Pradit backs bribery claim

The Nation

Pradit backs bribery claim

A TOP judge yesterday said he believed bribes had been paid to certain people
to obtain the release on bail of alleged drug trafficker Li Yun-chung.

''From what I know, Li Yun-chung made payoffs, but I do not know in whose
hands the money ended up," Criminal Court Chief Justice Pradit Ekmanee said.

Li is wanted by US authorities on a charge of heroin smuggling. He was granted
bail by Judge Somchai Udomwong during extradition proceedings and subsequently
fled to Burma.

Burmese authorities handed him back during Prime Minister Chavalit
Yongchaiyudh's visit to Rangoon earlier this month.

Pradit denied reports that people with links to Judge Somchai, his deputy, had
approached him seeking leniency if Somchai was found to have acted wrongly in
granting bail.

''No one has come to me to secure a reduced sentence for Somchai, if he should
be found guilty of an offence," Pradit said.

Li initially confessed to making payoffs on his return to Thailand, but later
recanted.