CLINTON SAID BURMA WILL BE ISOLATED (r)

Subject: Re: CLINTON SAID BURMA WILL BE ISOLATED

>From: moe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Julien Moe)
>

>I emphasise that Burma's international isolation is not an inevitability
>05:12 p.m May 20, 1997 Eastern
>
>``I emphasise that Burma's international isolation is not an
>inevitability,'' Clinton said, noting that
>``the authorities in Rangoon retain the ability to secure improvements in
>relations with the United
>States as well as with the international community.''
>
>The United States and other Western countries have accused Burma of human
>rights abuses and
>for failing to recognise the democratically elected government of the
>opposition National League
>for Democracy, co-founded by Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
>
>The order prohibits U.S. citizens from entering into contracts that involve
>the economic
>development of resources in Burma, including oil and natural gas.
>
>It also prohibits Americans from buying ownership shares in developing
>resources in the country or
>helping non-U.S. citizens who wish to perform actitivities forbidden under
>the ban. The United
>States is the fourth-largest investor in Burma, after France, Singapore and
>Thailand. ^REUTER@

Australian Baptist World Aid Inc             Australian Baptists in Partnership
PO Box 122                                   with the poor
Frenchs Forest                               ><>
NSW 2086                                     Phone:  +61 2 9451 1199
Australia                                    Fax:    +61 2 9452 4720