Letters to UN/Albright

Dear Ms. Albright

I am extremely concerned about the discussion of repatriating ethnic
Karen and Burmese minority refugees from Thailand to Burma (Myanmar).
Recent reports indicate that Thailand's National Security Council will
return refugees when the current fighting subsides.

My fear is that, while the military offensive may temporarily end with
the monsoon season, there will be no monitoring of this repatriation by
the international community.  The treatment of the Burmese population by
the SLORC has been well documented since they gained power illegitimately
in 1990 (forced military portering, forced labor, and human rights abuses
including rape, torture, and murder).  There is every reason to believe
that this inhumane and unacceptable treatment will be extended to the
repatriated minority members.

I urge you to increase pressure on the Royal Thai Government regarding
the proposed forced repatriation.  Without United Nation's or international
monitoring, the returning refugees face a distressing fate.

In addition, it is time to enact the economic sanctions outlined in the
Cohen-Feinstein Amendment. Pressure must be exerted by the international
community on the SLORC to end their unacceptable treatment of their populace.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Tim Landon

Sent to: