Downloading and Saving RealAudio Fi

Subject: Downloading and Saving RealAudio Files
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 22:54:38 -0500

Dear Friends,

I have received a number of inquiries about how one can download and save
the RealAudio files for local replay.

With help from Doug Kaufman, Thomas Tongue at Imagiware and a certain
amount of mucking about on my own, an answer has emerged. Actually, two
answers.

It turns out that the RealAudio Player Plus (now in the 4.0 version) will
allow you to save these files from within the Player. Unlike the free
version of the Player, the Plus must be purchased (for a modest sum) from
RealAudio.

The home-made proceedure goes like this: when you click on the link to
the RealAudio file, a URL for a .ram text file appears in the location
box. It will look like this:

http:users.imagiware.com/wtongue/3997a.ram

Simply delete the "m" from ".ram" so that the URL looks like this:

http:users.imagiware.com/wtongue/3997a.ra

Then select "save" or "save as" under the File menu. Select the
destination for the saved file in the dialogue box. Then, go get a cup of
coffee and catch a little CNN while you wait for the download to be
completed.

Peace... and many downloads,

Wrightson