Statement of KYO-Kaw Thoo Lei

Statement of Karen Youth Organization Kaw Thoo Lei (KYO-KTL). Pertaining to
an intensive
military operation waged by SLORC against KNU.

1).  The SLORC broke off peace talk with KNU arbitrarily after the fourth
meeting.  They are now trying to annihilate the Karen by means of intensive
military operations against (KNU).  We KYO strongly oppose and severely
condemn the inhuman action of the SLORC.

2).  The war of annihilation waged against the KNU by SLORC will not end
the
civil war which has occurred between the opposition armed forces and SLORC,
instead all the ethnic nationalities and people of the country will suffer
loss of life, deterioration of health poverty and uncertain security.

3).  Because of the SLORC military operation, all the displaced persons
including Karen who seek refuge in the THAI territory are discouraged and
disappointed.  All are fearful due to the threat of the SLORC and it's
lackey
the DKBA as their brutality is well known.

4).  The SLORC proclaimed "non disintegration of the soldarity of the
people
is our cause, non disintegration of the union is our cause" but in practice
their action contravene their proclamation, moreover the SLORC has no
sympathy for the ethnic nationalities including the Karen.  We the Karen
youth organization KYO are very disppointed by the SLORC's action.

5).  We KYO earnestly implore that the international benevolent
organizations
and UNHCR may kindly take care of those many thousands of displaced Karen
people and other ethnic nationalities who take care refuge in the THAI
territory, to promote their well being, their health, education for young
folk and guarantee their security.

6).  The risk is that the war of liquidation against the KNU will prolong
the
civil war and engender a chaotic situation for all the nationalities
including the Karen people.  Such action will only create more suspiction
fear and disppointment.  Therefore to be able to establish internal peace
by
an early date and procure genuine human rights, we KYO earnestly request
the
international communities to be sympathetic and consider our cause and give
the Karen the necessary help.