Burma decision bad for image

June 10, 1997

BANGKOK POST
Dateline Bangkok

Burma decision bad for image

At a recent meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Asean foreign ministers unanimously
agreed to accept Burma, Laos and Cambodia as new members of the regional
grouping. Upon his return to Thailand, Foreign Minister Prachuab Chaiyasarn
said he hoped people in the seven Asean countries would support Burma's entry.

Mr Prachuab's statement showed that Thailand was not afraid of any
repercussions from a US trade sanction against Burma, announced in May to show
Washington's displeasure with the ruling Burmese military junta.

Reacting to the Asean decision, House foreign affairs committee member
Noppadol Pattama (Democrat) said the grouping should delay the integration of
Burma until the junta agreed to improve human rights and promote democracy in
the country.

The junta's relentless suppression of pro-democracy groups, students and
ordinary people has caused economic hardship in the country. Thousands of
Burmese cross the border to look for jobs in Thailand every year. More than
20,000 Burmese students are also taking refuge in our country.

For years, Thailand has had to take care of these illegal Burmese immigrants,
who work in factories, farms, and the fishing industry. They have taken away
jobs that would have otherwise gone to Thai citizens.

The Thai government's support for Burma's entry runs counter to world opinion.
It creates a negative image of our country. The disadvantages of our pro-Burma
policy far outweigh its advantages because Thailand has to take care of
hundreds of thousands of illegal Burmese who are living and working illegally
in the country.

Editorial from Siam Post