Do more now! Australian Burmese

To the slow-moving Burmese students out here in Melbourne,
	I have been reading your tedious letters regarding the possible
admission of Burma into ASEAN. A lot of anger and disappointment appears
to have surfaced amongst your community here in Melbourne - quite an
understandable reaction with respects to the atrocities committed by the
military government ruling your country.
	But what has me stumped or confused is why the relatively large
Burmese community here is doing nothing significant to draw attention to
the plight of their people back home! I am quite sure that if my family
and my loved ones were in the same situation or danger as many of your
families are - I would be doing a lot more than performing a few menial
plays at local universities, or an annual march (which is nothing more
than a joke due to its festive appearance).
	Entry into ASEAN is a pivotal point in your countries political
history. Admission into an organisation such as ASEAN I believe, could
only result in the strengthening of the grip that the military government
has over your country! Do something now - look at the Pauline Hanson
fiasco here in Australia. A failure by John Howard to suppress her when
she emerged has resulted in a growth of support for her movement.
Ie. don't wait too long before you finally act!!!
	There are a vast number of options you might want to consider -
for example a 24 hour vigil in front of parliament house. A few students
could permanently camp outside of parliament house. Turns could be taken
amongst each other as there are enough of you to ensure that someone
stays there all year if need be! Another option is a weekly or
fortnightly gathering in front of parliament house, just to let the
politicians know that you wont go away! Any publicity is good publicity,
but you have to widen your scope further than small plays at local
universities!
	I am not saying that the above ideas are good ideas - but quite
simply that you have to do something, as nobody else is going to hand
freedom over to your people on a silver platter!! So please give your
docile community leaders a kick in the ass - and make your situation known!
	If there is anything that I am able to do, please do not refrain
from letting me know. I am not Burmese neither have I ever been there. I
do love a little Burmese girl tough who has been through a lot, and
somehow feel that her problems are now my problems.
	from another disappointed student Ramnik (nik)