LETTER TO EUROPEAN COMMISSION(12/3/

Subject: LETTER TO EUROPEAN COMMISSION(12/3/97)

/* Written 16 Mar 6:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Letter to European Commission (12/3/97) "------------ */

LETTER TO THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION
*********************************
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
Australia

March 12, 1997.

Mrs Daniella Napoli
Chef d'Unite, Human Rights Unit
European Commission
Rue de la Loi 200
B - 1049 Brussels, Belgium.

Dear Mrs Napoli:

I am a Burmese national currently residing in Adelaide Australia. I am
writing to appeal to you and the European Commission with regards to the
deteriorating human rights situation in Burma. In this connection, I have
enclosed my appeal letter to the President of United Nations Security
Council and the Secretary-General. I also have enclosed a copy of letter to
the U.S. Secretary of State, Dr Madeleine Albright, for information.

With this note, I appeal the European Commission and its member Countries
to support the United Nations Security Council Action on Burma: (1) to
impose an international arms embargo (2) to create Safe Zones for refugees
from Burma and (3) to authorize to send human rights monitors and
peace-keeping mission to Burma.

As you may aware, there have also been recent reports of the Thai
authorities forcibly repatriate Karen refugees into war zones. I
particularly appeal the European Commission for your support in the UNHCR
to give protection and assistance to Burma's refugees in Thailand. I
believe the international community's continuing attention is very
important in solving the Burma's refugee situation and also of the human
rights and political problems.

In closing, I thank you and European Commission for your kind attention to
the Burma situation.

Yours respectfully,
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */