Unocal Workers Plans 3-Day Strike

                  Reuters, Wednesday, March 19, 1997 at 20:38

     LOS ANGELES, March 19 (Reuter) - The union representing workers at
four Unocal Corp refiners in California said late Wednesday it would soon
issue a three-day strike warning against the company, citing disagreement
over how to close out its contract before Tosco Corp (NYSE:TOS) assumes
ownership.
     Unocal Corp will own the four California plants until Tosco takes
over on March 31.
     Union officials, who earlier rejected a final contract offer from
Tosco, said they may strike against current owner Unocal because the
company has failed to firm up certain retirement and pay benefits before
they end their contract.
     "The union has given its negotiating committee a strike notice and
has unanimously rejected Tosco's offer," said Howard Spencer, a local
union president.
     About 900 members of the union work at the four Unocal refineries.
     Union officials say they are also concerned the four plants would
not run safely if Tosco's proposed 15 percent staff cut goes through.
     "We feel the safety issue is big," Spencer said.
     But if members strike, officials said they will keep trying to
negotiate a new contract with Tosco.
      "We're ready to work for them," Spencer said.

 Copyright 1997, Reuters News Service