Chin Women's Organisation: Request

Subject: Chin Women's Organisation: Request for Chin school in India

Chin Displaced Women's Primary School has been opened in Aizawl, Mizoram
state, India on 19th October 1996.

More than twenty thousand Chin families have been staying in this north
eastern state of India since the Burmese Army's take over in 1988. Most
of the children of these families have been growing without proper
schooling since then.

At the moment, the school is more like a grammar school. Volunteer
teachers have been teaching Burmese and Chin so that the children
can read and write first. (Though we want to teach them English too, we
cannot afford to hire an English teacher yet.)

As we cannot afford to rent a room, we have been using a small flat of a
Chin refugee as our class room. The students sit on the floor and write
on their laps.

Due to limited resouces, we can take only 37 students (29 children and
eight adults) this year. If you can help us, we would like to take more
students.

Our aims and objectives are:

1) To give education to the Chin displaced people so that they develop
   Burma in the future.
2) To teach the displaced people Chin, Burmese and English languages.
3) To promote and preserve our language and literature.

A Chin refugee said that it was too hard to survive in this foreign land
when she could not read signboards written in English and when she could
not read, write or speak even "one-two-three" in English.

We would like to request everyone to provide us with assistance for this
primary school so that we can run it better and continuously.

						Zatawni
						Chairperson
						Chin Womens Organisation
						Aizawl, Mizoram, India.