SJMN: S. F. VOTES TO EXPAND BURMA B

Subject: SJMN: S. F. VOTES TO EXPAND BURMA BAN

SJMN:6/18

SAN FRANCISCO VOTES TO EXPAND BURMA BAN

Supervisors debate involvement in foreign human rights issues

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Extending San Francisco's involvement in the
international human rights arena, city supervisors voted to expand
economic sanctions against Burma and discussed a similar ban against five
African nations.

After a heated debate, the Board of Supervisors voted on Monday to add
construction contracts to an ordinance barring the city from doing
business with companies having ties to Burma.

The Southeast Asian nation's government is often criticized for harsh
repression of its country's democracy movement.

The board's vote follows closely on a wave of national sanctions against
Burma, which is also known as Myanmar.

The Burmese government seized power in 1988 after gunning down 3,000
demonstrators, and refused to recognize Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San
Suu Kyi's sweeping victory in 1990 democratic elections.

San Francisco Supervisor Amos Brown, saying the board needs to be
consistent, raised the possibility of similar bans on commerce with
Sudan, Liberia, Rwanda, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo) and
Nigeria.

But tempers flared when Supervisor Gavin Newman urged that the ban be
dropped. He argued that San Francisco's involvement with foreign human
rights issues means it must levy sanctions against a slew of other
countries. Such a move would be costly in time and money, he said.

Supervisor Tom Ammiano, chief sponsor of the Burma ban, said: ``It really
mocks what human rights issues are all about. If that supervisor had done
his homework, he wouldn't have wasted time on this ridiculous polemic. I
feel we have a moral responsibility to our neighbors.''

Published Wednesday, June 18, 1997, in the San Jose Mercury News