BURMESE REBEL LEADER ATTACKED ON TH

Subject:       BURMESE REBEL LEADER ATTACKED ON THAI BORDER

       BURMESE REBEL LEADER ATTACKED ON THAI BORDER

Mae  Hong Son (Thailand),   May 29:  A  senior member of an
ethnic  rebel group  and his  daughter were  injured when a
group  of armed  men said  to be  Burmese soldiers attacked
them in this town on be Burma border, rebel sources said on
Tuesday.

They said Mr Jealae Pawla, a senior official in the Karenni
National Progress Party,  and his 12-year-old daughter were
wounded  when  the men  fired on  their sprayed  the house,
which  had seven occupants,  with M-16 and AK-47 rifles for
about five minutes before retreating to the Burmese side of
the border, a rebel source said.

Mr Pawla,  a minister of the Prime Minister's office of the
KNPP,   was wounded in the arm.  His daughter was listed in
critical condition with stomach injuries.

"Burmese   soldiers  were  responsible  for  attacking  the
house,"  said  Mr  Aung  Mya,  the  commander  of  the KNPP
guerrillas  who  are  now  living  in  a  refugee  camp  in
Thailand.

A Thai Army officer based on the bonder said it was not yet
certain who was responsible for the attack.

"For  the  time  being  we  still  unable  to  say  who was
responsible  for  the  attack,"  colonel  Decha Satihangkul
said. (Reuter)

                   The  Asian Age 21 May 1997.
   News and Information Bureau, All Burma Students League.
****************************(THE END)*********************

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |