News from today's Bangkok Post

June 13, 1997
Bangkok Post

Panel refuses to publicise gas contract

Deal 'too technical for laymen to understand'

Chakrit Ridmontri
Kanchanaburi

The panel assigned to monitor the Yadana gas pipeline refused yesterday
to make public the contract between the Petroleum Authority of Thailand
(PTT) and its supplier.

The refusal came after the prime minister agreed on Wednesday that
opponents should see details of PTT's deal with the exploration
consortium in Burma and its own pipeline contractors.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh told the opponents to receive copies from the
panel at its monthly meeting in Kanchanaburi yesterday.

Kwanchai Wasawong, the panel chairman, produced a copy of the contract
but refused to let the opponents photocopy it. "You can see the copy
here but can't take it for photocopying," he said.

"Sorry, I don't mean to look down on you but it is in English with
plenty of technical terms, so you may not understand it clearly," said
Mr Kwanchai, also the provincial governor.

"Although the premier has told us to reveal the contract, any people
wishing to see it must be supervised by legal experts and under the
consideration of the committee," he said.

Terms would be misunderstood if the opponents were allowed to translate
it themselves, said Mr Kwanchai, who claimed disclosure would damage
relations with Burma and put the PTT at a disadvantage.

The meeting became tense when Suchin Hongsawadee, a headman and project
supporter, said Gen Chavalit had not said the panel should make the
contract public.

"We are the majority of Kanchanaburi and we also want to see the copy,"
he said. "Please allow the meeting to proceed smoothly," he said as
groups led by the Kanchanaburi Conservation Club walked out.

Phinant Chotirosseranee, leader of the local conservation group, said:
"I will tell the prime minister the panel did not follow his
instructions unless the governor gives us a copy."

The conservation groups want to see the contract to verify claims by the
PTT and Korn Dabbaransi, the industry minister, that Burma is entitled
to collect a fine of the equivalent of the daily gas delivery if the
project is not finished by July next year.

They also want authority to ensure the contractors stick to the terms
and do not use techniques banned according to the environmental impact
assessment.

Suwanant Chatiudompunth, senior vice-president of PTT Gas, said the
panel was setting up groups to monitor construction, revise the impact
assessment and explain the contract to the public.

The groups would answer questions raised by conservation groups and
NGOs, he said, but construction would proceed as planned. The PTT had
agreed to reduce the width of the pipeline route from 20m to 15m, he
said, but may have to blast if digging does not work. The impact
assessment suggested blasting in sensitive areas be avoided.

According to the PTT, 12 percent of the 260km pipeline is finished and
will complete the project before June 1998 to take deliveries of gas
from Burma's Yadana and Yetagun fields.

However, part of the route cuts through 6km of fertile forest in Thong
Pha Phum district and several kilometres in Sai Yok National Park and
the Forestry Department has yet to give its consent.

Panel to look into Burma's allegations

The sub-committee on foreign affairs will look into Burmese allegations
that the Thai army chief had given his consent to Burma's dredging of
the Moei River opposite Mae Sot district of Tak.

Its chairman, M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, said yesterday his panel would
ask Gen Chettha Thanajaro to explain Burmese claims that he had allowed
Burmese authorities to dredge the Moei opposite Ban Rim Moei to change
its course back to what it was originally.

Gen Chettha has already denied Burma's Southern Command chief Maj-Gen
Khet Sein's claim that the dredging was carried out with the Thai army
chief's consent in exchange for opening of the Thai-Burmese friendship
bridge.

"I think we (Thai authorities) were too submissive in letting Burma
dredge the river near the Thai boundary. The committee needs details
about this matter. We will invite Gen Chettha to give an explanation to
us in person, or we will meet him at army headquarters," M.R.
Sukhumbhand said.

But he added the government made the right decision in trying to solve
border problems through negotiation.

Boundary problems were common to all Southeast Asian countries because
they held different copies of aerial maps, he said.

