(8/02/91)NCGUB IS Only Burma's Gove

Subject: (8/02/91)NCGUB IS Only Burma's Government

                        BBC Summary of World Broadcasts

                           October  2, 1991, Wednesday

HEADLINE: ARMY CHIEF ACCUSES POLITICAL PARTIES OF ''DECEIVING THE NATION''

SOURCE: Voice of Myanmar, Rangoon home service 1330 gmt 28 Sep 91

   Excerpts from report

 BODY:
   Maj-Gen Myo Nyunt, commander of the Yangon [Rangoon] Military Command...
toured the No 1 Training Corps this morning [28th September] and the Central
Ordnance Depot later in the afternoon to inspect agricultural and livestock
breeding activities and to give necessary instructions to soldiers and their
dependents... During the tour, Commander Maj-Gen Myo Nyunt addressed a meeting
on the prevailing situation in the country...
   Explaining the situation, the commander said ... As had been stated in the
Announcement No 1 of the Minister of Home and Religious Affairs on 9th
September, some political parties and public service personnel today are
deceiving the nation.

   At 2045 on 9th September, BBC interviewed  Sein Win,  the leader of the
parallel group in the jungle [National Coalition Government of the Union of
Burma] . When BBC asked whether Dr  Sein Win's  government had the right to
legitimacy,  Sein Win  answered I am certain that our organization is only one
with the legal representation because we were given the mandate by the majority
of the elected representatives at secret conferences held in Yangon and
Mandalay. We are therefore a legal government. When BBC asked Are you, U  Sein
 Win  and colleagues, still members of the NLD [National League for Democracy] ?
 Sein Win  said Yes, we are still members of the National League for Democracy.

   Maj-Gen Myo Nyunt said There are people in our country who believe that only
news presented by the BBC is true. Now, I want to ask these people how they
would take that report. If those people believe the report is true, how then are
we to take the statement issued by the NLD representatives that they have
nothing to do with the  Sein Win  government. If we take all the factors into
consideration, it must be concluded that political parties are deceiving the
government...
   Today, the military government is working phase by phase towards transferring
power systematically. That our government matches its words with deeds is quite
evident. But some political parties are demanding that the power be transferred
immediately. They think the Defence Forces are an obstacle to the transfer of
power and are trying to divide the Defence Forces. This is something that the
forces personnel must always keep in mind. They must stay united in accordance
with the slogan United we shall remain whoever might try to break us...