Honoring Aung San Suu Kyi's Birthda

Subject: Honoring Aung San Suu Kyi's Birthday

For Immediate Release: June 17, 1997

	Women of Burma Day in Honor of Aung San Suu Kyi's Birthday

On the birthday of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on June 19, we join our sisters
in Asia and Europe to celebrate her vision, courage, and determination to
bring about peace, human rights, and democracy to Burma.  To the peoples
of Burma, she is the beacon of hope, and to the world, she has come to
symbolize non-violent struggle against ruthless oppression.

To mark the occasion, we dedicate her birthday as Women of Burma Day to
honor all the women who have sacrificed and fought for their families,
communities, and country in the face of aggression and abuse by the
Burmese military regime.  We also celebrate their courage, resilience,
and commitment to bring peace to Burma.

On this day we, who enjoy the freedom, speak out to the world for those
who have been imprisoned for their political beliefs, and for those who
have escaped military offensives and found refuge in neighboring
countries.  We also stand up for those who have sought safety and
economic security outside Burma, only to find themselves sold into
prostitution, or struggling to make a living in factories, plantations,
and construction sites, working in fear of extortion, arrest, and violence.

We, the women of Burma in the United States, appeal to the American
people to join us in our struggle to raise our voices for the whole world
to hear, and to end all injustices,

- applaud the effort already taken by the Government of the United States
to impose sanctions on new investment in Burma, and appeal for continued
pressure for democratic change;

- call on the world's governments to implement the resolutions passed by
the United Nations General Assembly for the past six successive years to
restore human rights and democracy in Burma;

- urge the G-7 nations to reaffirm the resolution unanimously adopted by
tune 12 which expresses its strong support for Burma's non-violent
democracy movement;

- remind the ASEAN to recognize that true constructive engagement
requires dialogue with both the democratic forces in Burma and the ruling
junta; and

- call on the Representatives of the United States Congress to support
local initiatives for selective purchasing campaigns, and to discourage
local governments m contracting out to companies that have invested with
the Burmese military regime.

Contact: Yuzana Khin (410-467-8097), Khin Ohmar (202-828-0110), and Hnin
Hnin Pyne (301-217-9517).

Please come join us for

WOMEN OF BURMA DAY

to honor the birthday of

DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI

June 19, 1997

10:00-11:30 am
2255 Rayburn Building
C Street & Independence Avenue
Congress of the United States of America
Washington, D.C. 20515

Congressman Tom Lantos: Welcome Address
Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi:  Key Note Speaker
Dr. Sein Win, Prime Minister NCGUB:  Aung San Suu Kyi - a reflection
Video - Aung San Suu Kyi
Panelist:  Khin Aye Thant, Yuzana Khin, Khin Ohmar, Hnin Hnin Pyne
Burmese Song and Dance