The government should focus on improving cultural and people-to-people
relations between Thailand and Burma and show other countries that
Thailand was promoting democracy and people's freedom, the Democrat MP
added.

Checkpoint closure hits Thai exports

Supamart Kasem
Mae Sot

Burma has sealed a checkpoint on its side of the border for an
indefinite period - resulting in more than 10 million baht worth of
goods being stranded in Thailand.

Burmese officials gave unclear explanations for the reason behind the
closure.

The Thai chairman of the Local Thai-Burmese Border Committee Col
Chatchapat Yaem-ngarmriab, who coordinated border affairs with the
Burmese side, said he had been informed the closure was made for
"security reasons."

More than 10 million baht worth of goods destined for Myawaddy was
stranded on the Thai side of the border as a result.

Third Army Region commander Lt-Gen Thanom Watcharaput said that Burma
has the right to unilaterally close down the checkpoint and he could not
tell how long it will remain closed.

He refused to say if the Burmese move was caused by a conflict over the
border line.

The military did not stand to be affected by the closure but villagers
from both sides of the border who make their living from cross-border
trade are affected, he said.

Border security sources said that apart from the conflict over the
border line, the checkpoint closure could be retaliation for Thai
officials' ban of Burmese workers on boat landings on the Thai side and
the Thai ban of imports of Burmese onion and garlic through the
checkpoint.

(Outlook)
For sale: Burmese virgins

Thousands of young women cross the northern border in the hope of making
their fortunes in Thailand's sex trade, and many return home with more
than they bargained for

BUSSARAWAN TEERAWICHITCHAINAN
<Picture: [Photo]>

It is with great pride that Srima, a 21-year-old woman from the Shan
State in northern Burma, tells how she recently bought a plot of land
for her parents in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai province, and in the next few
months, will have a small house built there.

After three years of hard work moving from one brothel to another,
Srima's dream has finally come true. With a home in Thailand, the woman
believes, her parents can settle peacefully here, instead of risking
their lives in the war-torn Shan State.

The family will soon re-unite. And everything seems perfect, except that
Srima - the family's only breadwinner - may not live long enough to
enjoy all this. She is now infected with Aids.

A similar fate befalls many girls from Burma. Across the 2,400-kilometre
border, tens of thousands of Burmese women have come to Thailand in the
hope of "making it" here. Nobody wants to return home empty-handed. Some
girls do manage to send a lot of money back home, but unfortunately
many, like Srima, also end up with Aids.

A combination of factors draws Burmese girls to seek their fortunes here
- income disparity between Thailand and Burma, easy transportation and
well-connected international sex trade rackets - reveals a recent
research paper, "The Passage of Women from Neighbouring Countries into
the Sex Trade in Thailand" by Dr Kritaya Archavanitkul and Ponsook
Kertsawang.

According to the research, Thailand's current economic slump has not
affected the sex industry. The luring of women into prostitution
continue unabated and has even become more sophisticated with less force
being used and more "soft tricks" which prove just as effective.

This means women, especially those from less-prosperous, neighbouring
countries, can be sucked in to the flesh trade more easily.

At present, by the researchers' conservative estimation, there are at
least 10,000 sex workers from our neighbouring countries of Burma, Laos,
Cambodia, Vietnam, and southern China working in Thailand. Most come
from Burma.

<Picture: *>SOMETHING DIFFERENT

Prostitution in Thailand is changing its face. Because of persistent
campaigning by the government as well as non-governmental organisations
(NGOs), each year fewer Thai girls enter the sex business.

To meet the steadily high demand, foreign girls, therefore, are
recruited instead. This technique is becoming more popular among
racketeers because of a plentiful supply, a cheaper price, and Thai
men's desire to try "something different".

"International trafficking of sex workers is encroaching the borders and
reaching into the home of our neighbours," said Dr Kritaya.

Northern Burma is affected the most. "History repeats itself. What is
happening in the Shan State right now is like what happened in the North
of Thailand 15 years ago, when many northern Thai girls left their homes
to enter the sex industry," said the researcher and lecturer at Mahidol
University's Institute for Population and Social Research.

In their survey conducted in over 40 brothels in 18 provinces last year,
the Mahidol researchers failed to find young girls from northern
Thailand just entering the trade.

Such girls are kept in school due to the continuous efforts of the
government and NGOs in campaigning against child prostitution, said the
research paper. Most of the Thai sex workers they found were those who
had been in the business for over three years.

"If anybody want to find 'fresh' girls, they have to look for dek nok
(foreign girls)," revealed Bird, manager of an established massage
parlour. These days, many brothels and entertainment places, especially
those of lower grades, only have foreign girls for service. Shan and
Tai-Lue girls from the Shan State are the largest group.

<Picture: *>DOCILE AND OBEDIENT

Apart from plentiful supply and cheap prices, girls from Burma are also
favoured by the procurers and customers because of their innocence.
"Shan girls are sweet and very obedient, while Thai girls give me a
headache. They are drunkards, spendthrifts and gamblers. Sometimes they
even cheat me. Now I employ only Shan girls and I can do business more
easily," said Nuek, 40, who has run a brothel for 12 years. The language
barrier also keep the foreign girls silent and submissive.

"They often do everything the customers asks," added Nuek.

In addition to their docility, the women's physical appearance is also
attractive to customers. Young and fair with long hair, the Shan girls
are beautiful in Thai men's eyes. But their best selling point is their
virginity. Many men believe that sleeping with a virgin will give them a
long life and energise their sexual appetite. "Lots of Thai and foreign
men go straight to Mae Sai to sleep with virgins from Burma. This is an
established business on the Thai-Burma border," said Dr Kritaya.

Agents first contact the parents of young Shan girls, then take photos
of their daughters. They then put together a catalogue featuring photos
of the girls for their customers to choose. When selected, the girls are
brought from villages in Burma to a hotel in Mae Sai.

<Picture: *>THE PRICE OF A VIRGIN

The story of Soy, a 19-year-old Tai-Lue girl, is typical. At 16, she was
summoned from the rice fields to have her "first time" with a Japanese
tourist. She earned 15,000 baht. Three months later, Soy did it again
with another Japanese man. For her "second time", the price dropped to
8,000 baht. The offer of such a large sum of money both puzzles and
entices many villagers in Burma, said Dr Kritaya. Some, therefore, feel
that if the "first time" is worth that much cash, their daughters should
do it. Nevertheless, at the time they have no intention of allowing
their daughters to become prostitutes. "I felt frightened when the agent
brought me to the hotel. But my father said me that all women have to
lose their virginity. Losing it now or later is no different," said Soy,
who currently works in a brothel in central Thailand.

Soy went back to work at home after her first and second time. A year
later, she got bored with her job of weaving and wanted to do something
else that could make her a lot of money. She decided to enter the sex
business. "My dad didn't give me his consent to become a prostitute.
Losing your virginity for money and being a sex worker are not the same,
he said. But I want to stand on my own two feet. I feel useless at
home." Money, it is said, speaks louder than anything else. But in the
case of girls from Burma, it's also the agitation they feel in their
tumultuous home country with its ongoing civil wars that pushes them
into Thailand.

"What can we do in Burma? We have no money but we need to eat. Burmese
soldiers don't love the people. They force us to work but pay us
nothing. They also extort money or rice from us. If we don't give it to
them, we may get raped," complained Kham Euay, 19, a Tai-Lue girl from
Shan State. "So coming to seek our fortune here, I thought, is better
than starving at home," added the girl, who is also now infected with
the Aids virus.

<Picture: *>DUTIFUL DAUGHTERS

Instability in the home, the Mahidol researchers said, together with the
"dutiful daughter" culture are two of the main factors which push girls
from Burma into prostitution. Like their Thai sisters across the border,
Shan and Tai Lue girls from northern Burma feel that being the family
breadwinner is the greatest way to show gratitude to their parents.
"With such perceptions in their minds, it is no wonder that Shan and Tai
Lue women come to the flesh trade in the largest number of all foreign
sex workers," explained Dr Kritaya. Such is the case with Lah, a
21-year-old Shan woman who now has Aids. Years ago, Lah's mother told
her if she wanted to build a house for the family, she should go to work
"like others". "At first, I got angry at my mother. But she cried and
complained that I wouldn't sacrifice anything for the family. So I
decided to work in a brothel. Now everyone at home asks me for money. My
brother never feeds the family," murmurred Lah.

"They don't know how much suffering I have to tolerate. Can anybody tell
me what else Shan girls can do apart from selling their flesh?" As Thai
sex workers head for richer pastures elsewhere in Asia and Europe, girls
from Burma sneak into Thailand. Unlike other illegal immigrants from
Burma who usually pass through Kanchanaburi, most of the sex workers use
the Tachilek-Mae Sai route to enter the country.

The promotion of tourism in Keng Tung - a large city in Shan state - and
of the Quadrangle Economic Zone, which comprises bits of Thailand,
China, Burma and Laos, help strengthen the international sex trade
rackets in this area, stated the Mahidol researchers.

Three-quarters of the Burmese women are accompanied by agents or
acquaintances. Generally, they have to pay the agent's commission and
travelling expenses themselves. The expenses can range from a few
thousand to 30,000 baht. All too often, the girls fall into debt even
before they start working. According to the research, the foreign girls
usually began their jobs near the border for a period of time. When they
get acquainted with the Thai language and people, the agents will bring
them south.

The agents will put six or seven girls in a van or pick-up truck and
travel from one brothel to another. Brothel owners pay the agents a fee
for the girls of their choice, with the least beautiful being priced the
lowest. The money is then deducted from the girls' earnings.

According to the Mahidol research, such rackets can exist only with the
cooperation of the Thai authorities.

"We are confident that the police won't bother us. A police officer even
accompanied us in our van," said Fah, a Burmese-Shan girl now working in
a massage parlor.

Without such cooperation, procurers and sex workers would run into
trouble with the law as the women are illegal workers as well as working
in a prohibited trade.

"Even the work permit of illegal immigrants and also the temporary
permit for stateless people can't protect these sex workers, although
some pay a lot of money for these cards," said Dr Kritaya.

<Picture: *>SEDUCTION TECHNIQUES

The alien prostitution problems are made more complicated by the fact
that agents now use sophisticated methods to seduce foreign sex workers
into the business.

"Currently, the agents don't force women into prostitution. Sometimes
they lure the women into the fringe trade - like massage parlours or
karaoke bars - and let various forces pull them into selling sex," said
Dr Kritaya.

One strong force is the pull of money. When Payom, a Shan woman, decided
to shift from 70-baht-a-day construction work in Bangkok to a
traditional massage parlour in a nearby province, she thought the
4,000-baht monthly pay would be enough without having to sleep with the
customers.

A month later, the 34-year-old mother of three changed her mind as she
found she had to spend a lot of money on looking good. She started
having sex with her customers for additional income.

"Since I travelled this far, I want to make as much money as I can,"
said Payom.

In addition, the structure of some establishments make the women think
they are not selling sex.

In traditional massage parlours where a lot of girls from Burma work,
the women can say no to customers who want sex with them, so they think
that they are not prostitutes.

"Since customers need to woo these girls before asking to sleep with
them, the girls think they are sleeping with boyfriends, not customers.
If they trust the man, they don't use a condom which makes them very
vulnerable to Aids," added Dr Kritaya. Burmese girls working in Thailand
are mostly poorly educated and ignorant and, therefore, have a high rate
of contracting Aids. For example, many believe that taking a pill like
Postinor after sex can prevent them from getting Aids and, thus, they
need not use condoms.

