CLINTON SAID BURMA WILL BE ISOLATED

I emphasise that Burma's international isolation is not an inevitability
05:12 p.m May 20, 1997 Eastern

``I emphasise that Burma's international isolation is not an
inevitability,'' Clinton said, noting that
``the authorities in Rangoon retain the ability to secure improvements in
relations with the United
States as well as with the international community.''

The United States and other Western countries have accused Burma of human
rights abuses and
for failing to recognise the democratically elected government of the
opposition National League
for Democracy, co-founded by Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

The order prohibits U.S. citizens from entering into contracts that involve
the economic
development of resources in Burma, including oil and natural gas.

It also prohibits Americans from buying ownership shares in developing
resources in the country or
helping non-U.S. citizens who wish to perform actitivities forbidden under
the ban. The United
States is the fourth-largest investor in Burma, after France, Singapore and
Thailand. ^REUTER@