Myanmar means a lot to the Japanese (r)

Subject: Re: Myanmar means a lot to the Japanese

On 28 May 1997 ausgeo@xxxxxxx wrote:

> From: "ausgeo@xxxxxxx " <ausgeo@xxxxxxx>
>
> Asia Times News
>
> Myanmar means a lot to the Japanese
>
> Stephen Brookes, Yangon, 28th May 1997
>
> There's not much to see yet at the sprawling Mitsui industrial development
> zone on the northern outskirts of Yangon. It's a flat expanse of virgin
> ground, broken only by a few scattered construction buildings, stacks of pipe
> waiting to be laid and cement trucks sending up clouds of dust as they lumber
> across the landscape.
>
> Japan is the ninth-largest investor in Myanmar, with some US$184 million in
> committed investment at the start of this year, most of it in real estate and
> hotel development. About 70 Japanese companies now have branches in Yangon,
> led by large trading groups like Mitsui, Marubeni and Mitsubishi - some of
> whom have been doing business in Myanmar for decades. In recent years,
> Japanese construction companies have entered the market, and small enterprises
> like service centers are now being established.

Let's see now.  Japanese companies now have $184 million worth of approved
investment in Burma.  But Mitsubishi has already lost out on a $140
million light rail contract in San Francisco because of its presence in
Burma.  Now New York, with its $3.4 billion budget is also off limits to
the companies that Brookes mentions.  One has to wonder how the big
Japanese and Korean companies view the rising tide of selective
contracting laws in the US.  Do they think that there will be no more new
laws?  Do they assume that the trend will continue (obviously it will).
How do they plan on responding to these local laws?

Brookes also quotes the great Dobbs-Higginson.  We're still wondering how
D-H made out in the lawsuit filed (and won) by Peregrine.  I suppose we
oughtn't to expect Brookes to look into it for us.

LD