMS OFFICIAL
BANGKOK POST: THAI-BURMESE PLAN TO OPEN BORDER PASS
---------

NATION: MAUNG AYE SHOWS OFF HIS BOOTPRINT DIPLOMACY
February 28, 1997 by Aung Zaw (slightly abridged)

The Burmese army chief did little for the cause of peace during a
swing through Karen state last week, AUNG ZAW writes.

One small misstep for Gen Maung Aye but a huge leap backward for
peace in Karen state, was how one analyst described the Burmese
army chief's visit to the war-torn area this week.

Maung Aye, also vice-chairman of the Ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council (Slorc) went to Azin and Kyeik Don villages
to meet Karen villagers and to inspect seized weapons and
surrendered fighters in the wake of an army push into rebel-held
areas. The two villages were taken over by the Burmese Army last week
at the beginning of its offensive  against the Karen National Union (KNU).

At Azin, Maung Aye and other officers greeted a handful of Karen
villagers, who seemed confused with the rapid change of situation, and then
accepted the surrender of KNU Capt Saw Tha Hmu He and his men. The group
was watched carefully by the villagers as they passed by.

Then Gen Maung Aye did an awful thing. While inspecting the seized
weapons he walked on the Karen flag, which had been laid on the ground.
Karen who watched it on TV Myanmar were outraged.

"Since before independence we have been using this flag. This is not a KNU
flag but our Karen National flag. All Karen in Rangoon, Karen state and
everywhere respect this flag,"said Saw Tha Main Htun, a Karen.

Maung Aye's behaviour was very damaging to national reconciliation, he
continued. "What he said and what he did were totally different," Saw Tha
Main Htun said.

Padoh Mahn Htay, a central committee member of the KNU, a central
committee member of the KNU, said Maung Aye's action was an "a
slap in the face of all Karen."

The damage caused by Maung Aye's travels didn't stop there.
On Feb 25, a few days after his visit to the Karen villages Maung
Aye went to meet his Thai counterpart, Gen Chetta Thanajaro, in
Tachilek on the border . Lt Gen Khin Nyunt, Burma's powerful
intelligence chief, along with the country's navy and air force
chiefs also attended the meeting.

Maung Aye said his government wanted to establish order in Karen
state and along the border before Burma joins Asean. He also said his
government would welcome back refugees living on Thai soil
after screening them.

Since the Burmese Army began its offensive against the KNU's 4th
brigade in Mergui and Tavoy in the middle of last week an estimated 5,000
refugees have fled to the border area. There were reports that some of the
fleeing refugee women were raped by the Burmese soldiers.

"These people should be allowed to stay in Thai soil until they
can go back to their homes," said Padoe Mahn Htay, the KNU spokesman.
Another KNU member charged that the Burmese are also preparing to
launch more attacks on refugees inside Thailand.

He said the KNU had received reports the army had ordered 1,000 DKBA
uniforms for its troops in Moulmein, Mon State. The Democratic Karen
Buddhist Association is a Rangoon backed Karen group but Burmese
soldiers wearing DKBA uniforms have been witnessed attacking refugee
camps on Thai soil. The order for the uniforms suggests that Rangoon is
determined to continue terrorising the refugees.

The KNU, on the other hand, says that it is still willing to talk
with the ruling junta it insists political issues must be
discussed before a ceasefire can be struck.

But most observers believe there is little chance of the two
sides patching up their differences in the near future.

Maung Aye's deliberate rudeness at the Karen village has rubbed
salt into the wounds. But according to Burmese opposition members
who monitored the Burmese army walkie-talkie communications in
Thailand, the Rangoon delegation that met the army chief was only
a little more diplomatic than they had been with the Karen. The
Burmese man who monitored the radio said he felt sick after
listening to the Slorc radio messages.

"Maung Aye and his men have never learned to live in a civil
society," he said.

TV MYANMAR: MAUNG AYE ATTENDS WEAPONS EXCHANGE CEREMONY
February 24, 1997 (abridged)

General Maung Aye, State Law and Order Restoration Council [SLORC]
vice chairman, Defense Services deputy commander in chief, and Army
commander in chief, and his entourage arrived at Kya-in Seikkyi in Karen
State at 1000 today. Gen. Maung Aye's entourage included: Lieutenant
General Tin U, SLORC secretary-2, Bureau of Special Operations chief,
and Army chief of staff; Rear Admiral Tin Aye, Navy commander in chief;
Lt. Gen. Tin Ngwe, Air Force commander in chief; Lt. Gen. Tin Hla, quarter
master general; and senior military officials.

At the regional command's conference hall, Major General Ket Sein,
commander of the Southeast Military Command and chairman of the Mon
State Law and Order Restoration Council, briefed Gen. Maung Aye on
mopping-up operations and regional development programs in Karen State.

