NCUB statement on Decision to Accep

Subject: NCUB statement on Decision to Accept Burma as Member of ASEAN In Coming July

        NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE UNION OF BURMA

NCUB Statement on Decision to Accept Burma as Member of ASEAN in Coming July

            Regarding the decision of ASEAN foreign ministers meeting in
Kualalumpur to accept Burma as a full menber of the ASEAN in coming July, on
the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the founding of ASEAN, we, the NCUB,
would like to make an earnest statement as follows:-

* The ASEAN countries are cognizant of the fact that the SLORC is not a
goverment that has been elected by the people of Burma, and that the SLORC
has been oppressing extensively the indigenous ethnic nationalities and the
people of Burma, in general, by force of arm, and that the country lacks
stability and has been under increasing tension.

* The ASEAN countries are also aware of the fact that far from recognizing
the call to resolve the political problems of Burma by political means made
by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi leader of the NLD party which won in the May 1990
election, leaders of the ethnic nationalities, pro-democracy leaders and the
patriots, the SLORC has been branding them as the common enemy for total
annihilation and attacking them.

* The ethnic nationalities and the people, the political parties and leaders
representing them, have urged the ASEAN countries, on several occasions, not
to accept Burma as a member of the ASEAN until there is a positive change in
the political situation of the country.

* Given the present sitution, the decision  to accept Burma prematurely as a
member of the ASEAN is gravely in the wrong, as it is diametrically opposed
to the wishes of the ethnic nationalities and the people in general, and
those of the leaders and organizations representing them.

* All actions counter to the wishes of the ethnic nationalities and the
people of a country, and those of the leaders and organizations representing
them, are a serious interference in the internal affairs of that country,
because the right of self-determination of a country does not in any way mean
the self-determination of the military dictatorship which has been subjecting
the people to its repressive rule. The right of self-determination of a
country is meant for the real masters of that country, being the indigenous
ethnic nationalities and the people in general and their true leaders.

* In conclusion, we would like to earnestly urge all concerned to amend the
decision of ASEAN foreign ministers meeting, as the acceptance of Burma as a
member of ASEAN, before there is a positive political change, could lead to
adverse consequences for both Burma as well as ASEAN and, with regard to the
affairs of Burma, to act only in accordance with the wishes of the ethnic
nationalities and the people, and the leaders and organizations representing
them.

June 2, 1997

]

| SalaThai, Bangkok, Thailand - A FirstClass Network - Tel: (662) 679-8382   |
|    BBS:(662) 679-8380 * http://www.sala.net * EMail:jamiezel@xxxxxxxx	     |
| SalaThai provides Free EMail.  Please do not send users Files or add them  |
| to any autoforward or LISTSERV server as it clogs the Internet gatway.     |
| * Please note that after June 30th this address will no longer be valid *  |