SLORC STATEMENTS TO ILO, JUNE 97

        STATEMENTS MADE BY SLORC REPRESENTATIVES TO THE
       INTERNATIONAL LABOUR CONFERENCE JUNE 1997 (GENEVA)

Mr. LWIN Saw, Minister for Labour Myanmar

Madam President,

It is indeed a privilege for me to have an opportunity once
again to address this august Assembly.

On behalf of the Myanmar Delegation and on my own, I have the
honour and pleasure in congratulating you, Madam President, on
your unanimous election to the Presidency of the 85th Session
of the International Labour Conference.  This is truly an
expression of our implicit confidence in your ability to steer
the deliberations of the Conference to a successful and
fruitful conclusion.

Madam President,

I also wish to congratulate the Director-General for his
excellent choice of the theme for his Report to the
Conference.  As is usual, the Report is lucid and it is
extremely interesting.  It contains valuable observations on
matters of great importance.

The realistic approach the Director-General has taken to
address the problems is an achievement worthy of high praise.

Madam President,

Allow me to commend the ILO for its wisdom in selecting the
items to be placed on the Agenda of this Conference.  We feel
that the crucial item is the proposed amendment of Article 19
of the ILO Constitution.  As many of the existing ILO
Conventions and Recommendations were formulated several
decades ago, we feel that some of these instruments can no
longer meet our present day requirements.  We believe that it
is a necessity to review these outdated international
instruments closely in order that they may be amended
consequently.

Madam President,

In this regard, we sincerely feel that this august body should
direct its attention and efforts to the needs of the member
states, especially those of the developing countries, and to
reformulate these outdated instruments while bearing in mind
the diverse political, economic, social and cultural
backgrounds of the member states.

Madam President,

It is a fact that Myanmar has lived up to its stipulations of
the ILO  Conventions which she has ratified.  My Delegation
deeply regrets that the Governing Body of ILO had decided to
form a Commission of Inquiry on Myanmar for non-observance of
a ratified Convention.

This decision was but the result of a politically motivated
complaint made by some worker delegates at the 83rd Session of
the ILC, albeit we persistently provide the ILO with complete
information reflecting the actual situation in Myanmar.

Madam President,

Last year I made a statement from this rostrum apprising this
forum the political, economic and social endeavours of my
Government for the emergence of a peaceful, modern and
developed nation.

During its tenure the State Law and Order Restoration Council
has made unprecedented achievements in reconsolidating
national unity that is putting an end to the armed struggles
of some national races which have dragged on for several
decades since Myanmar's independence from colonial rule.

Madam President,

Many of the delegates here are aware of the numerous mass
media reports about my country.  Most of these reports are
either specious or fabricated stories emanating from anti-
government circles and expatriate groups who are bent on
tarnishing the image of my government.

Madam President,

It is an undeniable fact that the relentless efforts of my
Government have resulted in peace and stability.  At the same
time significant progress has also been achieved at different
stages of the National Convention held with the aim of
drafting a new enduring State Constitution.  This Constitution
will ensure national solidarity, non-disintegration of the
Union and perpetuation of national sovereignty and will pave
the way for the emergence of a peaceful, modern and developed
nation.

Madam President,

In conclusion, I would like to stress that our urgent national
task is the emergence of a new enduring State Constitution
which will secure a truly democratic multiparty political
system.

I wish this Conference every success in its deliberations.

Thank you.

(DELIVERED TO THE INTERNATIONAL LABOUR CONFERENCE,12/6/97)

Mr. MIN Hla, Workers' delegate Myanmar

Madam President,

I am deeply honoured to deliver a statement at this tripartite
assembly.  May I extend to you my warmest greetings and best
wishes for the success of this Conference under your able
guidance and leadership.

Madam President,

I also wish to congratulate the Director-General for his
interesting Report presented to this Conference.  The theme of
the Report deals with realistic approaches and means of action
of the ILO on its standard-setting activities which will be
compatible with the needs of Globalization.  I therefore
respectfully agree with the conclusions set forth by the
Director-General in his lucid Report.

Madam President,

May I take this opportunity to commend the International
Labour Office for its unrelenting efforts to place important
topics on this year's agenda of the ILC.  Accordingly, our
first discussions will concentrate in two items (a) on the
general conditions to stimulate job creation in small and
medium sized enterprises and (b) on Contract Labour.  It is to
be noted that the majority of the responding member countries
to the ILO Questionnaire have expressed their preference for
these instruments to take the form of a Recommendation.  As a
worker delegate, I will give my support for these items and I
look forward to the adoption of these instruments at the 86th
Session.

Madam President,

In Myanmar, political, economic and social reforms have been
made in recent years resulting in significant success.  In the
economic sphere, the present Government has successfully
implemented the four-year economic plan which started in
1992/93 and ended in 1995/96.  Thanks to the multifaceted
efforts of the Government and active participation of workers
and peasants in the national development endeavours the actual
performance exceeded the original targets, thereby
significantly improving the national economy.  With a view to
strengthening and sustaining the favourable conditions and
growth for long-term development, a new Five-Year short term
plan for 1996/97 to 2000/2001 has already been adopted.  The
performance of the first year of the new Five-Year Plan will
create favourable conditions for successful implementation of
the entire plan.  With this and in view, close supervision and
close coordination among the implementing agencies and
organisations concerned are crucial.  On the other hand, it
might also be necessary to effectively mobilize national
productive resources and to adopt ways and means for optimum
utilisation of its human resources.

Madam President,

In Myanmar, we hold in high esteem the role of workers and
peasants in nation building.  In his Message to the working
people of the nation on the occasion of 1997 Workers Day
Celebration on 1st May, the Chairman of the SLORC stated that
- and I quote "at a time when the State Law and Order
Restoration Council has been building Myanmar Naingngan to
make it a peaceful, modern and developed nation after laying
down political, economic and social objectives, the workers
are playing a crucial role.  It further stated that the life
of the workers who are contributing their physical and
intellectual services in nation building tasks is truly
noble".

Madam President,

In this context, enhancement of the level and quality of life
of the working people of Myanmar should be one of the major
concerns of the Government.  In these days of trade
liberalisation and the opening up of the national economy the
flow of technology and investments from outside will provide
our workers with new skills and technical know-how and thus
improve their living standards and contribute towards national
development.

Madam President,

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that in the
meantime Myanmar workers are enjoying their legitimate rights
as prescribed under the existing labour laws which were
enacted several decades ago.

Reviewing and redrafting of these old labour laws are now in
progress and enactment of these new labour laws will be made
after the emergence of a new State Constitution.

Lastly, I extend my sincere wishes for the fruitful conclusion
of this Conference.

Thank you.

(DELIVERED TO THE INTERNATIONAL LABOUR CONFERENCE, 16/6/97)