Gen. Maung Aye gave necessary instructions and later met with state- and
township-level departmental personnel and members of the Union Solidarity
and Development Association and explained the situation with regard to:
the government's national unity efforts; endeavors to establish a modern,
developed, peaceful nation in accordance with the three cardinal causes and
12 established political, social, and economic objectives; the situation
regarding armed groups from the jungle that have exchanged weapons for
peace after realizing their misdeeds; and mopping-up operations in the
region. He then warmly greeted those who were present at the meeting.

At 1200, Gen. Maung Aye and party left Kya-in Seikkyi by helicopter and
arrived in Azin village at 1230. Colonel Ohn Myint, commander of the
frontline 44th Light Infantry Division, briefed Gen. Maung Aye at a village
conference hall. Col. Ohn Myint explained mopping-up operations carried out
in Azin-Mikwi valley, Mathayawhta, Paingkaladon, and Thabyumaing areas
by military columns of the frontline 44th Light Infantry Division. Col. Ohn
Myint explained that 36 clashes with KNU [Karen National Union]
insurgents took place between 11 and 24 February and that 22 bodies of the
enemy were recovered during the clashes and three were captured alive. He
said 12 insurgents exchanged weapons for peace. It was reported that 259
small and heavy weapons were seized, including: two 81-mm mortars, three 60-
mm mortars, one 2.75 rocket launcher, nine M-70 rocket launchers, nine M-79
rocket launchers, one 40-mm rocket launcher, two BA-93 launchers, one one-inch
mortar, 182,204 rounds of assorted ammunition, 1,371 assorted mines, and
17,404 assorted shells. It was also disclosed that six military personnel
from our
side died for their country and eight were wounded.

Gen. Maung Aye gave necessary instructions on regional security and
development and left Azin village by helicopter and arrived Kyaikdon village at
1430. Gen. Maung Aye was welcomed by Col. Maung Maung Thein, commander
of the frontline 22d Light Infantry Division, and officials. He said 14
bodies of the
enemy were recovered and 26 persons exchanged weapons for peace. He said 136
small and heavy weapons were seized from the enemy, including: one 82-mm
mortar, one 75-mm recoilless rifle, one 2.75 rocket launcher, one 82-mm
recoilless
rifle, 17,422 rounds of ammunition, 80 assorted mines, and 345 assorted
shells. It
was learned that there were no deaths on our side, but two officers and four
soldiers
were wounded.

Gen. Maung Aye then proceeded to Kyeikywa from Kyaikdon by helicopter and
arrived at 1500. At Kyeikywa, Gen. Maung Aye was welcomed by the tactical
commander and military officials; U Saw Thamu He, commander of the KNU's
16th Battalion and leader of the KNU group that exchanged weapons for peace,
and his members; local residents, and members of Karen dance troupes.

Gen. Maung Aye and members of his entourage presented an offering to U
Pyinnya  Thukha, abbot of the village monastery, and local monks. It was
followed by a  ceremony to exchange weapons for peace held inside the
compound of the Kyeikywa village monastery. U Saw Thamu He, commander
of the 16th Battalion of the KNU 6th Brigade, exchanged weapons for
peace by handing over a list of 496 persons: 30 officers, 421 persons of other
ranks, 20 from the DO [Defense Organization] 6th Battalion, and 25 from
administrative body. Also handed over to Southeast Commander Maj. Gen.
Ket Sein were: 227 small and heavy weapons, 3,932 rounds of ammunition,
and five assorted mines. The weapons included: one 75-mm recoilless rifle,
one 82-mm recoilless rifle, two 82-mm mortars, two 8.75 rocket launchers,
four 3.5 launchers, two 60-mm mortars, two BA-100 mortars, one 2-inch
mortar, nine RPGs, one 62-mm mortar, one MG-42 submachine gun, two
M-16 submachine guns, and two Browning machine guns.

He (General Maung Aye) noted that internal strife has continued in Karen
State for nearly 50 years and the government has patiently held negotiations
four times with the KNU and an opportunity to gain peace emerged after
three rounds of negotiations.  He said the KNU, however, unilaterally suspended
the negotiations due to the internal destructive elements and instigations of
foreign nations that want to see the disintegration of the country. The KNU
unilaterally ended the negotiations, took one-sided actions, and issued
announcements aimed at undermining national solidarity.

Gen. Maung Aye said although the KNU has turned its
back on peace negotiations, the government always welcomes
the KNU. He explained that the Defense Services and all the
people warmly welcome U Saw Thamu He and members because of
their efforts for peace. He also spoke on the implementation
of regional development with the speedy cooperation of ministries concerned.

U Saw Tha Mu He then delivered a speech in response.
[Begin U Saw Thamu He recording] Esteemed deputy
commander in chief of the Defense Services, senior military
officers, and distinguished guests: I am Lieutenant Colonel
Saw Thamu He, commander of the 16th Battalion of the KNU 6th
Brigade. First, I would like to express my thanks for having this opportunity
to speak. We have come to join the Defense Services in its endeavors to
establish a peaceful, modern, developed Myanmar [Burma].

