No Subject Given

NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
815 Fifteenth Street, N.W., Suite 910, Washington, DC 20005

April 22, 1997

       BURMESE APPLAUD CLINTON

The National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma applauds President Clinton's
action in imposing sanctions against the illegal military junta, the State Law and Order
Restoration Council, in Burma. This long-awaited measure by the Administration reaffirms
that the United States stands for the rule of law, democracy and human rights and brings
hope to the Burmese people. We also acknowledge the support of Secretary Albright and
others in the US government who worked to make this possible.

We are particularly thankful for the bi-partisan support we have received in the US
Congress and we specially wish to thank Senators Mc Connell, Moynihan, Leahy and
D'Amato for introducing mandatory sanctions during the last session of Congress. Also, to
House members Rohrabacher, Pelosi, Porter, Lantos, and their colleagues who
co- sponsored legislation towards this end.

Additionally, we want to thank the grassroots movement, the labor unions and many other
individuals and organizations who have worked tirelessly and selflessly in giving voice to
the political aspirations of the Burmese people. This Executive Order of the President
outlawing new investments to Burma should be seen by the international community as a
response to fulfilling the pleas of the democratic forces in Burma.

The National Coalition Government believes that sanctions imposed by the United States
will eventually create conditions conducive to a dialogue for peace and national
reconciliation in Burma. The sanctions should therefor remain in effect until that goal is
achieved. It is our hope that other governments will follow the lead of the United States
and join in effectuating similar measures that will help restore democracy and human rights
in Burma

ooooo00000ooooo

For Additional Information Contact:
Tel: 	(202) 393-7342.