In addition, their lack of Thai language skills, their constant moving
about and short stays in the trade make them less likely to get
Aids-prevention information and services from officials and NGOs.

"Because of the language problem, even those who know they have
contracted Aids receive little information and counselling provided
here," said the research. "While some continue to work in sex services,
others return to their home country."

The researchers recommended that the Thai government, in cooperation
with NGOs, aim to eradicate international sex rackets. Meanwhile, they
should offer better treatment to the foreign sex workers already here
and support the organisations campaigning against prostitution in
neighbouring countries.

Moreover, the government should protect the legal and human rights of
these young women and, at the same time, push other ASEAN countries to
see the international sex industry as a regional problem.

"The authorities and those involved should take serious action right now
before it is too late," emphasised Dr Kritaya. If not, the sad tales of
Srima, Lah, Payom or Soy, will be told again and again as more and more
foreign girls come to Thailand to seek their fortunes.

MATHIDA'S STORY

A sacrifice for the family

If Mathida's lifetime experience could be swapped for an academic
degree, the Burmese woman would probably be awarded a PhD. After years
of hard work and struggle, however, 27-year-old Mathida has instead got
HIV.

Before political chaos arose in Burma, Mathida lived a happy life in
Keng Tung in Shan State. She graduated from primary school and then, at
the age 14, married a Burmese soldier. The young wife gave birth to a
daughter before the couple separated.

Mathida remarried and then moved to Tachilek with her mother's new
family. Her second husband is a gambler and a drunkard. He once sold her
to a brothel in Chiang Mai to pay a debt. She worked there for a month,
after which she returned home and forgave him.

Later, civil war broke out in Shan State, and this political turbulence
was matched by disruptions in Mathida's own family. Her stepfather
became seriously ill, and Mathida's mother told her to find some
much-needed money. The obedient daughter realised that the only way she
could earn any cash was to become a sex worker, and decided to work in a
brothel in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai.

Mathida asked for an advance of 10,000 baht from her boss. A month
later, before she could repay this first debt, her mother asked her to
send another sum of money. As time passed, she owned more and more.

As these debts mounted, Mathida could not imagine how long she would
have to work to pay them all off. Day by day, her body became weaker and
weaker.

The reason was that her blood was infected with HIV, a fact of which she
was unaware. A language barrier kept her from approaching Thai officials
who might have helped her, but fortunately the research group from
Mahidol University found her and tried to negotiate with the brothel
owner to let Mathida return home. Informed that she had HIV, the owner
agreed, but the researchers had to pay 3,500 baht to cover Mathida's
debt.

Mathida was very happy to go home. Despite her worsening health and
meagre savings, she spent a lot of money on toys for her child, clothes
for her sisters, and also a cassette player for the whole family.

The Burmese woman was determined never to work again as a prostitute,
but she had very few choices. Her step father died, and her large family
needed someone to earn money to feed them. That person had to be
Mathida.

At first, she worked for a short period as a waitress at a bar in
Tachilek. Her 2,000-baht-a-month salary, however, was not enough to
provide for all eight family members.

Within a few weeks, Mathida had to break her promise to herself. Now she
is heading for Malaysia. Her second husband found this work for her, and
her family has received a large cash advance. This means Mathida has
already fallen heavily into debt.

The Mahidol researchers never had a chance to talk to Mathida about her
illness, and she has no idea what she will face in the future.

But for the education of her daughter, the happiness of her mother, and
the welfare of the whole family, she is ready to endure it.

<Picture: *>Kham Euay's and Mathida's stories are based on information
from in- depth interviews in a paper titled "The Passage of Women from
Neighbouring Countries to the Sex Trade in Thai land" published by Dr
Kritaya Archavanitkul and Ponsook Kertsawang in May 1997.