We would like to express our thanks to national leaders who have come to
this ceremony to exchange weapons for peace and for warmly welcoming
myself, our members, and the villagers. We fought for many years and never
achieved success, and it did not serve the country in any way. Only
the Karen people and members lost their lives. This is why we have made a
decision to join the Defense Services government and to contribute to regional
development in order to prevent the suffering of the people and to achieve
peace and participate in regional development.  We pledge to support the three
main national causes-- the nondisintegration of the Union, the
nondisintegration
of national solidarity, and the perpetuation of national sovereignty.

We express our thanks to the Defense Services government for extending
assistance in cash and kind for regional development. We fully trust that the
government will continue to extend assistance for our regional and
rural development.

I conclude here by pledging to work jointly with the Defense Services to the
best of my physical and mental ability in the interests of the rural people
and the
nation. [end recording]

Gen. Maung Aye and Lt. Gen. Tin U presented cash and gifts to U Saw Thamu
He and members and cordially greeted them.  They then posed together for
photographs.

Gen. Maung Aye and his party left Kyeikywa by helicopter at 1600 and arrived
back in Yangon [Rangoon] by a special aircraft via Moulmein in the evening.

DASSK: UNION DAY SPEECH
February 12, 1997

Unofficial translation of speech by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi delivered at the
ceremony
to mark the 50th anniversary of the Union Day held at her residence in
Rangoon on
February 12. 1997 - NCGUB Information Office (USA).

Speech By General Secretary Of The National League For Democracy
At The 50th Anniversary Of The Union Day on February 12, 1997.

Efforts were made to undermine our Union Day and impair our work _ the work
of a
political organization that the people have mandated through fair and free
elections to
lead the nation into the future. In spite of the difficulties that had
arisen as a result of
these efforts, people have come here to join the celebrations and others had
expressed
their support for me from afar. I'd like to express my respect and my thanks
to all these
people.

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Panglong Agreement. When our great
national and ethnic leaders signed the Panlong Agreement, they did not
intend it to be
an agreement on paper only. They made a pledge from their hearts to show
that all the
nationalities in Burma believe in unity.

As of today, the Union of Burma has been a sovereign nation for about half a
century.
But it is very difficult to call in a true sense because we have not been
able to achieve
genuine unity among the nationalities. What is needed to achieve genuine
national unity
is a system under which all our nationalities can freely and fearlessly
express their
hopes, objectives, concerns, grievances and dislikes. Only when such a
system is in
place can we get rid of the misunderstanding and distrust that exist among
us. I
promise that our National League for Democracy will strive with sincerity to
rebuild
complete trust among all the nationalities.

I take this opportunity on the occasion of his 50th anniversary of the Union
Day to call
on our ethnic nationalities to join us in our efforts.

Fifteen ethnic organizations and other ethnic representatives held an Ethnic
Nationalities Seminar at Mae Tha Raw Hta from February 7 to 14 and issued a
statement.

The statement in part reads:
 ... since the time of independence in 1948, successive regimes in power have
violated
the right to equality of all citizens, irrespective of race as provided for
in Panglong
agreement. Armed subjugation by successive regimes practicing rectal
chauvinism for
the last 49 years has been a disastrous experience of suffering
unprecedented in
history for the ethnic nationalities.

It is indeed distressing to note that our ethnic people have lost faith in
the Union
because of their bitter experiences. These wrongs of our past must be
corrected by all
of us. By all, I mean, us, the majority Burmans, as well as the ethnic
nationalities. We
must know the aspirations of our nationalities. What are their aspirations?
According
to the Mae Tha Raw Hta Agreement they are:

a) to dismantle the military dictatorship and establish peace in the country.
b) to precise the democratic political system,
c) to achieve the rights of equality and self-determination for each and every
nationality,
d) to establish a federal union

A paper regarding democracy and equal rights for nationalities was also
issued and
according to that document, what is vitally needed for our country are:
1) Democracy and political equality for all nationalities
2) Unity among all the nationalities
3) The emergence of a genuine Union
4) The building of a modern and progressive nation in which all component
states will
enjoy proportionate development
5) the end to all forms of dictatorship
6) Prevalence of peace in the country

>>From the documents above we know that bringing and end to dictatorship,
consolidating peace in the country, and ensuring democracy and equality for all
nationalities are the foundations that we cannot do without if we are to
build a strong
and lasting Union. We must work together to realize these goals and there is
no doubt
that our ethnic brothers and sisters know it too.

That fact is made evident in the concluding part of the document dealing with
democracy and equal rights for nationalities.

 ... efforts should be made through discussions to build unity among people with
political background above with political organizations that have legal
standing and
with those organizations that have concluded ceased-fire agreements. should
we fail
to do this, all the parities concerned will gradually disintegrate in a sea
of hardships
and finally get destroyed. Therefore, we must all unite ourselves wherever
possible
and strive to free ourselves from the general hardships.

