SLORC Ambassador meets BNMC in Flor

Subject: SLORC Ambassador meets BNMC in Florida

---------- Burmese dialogue startle in America? Burmese military
  ambassador meets militant democracy fighters.   U Tin Win,  Burmese
  Ambassador in America, Washington,  met with members of Burmese
  National Movement Committee Florida  (March 9, Sunday) on his tour in
  Florida.  The ambassador held two meetings with Burmese Americans in
  Florida and explained about the  standing policy of the Sate Law and
  Order Restoration Committee (SLORC) in Burma. He also illustrated the
  current fighting against the Karen rebels in the Burma-Thailand
  Boarder.  The Burmese National Movement Committee, Florida is most
  active group in America for fighting to wipe out the military rule in
  their native land, Burma. In his opening speech, Dr. Matthew Lim
  said," We know Democracy does not come overnight.  But please do not"
  give us the Burmese  way to democracy or Myanmar way to Human Rights.
  Do not give us microliberalization with macro-control."  Eight hours"
  of heated discussion, presenting their own  lines ended peacefully.
  "Regarding to human rights issue, the US Government is miss-informed,"
  there is no slave labor system in Burmese culture," said the"
  ambassador.  At the end, the Florida democracy fighters put up their
  demands to the Burmese military rulers through the Ambassador for
  democracy rule in Burma. The official statement stated," We strongly"
  believe in democracy. We are not happy with the current situations in
  Burma for antagonistic treatment to the political leaders and
  increase of drug production.  We are very much unhappy for the
  economic chaos in our native soil that came as a result of  the
  military rule.  The only way out is the military to hand the political
  power to the peoples' representatives of 1990 election. " The"
  ambassador refused to accept the demand saying, " It's not the true"
  situation".  In Burma, the Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi"
  had been urging for dialogue for many years.  Her reconciliation
  request had been ignored by the military government repeatedly.   "
  This meeting is beginning of dialogue between the military government
  and the pro-democracy fighters. I hope in future there will be times,
  when all the problems of Burma would be discuss and harmonize in
  meetings like this," said, Dr. Nyunt Lwin in his chairman's speech. "
  "Is that the real trend? The Burmese pro-democracy fighters around the"
  world are watching the ambassador's next step.  end end