Japan urges SLORC to free detainee

Subject: Japan urges SLORC  to free detainees

Thursday May 22

Japan urges Burma to free detainees

TOKYO, May 22 (UPI) _ Japan has urged Burma's military junta to release
detained opposition party members, fearing the arrests will slow the country's
quest for democracy.

In making the plea Thursday, Japan's chief government spokesman has confirmed
reports that up to 60 members of the National League for Democracy led by
Nobel Peace Prize laureate Daw Aung San SuuKyi have been detained without
trial.

Speaking at a media conference, Chief Cabinet Secretary Seiroku Kajiyama
(``Say-ROH-koo Kah-JEE-yah-mah'') noted the Burmese rulers appear to have
arrested NLD members ahead of plans by the opposition group to stage a rally
in Rangoon next week.

The rally was to have commemorated the 1990 Burmese general election, in which
the party scored an overwhelming victory, but that was nullified by the
military takeover.

Kajiyama said, ``We ask the SLORC for no more arrests of NLD members and for
the release of detainees. We are worried that this measure is a reversal of
democratic moves...''

The Japanese official has urged the Burmese government and the NLD to realize
democracy through dialogue.