The Mae Tha Raw Hta Agreement in part also said:

 .. we agree also to join hands with the pro-democracy forces led by Daw Aung
San
Suu Kyi and act unitedly and simultaneously for the achievement of rights of
the
nationalities as well as democratic rights.

In sum, it is evident that in order to establish a genuine Union on the
basis of equality
for all nationalities, forces who are endeavoring to restore democracy and
human rights
and the ethnic organizations must be firmly united and work closely with
each other.

In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Union Day, I invite all the
ethnic
leaders, the people with political background above ground, the party
organizations
with legal standing and the organizations that have entered into cease-fire
agreements
to work with our National League for Democracy for the emergence of a
preliminary
conference to prepare for a future convention that will genuinely represent
the people
and is geared to revive the spirit of the Panglong Agreement.

Long Live the Panglong Agreement.
Long Live the Panglong Spirit.
May a Genuine Democratic Union Emerge Soon.
Our Cause will Prevail.

FREE BURMA PRESS RELEASE: UNOCAL TRIES TO BLOCK UNION
REQUEST FOR AN INVESTIGATION OF LINK TO BURMESE HEROIN
TRADE
February 27, 1997

FREE BURMA: NO PETRO-DOLLARS FOR SLORC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 27, 1997

CONTACT: Rod Rogers (OCAW): (303) 987-2229
or Pamela Wellner: (415) 695-1956

What is Unocal's Dirty Secret?

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 27 -- The Free Burma: No Petro-dollars for SLORC
campaign today condemned Unocal's attempts to exclude a shareholder
resolution submitted by a retired member of the Oil Chemical Atomic Workers
International Union (OCAW). The resolution asks Unocal's external board
members to investigate an allegation of heroin money laundering by Unocal's
Burmese partner, in a natural gas pipeline project in Burma (Myanmar).

The partner, the Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE), an agency of Burma's
military regime, the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC), was
accused of drug money laundering in the Dec. 16, 1996 issue of The Nation.
The article reported on findings from an investigation by the Paris-based
Geopolitical Drugwatch that MOGE is a major channel for laundering the
revenues of heroin produced by the SLORC army.

Unocal, in a letter to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to
legally exclude the resolution from its proxy statement, claims that
conducting the investigation would be illegal under Section 3.(1) of the
Myanmar Official Secrets Act . This law  "makes it illegal for any person,
for purposes prejudicial to the safety or interests of the State to obtain,
publish or communicate to any other person information which might be
directly or indirectly useful to an enemy."

Unocal's stance drew a strong response from the OCAW, the labor union which
assisted one of its retired members in crafting the resolution. "One would
think if your business partner was accused of being a conduit for drug
money in a country which is the world's largest heroin producer and
provides 60% of the heroin in the US, you would want to look into it," said
Joe Drexler, OCAW Special Projects Director, whose union represents some
40,000 oil workers in the US. "Unocal should get it straight--Burma's junta
is the enemy, not their workers, shareholders, or the communities across
the US who are affected by a rise in heroin use," he added.

According to Robert S. Gelbard, US asst. Secretary of State for
International Narcotics, "Drug traffickers and their families are among the
leading backers of high-profile infrastructure projects in Burma. They
launder their money with impunity in banks controlled by the military." A
1996 US Embassy, Rangoon report, says  "The lack of vigorous enforcement
effort against money laundering leaves Burma vulnerable to the growing
influence of traffickers who will use drug proceeds in legitimate business
ventures."

"Unocal's letter implies that it's a crime under SLORC's Draconian laws to
conduct an internal investigation of any company knowledge of MOGE's drug
money laundering. Is this the dirty secret they don't want uncovered?" said
Pamela Wellner of the Free Burma campaign.

"The resolution calls for an investigation of an allegation. If it's
unfounded, Unocal has had ample opportunity to provide evidence. But they
have done nothing, which only gives the allegation more credibility," said
Larry Dohrs of the Seattle Campaign for a Free Burma.

Unocal is the target of widespread criticism due to its investment in the
controversial Burma pipeline which is linked to forced labor and other
human right abuses. The OCAW and the AFL-CIO have joined university
students and others in pressuring Unocal to end its Burma project. The New
York Times  has called "Unocal the shameful exception," in reference to
other companies such as PepsiCo, who have withdrawn their Burma operations.
Last week the Executive Council of the 12.9 million member AFL-CIO passed a
resolution calling on the Clinton Administration to invoke economic
sanctions on the SLORC regime.

WASHINGTON POST: COMMENT - BURMA: ENFORCE THE LAW
February 28, 1997

UNOCAL, THE U.S. energy company cooperating with Burma's totalitarian
regime to develop natural gas in that Asian country,   likes to show
photographs of the classrooms and clinics it is building for villagers
along the route of its unfinished gas pipeline through the jungle.
Unocal's presence, the argument goes, can act as a civilizing influence
on Burma's regime -- better known for repression, torture and forced
labor -- and so the U.S. administration shouldn't impose economic
sanctions restricting U.S. investment.

