Information Sheet No.A-0027

                             Information Sheet
                                 **************
No.A-0027					                    Date.8-3-97

V.O.A (Myanmar Language) misinformed Myanmar
listeners.
	On the 6th of March at 6 pm (Myamar Standard Time) VOA
Myanmar Language news program mentioned that President
Mr. Nelson Mandele of  South Africa urged the World body such as the
United Nations and Non-Allied Movement to exert pressure
on Myanmar.

	In the (Thai)- Nation newspaper of the 7th March 1997, the
same news on President Nelson Mandela by the Agence France
Press was published. The AFP story went as such -(Mandela told a
news conference that Burma's admission into ASEAN, which
pursues a policy of "constructive engagement" with junta, would not
effect his country's efforts to expandtions with the grouping." We
are willing to deal with any region irrespective of the internal policies
of those regions," said Mandela, whose release from nearly three
decades in South Africa's apartheid jails was aided by international
pressure. He said countries with a record of  human rights violations
had been accepted by the United Nations, the Commonwealth and
the Non-Allied Movement, and "why would we let ourselves depart
from what international organization are doing? "He, however,
added that South Africa' will be willing to play our part ' if the
international community decided on concerted action.)

	The Myanmar authorities regret that the Voice of America
permits its Myanmar language staff to performed a such a manner
that it contadicts the ethnics of journalism.

*********