MATHIDA'S STORY

Fly away, little bird

"I wish I were a small bird so I could fly as far as I desire. I'd laugh
at those big, clumsy ones who are too heavy to fly," said Kham Euay, a
19-year-old Tai Lue girl from Burma.

"But right now, I can go nowhere," she lamented.

Four years ago, Kham Euay, then 15, left her home in a small town in
Shan State, despite her mother's objections. An uneducated country girl
like her, she thought, could not pursue any kind of profession that
would make as much money as being a sex worker.

"I wanted to build a comfortable house for my mother and send my younger
sister to school. That's all," recalled the dutiful daughter who is
currently working in a brothel in central Thailand.

Kham Euay started working in a teahouse in Bangkok where she met several
girls from her home town. Her "first time" with an old Chinese man
earned her 15,000 baht. However, splitting it with the tea house owner
reduced her share to 7,500 baht. Kham Euay sent all of it to her family.

>From then on, the girl earned 40 baht for each man she had sex with, and
each day she had more than 10 customers. She saved an average of 8,000
baht a month.

After working hard for eight months, Kham Euay decided to go home, as
she believed she had made enough money. However, she re-entered the
business six months later. She explains: "I could make no money at home.
I had already done this kind of job, so I had nothing else to lose, did
I?"

Kham Euay's journey to the south started again. At first, she worked in
a karaoke bar in Chon Buri. She then became a call girl in Bangkok's
Saphan Khwai area. This time she was not so lucky. The girl fell ill,
infected with a sexually transmitted disease. To quell her fear of Aids,
she had a blood test. The doctor told her that her blood was positive,
but when Kham Euay asked whether that meant she had Aids, he didn't
answer.

The young woman then quit her job, returned home and married her Shan
boyfriend. But married life soon turned bitter. Her in-laws could not
accept an ex-prostitute into the family. The couple split months later.
Kham Euay, therefore, took up the flesh trade for the third time.

She always worried that she might be infected with HIV as she was
continuously ill. She often got the flu, her hair fell out and nodules
kept popping up on her limbs.

"Why didn't the doctor tell me whether I had Aids or not? I have dreams
I want to pursue, but he left me in uncertainty. I need to know to have
more control of my life. I want to go home," the Tai Lue girl said.

Although she wanted to re-unite with her family, Kham Euay did not want
to return empty-handed. She planned to stay in the business for a year
to save up a sum of money.

"My hometown is the best place. I can breathe in the fragrant air. When
thirsty, I can ask neighbours for water. Thailand is not a paradise as
everybody thought. For me, it's a nightmare," she revealed.

Kham Euay has recently been informed that she is indeed infected with
the Aids virus. However, it is not her own health that she's most
concerned about, but her elderly mother's.

"Can I still cook for my mum? Can I wash her clothes? Will doing that
infect her?."

Although she has paid all her debts, Kham Euay intends to continue
working. She now uses a condom every time she has sex. However, her
illness hinders her from making as much money as she desires.

"Some days I just feel too ill to work. At times, I have lesions all
over my body, and customers find that unappealing."

But she is determined to go home by the end of this year.

"I never blame anybody for this disease. It was me who wanted to seek my
fortune here. But I'll never let my sister come to Thailand. I'm afraid
she'll be lost. And too often we can't correct the wrongs we have done.
But life is always like this, isn't it?"

"THERE WILL BE NO REAL DEMOCRACY IF WE CAN'T GURANTEE THE RIGHTS OF THE
MINORITY ETHNIC PEOPLE.  ONLY UNDERSTANDING THEIR SUFFERING AND HELPING
THEM TO EXERCISE THEIR RIGHTS WILL ASSIST PREVENTING FROM THE
DISINTEGRATION AND THE SESESSION."  "WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THEIR
STRENGTH, WE CAN'T TOPPLE THE SLORC AND BURMA WILL NEVER BE IN PEACE."