Another, less appealing consequence of economic development is
unfolding now on the Burma-Thai border. The pipeline of the $1.2 billion
project, in which France's Total is the other major participant, will
carry natural gas from Burma's Andaman Sea to Thailand. Burma's junta
will get badly needed foreign currency; Thailand's growing economy will
get badly needed energy. But Burma's regime fears that ethnic Karen, a
Christian anti-Communist minority that has been fighting for greater
autonomy for five decades, could stand in the way. So about 100,000
Burmese troops are now bludgeoning their way to the frontier in a
mopping-up campaign. Thousands of refugees are streaming across the
border. Thailand, which for years has sheltered Karen refugees, now is
forcing them back across the border toward Burma's guns. The lure of
Unocal's gas apparently is very strong.

What does any of this have to do with the United States? Burma is a
naturally wealthy country of 45 million people (of whom about 4 million
are Karen) that has been steadily impoverished by its corrupt and
incompetent rulers. In 1990 an overwhelming majority of Burmese voted
for a pro-democracy party headed by Aung San Suu Kyi, the daughter of
Burma's anticolonial independence hero. She is supported, too, by the
Karen and other ethnic minorities, for whom she promises a democratic
federative system. But the military thugs who rule the country never
allowed her to take power, and she remains under virtual house arrest.
Hundreds of her supporters have been jailed -- more last year than at
any time since the current regime seized power in 1988.

Promising to stand with Burma's democrats, Congress last year passed a
law requiring the president to ban further U.S. investment if the regime
moved against Aung San Suu Kyi or intensified its repression. Both in
Burma's capital and on the Thai border, the latter condition certainly
has been met. If the administration dithers any longer, it will only
encourage the regime to think it can realize the former condition, too,
at no cost to itself.

KOMPAS ONLINE (INDONESIA): PRESIDENT RECONFIRMS SUPPORT
FOR MYANMAR  (abridged)
Sunday, 23 February 1997

At the end of his visit to Myanmar, President Soeharto reconfirmed
Indonesia's support for Myanmar to become a full ASEAN member. Indonesia
does not see any obstacle anymore for the membership of either Myanmar,
Cambodia or Laos into ASEAN. Therefore Indonesia expects that the three
countries can soonest be accepted.

The clarification of the Head of State was conveyed in his talk with the
Chairman of the Board for State's Restoration of Law and Order (SLORC) of
the Myanmar Union, General Than Shwe at the Pyithu Hluttaw Parliament
Building, Yangoon, Myanmar, Saturday (22/2). At that moment both leaders
were accompanied by ministers and other high officials of both countries.
Nevertheless, the State Minister did not clarify a certain time for the
acceptance of Myanmar.

RI-Myanmar has signed a MoU between PT Citra Lamtorgung with the
Union of Myanmar Economic Holding, one of Myanmar's state enterprises,
respectively represented by Mrs Siti Hardiyanti Rukmana and Major General
Than Oo. The signing which was witnessed by President Soeharto and the SLORC
Chairman General Than Shwe was for the investment of a flour mill
development. Besides that was also signed a MoU between PT Tri Putra, the
affiliated company of IPTN with Myanmar Airways for domestic flights with
planes supplied by IPTN.

Besides that, PT Astra, PT Sampoerna which made a joint venture with Myanmar
Tobacco, then Astra Petro Nusa which made an operation contract at oil
fields in the hinterland. Also Astra's automative division, and BDNI had
opened representatives at the beginning of 1996, and Prima Komeksindo and PT
Semen Cibinong. While Pertamina and Gadjah Tunggal are at the moment in the
negotiation stage. Myanmar's internal affairs.

Answering questions about Aung San Syu Kyi, State Minister Moerdiono said
that the SLORC Chairman General Than Shwe already had explained the problem
to President Soeharto. "I feel that Mr President understands what was
explained by the Board's Chairman," said Moerdiono. It was said that all
this time the Myanmar government had tried to make approaches with Aung San
Syu Kyi.

"But the result is what we witness until now. Of course Mr President is as
usual, as is the base of our foreign policy, not to interfere in the
internal affairs of another country, we fully believe that the government
and people in concern can solve the problems which they face," said the
State Minister.

Alatas clarified, President Soeharto totally did not brought forward the
problem of Aung San Syu Kyi or the internal condition of Myanmar in a direct
way. This was only done to uphold the ASEAN spirit which will respect the
sovereignty of another state and not interfere in the internal affairs of a
state.

"Because our position is, that we consider this a matter which we normally
do. So what we do is to convey the results of the debates and talks in
Singapore. Factually I have conveyed it with all positions, views and
expectations which was brought forward by the western countries. And the
ASEAN answers on said positions, views and expectations," he clarified.

