International Actions for Teak Week

We are asking groups interested in Burmese democracy and the forests
of Burma to support our Intnational Teak Week by holding some sort of
action during the week of July 1 -7 targeting teak originating in Burma.

Some likely targets would include Danish furniture manufacturers, who
admittedly get much of their teak from Burma, or the stores that retail
such furniture.

Not having traveled extensively, I don't know it there are teak furniture stores
in Japan or how extensive they are in the EU.

But other targets are readily available.

The largest importers of teak from Burma are Thailand, China and India. But much
of this teak is re-exported. So, in India and Thailand, actions directed at the
importers or exporters would be very effective.

Dr. Sein Win has stated his support of a boycott of teak originating from
Burma.

Forced labor is well-documented for logging and hardwood exports and I am
currently working on a report highlighting this aspect of the SLORC's
attrocities.

Please contact the Burma UN Service Office or Rainforest Relief for more info
or to discuss details of targets or plans for actions.

We need to spread this as quickly as possible to have the effect of reducing
teak exports, and therefore funds reaching the SLORC and forced labor for wood.

Thank you.

For Earth,
Tim Keating
Rainforest Relief <relief@xxxxxxx>	phone: 718/832-6775