In unison with the State Minister, Alatas stressed that in order to overcome
said situation, the SLORC had repeatedly approached Aung San Syu Kyi for a
dialogue, but had until now not succeeded yet. Answering the possibility
that Indonesia would become the mediator for both parties, Alatas said that
it was possible if there was a request from outside.

Alatas clarified that Indonesia's attitude in supporting Myanmar to become
an ASEAN member had no relation with Aung San Syu Kyi's letter which was
sent to almost all ASEAN leaders, requesting the postponement of Myanmar's
acceptance. "Because our attitude was since long before that letter, since
the beginning our attitude was like this," said Alatas.

"As I explained, Indonesia and Asia will not and will never relate internal
problems as a pre-condition or criteria to the entering of said country as a
new member of ASEAN. We will also not and never touch something which we
consider as a political or econmomic system of a country, because we
consider it a basic principle, namely to respect a principle and economy of
a country. We will never try to enter it or propose to change it," Alatas
ascertained. (*)

AFP: UN ENVOY MEETS SUU KYI, SHAN OPPOSITION LEADER
February 27, 1997

VISITING ENVOY: A United Nations envoy visiting Myanmar last week met
pro-democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi and Shan opposition leader Hkun
Htun Oo as well as Myanmar government officials.

Mr Francesc Vendrell, director of the East Asia desk in the UN's political
affairs
department, who left Myanmar at the weekend, was quoted as saying on
Monday that his discussion with Myanmar officials was "a fresh and honest
exchange of views on the current situation, and it was valuable". -- AFP.

NLM: RANGOON TO SELL YETAGUN NATURAL GAS TO THAILAND
February 23, 1997

Yangon, 23 Feb - Minister for Energy U Khin Maung Thein and Ministers
at the Prime Minister's Office U Than Shwe and Brig-Gen Lun Maung
inspected Yadana Natural Gas Project of Myanma Oil and Gas Enterprise in
Kanbauk area, Yebyu Township, Dawei District, this morning.  The ministers
were accompanied by officials of the Ministry of Energy and General Manager
Mr H Madeo of Total Myanmar Exploration and Production of France.

In the camp meeting hall, Mr Madeo explained inland and offshore laying of
pipelines and progress of the project. MOGE Managing Director U Kyaw Nyein
reported to the ministers on offshore oil and gas exploration.

At the Yetagun Natural Gas Project base camp opening ceremony in Kanbauk
Village, Minister U Khin Maung Thein said the project, like Yadana Project,
was aimed at selling the successfully explored and tested gas to Thailand
through
direct pipelines.

He called on the local residents to cooperate in implementation of the
project as
it would also contribute to regional development and long-term national
interests.
Managing Director Mr R Morris of Texaco Exploration Myanmar Inc expressed
thanks. Minister U Khin Maung Thein presented him gifts. Ministers U Khin
Maung Thein and Brig-Gen Lun Maung and Mr R Morris formally launched
the base camp. Minister U Khin Maung Thein unveiled the inauguration plaque.

Gas from the Yedagun Natural Gas Project will be sold to Thailand at 200
million cubic-feet per day beginning 1999. A 20-inch-diametre pipe will be
laid for 40 miles inland and 130 miles offshore.

The ministers also went onboard pipe-laying barge Castoro-5 of Saipem of Italy,
a sub-contractor company. Saipem's Vice-Chairman Mr M Ferrasis and Engineer
Mr A F Woolgar explained underwater pipe-laying. The minister presented gifts
to the employees.

The ministers also viewed the cranes moving of concrete-covered pipes onto the
barge, the process of joining of the pipes and laying the joined pipes into the
sea. They also viewed the computer room which controlled the pipeline and the
bridge of the ship.

The ministers helicoptered from Thailand-Myanmar border to Nat Eindaung natural
gas metering station and had an aerial view of the pontoon bridge at Heinze
Creek
in Kanbauk area, the pipeline laid inland for Yadana Project and the motor road
along the pipeline.

NATION: GAS LINE IMPACT REPORT REJECTED
February 27, 1997  (abridged)
Concrete plan sought from PTT
PENNAPA HONGTHONG

THE environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the Petroleum
Authority of Thailand's Yadana gas pipeline was again rejected
yesterday, further delaying construction of the controversial project.

It was the second time that approval of the EIA has refused by an
Office of Environmental Policy and Planning committee, which
cited inadequate information about key wildlife species found
along the pipeline's proposed route as its reason for rejecting the document.

"The information about the wildlife to be affected by the project
and the action plan to reduce the impact are still unclear," a
source on the committee said. "The Petroleum Authority of
Thailand (PTT) must improve on it again."

According to the source, who asked not to be named, the committee
ordered the PTT to write a more concrete action plan to reduce
the project's impact on forests and wildlife, describing the
current measures submitted by the state enterprise as too vague.

In addition, the PTT must conduct more studies into key wildlife
species in the forest, including the elephant and the great
hornbill, the source said.

The decision evidently surprised the PTT, as prior to the
committee meeting, project director Somphongse Tantisuvanichkul
expressed confidence that the EIA would be approved. The PTT
refused to comment following the committee's decision.

According to Sawad, the additional information should be
completed and submitted to the committee within a week.

Meanwhile, the committee did not raise any objections over the
issue of earthquakes, which caused the most controversy at a
technical hearing on the project held two weeks ago in Kanchanaburi.

NATION: THAI, BURMESE FORCES CLASH NEAR REFUGEE SITE
February 28, 1997
Yindee Lertcharoenchok

KANCHANABURI - Thai paratroopers and Burmese forces clashed
briefly yesterday morning nearer the Thai border village of  Pu
Nam Rawn where over 2,300 Karen refugees are taking refuge from a
Burmese military offensive against Karen rebels.

Although there were no casualties on either side, the clash shook
the refugees, mainly children, women and the elderly, who
complained that they were now living under the threat of attack
from Burmese troops.

Despite strong assurances form Maj Gen Thaweep Suwannasingh,
commander of the site is safe and well protected by Thai troops,
the shaken refugees said their open shelter was just three
kilometres away from a former Karen rebel outpost known as Gate No 1.

The outpost, which was a former taxation gate of the Karen National Union
(KNU), was captured by the Burmese army on Wednesday, the same day the
rebel group burned down and abandoned their 4th Brigade headquarters at
Htee Kee before the advance by Burmese troops.

The fall of Htee Kee to the Burmese army appears to mark the end of the
KNU's control over the resource rich 4th Brigade area, which covers the
southern Burmese districts of Mergui and Tavoy.  It also marks the first time
the Burmese government in Rangoon has managed to assert full control over
the entire 2,500 km frontier with Thailand.

Although the Burmese troops fired four mortar shells during the
ground clashes yesterday, local Thai forces were not permitted by
the 9th Division to retaliate with mortars as there was concern
that the situation could deteriorate further. Shortly after an
exchange of machine gun fire, Thai forces captured a 17 year old
Burmese soldier who was part of a petrol group near the refugee camp.

Karen refugees and camp leaders complained that the clashes
confirmed their fears that their shelter site was "absolutely
unsafe" from possible Burmese attack or harassment.

Throughout yesterday, camp leaders, and relief workers who were
allowed into Pu Nam Rawn for the first time, repeatedly asked the
9th Division officers and local authorities to urgently relocate
the refugees to a safer area.

Camp chairman Thra Charles said the refugees including many
disabled and over 1,500 children under the age of 10, were afraid
to spend the night so close to the Burmese forces.

"The refugees are all holding on to their bags and belongings,
ready to flee at any sign of danger. At night, children cry and
mothers cannot sleep for fear of possible Burmese attacks, " he said.

He added that the refugees were now in a serious dilemma as they
could not return to Burma and are under threat of forced
repatriation by the Thai Army.

In an interview yesterday after meeting representatives of
Burmese relief agencies and the UN High Commissioner for
Refugees, Maj Gen Thaweep denied that the refugees, Maj Gen
Thaweep denied that the refugees from Bong Ti Pass in Sai Yok
district were pushed back into Burma.

He said the 800 refugees "volunteered to return to a safe area in Burma."
But Pu Nam Rawn refugees and relief workers said about 3,000 refugees
were taken by truck from Bong Ti on Tuesday and Wednesday to Ratchaburi's
Suan Phung district and pushed back across the border.

As a measure of protection, Thaweep said his Army division would
on Monday relocate the refugees from Pu Nam Rawn to a site in
Suan Phung where a new camp will be set up.

Other Karen refugees in camps in Sangkha Buri district will also
be moved to the new camp and the whole relocation process will
last about two weeks.

Relief workers said they were asked during the meeting with
Thaweep to provide assistance to the refugees at the new site.

THAILAND TIMES: OFFICER ALLEGES KNU YOUTHS PLEADED
TO GO BACK
February 28, 1997
By Benchamas C

KANCHANABURI : The commander of the army's Surasi Task Force
claimed yesterday that number of the Karen National Union's (KNU)
boy soldiers had tearfully begged to be sent back over the border
to continue their fight against the Slorc.

"So what could we do? We let them go, " said Maj Gen Taweep
Suwanasing, addressing representatives of NGOs in Kanchanaburi province.

The commander said 70 young men, aged between 12 and 15 years,
had demanded to be returned to the Mergui-Tavoy district in southern Burma,
where the Slorc is waging a major offensive against the KNU.
He claimed the boys had said they were prepared to die for their cause.

However NGOs and student groups immediately countered that the
commander was trying to cover up what was in fact a forced repatriation.
Moreover, they said, a total of 200 KNU refugees had been driven back by the
Surasi Task Force of the army's 9th Division on Tuesday.

An official from the Burma Border Consortium, an NGO, put the
figure even higher, claiming that some 330 young men had been
forced back by Taweep's officers. The obviously outraged official
accused Taweep of completely twisting the story.

The National Council of the Union of Burma, an umbrella
organization for Burmese dissident groups, said that all male
asylum seekers had been returned to their homeland and that only
women and children had been allowed to remain on Thai soil.
Wednesday night saw a further 2,000 refugees.

THAILAND TIMES: US EMBASSY JOINS HUMAN RIGHTS GROUPS
TO EXPRESS CONCERN  (abridged)
February 28, 1997

KANCHANABURI/BANGKOK: The Thai army yesterday virulently denied
reports that it had used force to return hundreds of refugees to
the war zone in Burma, with the army chief insisting to the House
Committee on Foreign Affairs that there was no truth behind the allegations.

Meanwhile, as if trying to prove their sincerity, the army's
Surasi Task Force called several non-government organizations and
related government agencies to an emergency meeting yesterday to
provide assistance for the refugees.

However their, pleas of innocence fell on deaf ears as far as
humanitarian organizations were concerned, with even the US
coming out in condemnation of the army.

"The act of forcibly returning the refugees runs counter to
Thailand's traditional humanitarian policy of providing a safe
haven to those fleeing persecution," a US embassy spokesman said.

Issuing a direct call to Burma's ruling junta, the US embassy
said it should solve its internal problems through dialogue
rather than using "brutal force" against its own citizens.

Even stronger words were voiced by the London-based human rights
group Amnesty International, who said the returnees were at risk
of death at the hands of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (Slorc), Burma's military junta.

Condemnation of the Thai army also came from student groups in
Thailand, with both Thai nationals and exiled Burmese questioning
the military's action.

Plans to launch stiff complaints to Prime Minister Chavalit
Yongchaiyudh and other ministers concerned were expressed by the
Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma (TACDB).

However army Commander in Chief Gen Chettha Thanajaro, speaking
yesterday to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs was adamant
that the army "had no policy to drive the refugees back to their homeland."

Surin Pitsuwan, deputy chairman of the panel, said the military
had confirmed that it had not and would not use force to send
asylum seekers back across the border when the situation there was still tense.

He said the human rights groups may have misinterpreted the
army's removal of some of the refugees to another region of
Thailand as a move to send them back home.

A further 2,500 crossed into Thailand yesterday following the fall of the
Karen National Union (KNU)'s Pako stronghold on Wednesday night.

The plight of the refugees was top of the agenda at the meeting
held yesterday within the compound of the Surasi Task Force,
chaired by Task Force Commander Maj Gen Taweep Suwanasing. Also
in attendance were representatives form the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees, the Burma Border Consortium (BBC), the
TACDB, and a number of government agencies.

Taweep told the assembled crowd that there were around 5,000 refugees
under the control of his forces in Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi provinces,
adding that the number is expected to have doubled by next week.

BKK POST: BURMESE INTRUDERS KILL CUSTOMS OFFICIAL
February 27, 1997

Burmese intruders shot and killed a customs official in Mae Sot
district on Tuesday. Khwandchai Uttarokul received multiple wounds after
a number of men who had illegally crossed into Thailand fired at him with
shot guns before escaping to the Burmese border town of Myawaddy.
The shooting took place around 10pm north of the Thai-Burmese
Friendship Bridge where Mr Khwanchai and colleague Kasem
Jariwatthanont were patrolling near the MOei River to prevent
goods smuggling. Officials suspected the attackers were Burmese who often
sneaked across the border at night to steal from Thai villagers.

BANGKOK POST: THAI-BURMESE PLAN TO OPEN BORDER PASS
February 27, 1997

Thai and Burmese authorities yesterday discussed the opening of a
border pass to allow cross-border trading and boost tourism.
The meeting on trade cooperation was the fourth organised in Mae
Sariang district by the local Thai-Burmese Border Committee.
The 11-strong Burmese team from Kayah state was led by Col Ye Myint.
Col Thawatchai Wattana, commander of the 7th infantry Regiment's
special task force, said both sides planned to open a border pass
at Ban Nam Phiang Din.

ANNOUNCEMENT: INVITING BAY AREA FRIENDS
February 28, 1997

Dear Bay Area Residents,
You are cordially invited to attend dinner/disscussion session at Kings
Bowl in Milbrae, CA.(corner of Milbrae Ave. and El Camino Real) where
two of our special guests from ABSDF will be present.  A nominal $10.00
fee will include the dinner and a chance to meet with Dr. Naing Aung, Ko
Aung Naing Oo and other fellow activists. Your presence and any
contributions will be much appreciated since this is intended to help
our fellow student friends in need, at the border.  The schedule is as follows:

March 1, 1997, Saturday  7pm-8pm ----Buffet dinner
                         8pm-10pm--- Discussion Session

If you'd like to know further details please promtly call the following
numbers;   During the day,   (415)755-5566 ask for Lwin or page me at
(415)605-3114 or (415)757-0701 at night.

Thanks,
Nyunt Lwin