Aung San Suu Kyi's Politics of Virt (r)

Subject: Re: Aung San Suu Kyi's Politics of Virtue

> Books On ASIA
> Aung San Suu Kyi's Politics of Virtue
>
> The voice of Hope: Conversations with Alan Clements, by Aung San Suu Kyi,
> Penguin, 240 pp. £7.99

Excerpt: from page 122, Chapter 10.

	"Nobody can humiliate me but myself"
         - spiritual strength in conditions of oppression

Alan Clements:	:Clearly, your vision of a democratic Burma includes a
genuine reconciliation with your oppressors- SLORC. What do you think is
required of the individual to confront his adversary and possibly win his
friendship and understanding- not seeking to defeat him?

Daw ASSK:	:Well, it has to begin with one's self, doesn't it? You
have to develop inner spiritual strength, and those who have it do not
feel hatred or hostility because they do not easily feel fear. It's all
connected. If you look upon someone with serenity you are able to cope
with the feeling of hatred. But there cannot be serenity if there is fear.
However, let me say, oedinary people like us, within the NLD,are nowhere
near that level where we can look upon everybody with perfect love and
serenity. But I think a lot of us within the organization have been given
the opportunity to develop spiritual strength because we have been forced
to spend long years by ourselves under detention and in prison. In a way,
we owe it to those people who put us there.

AC:	:What is the core quality at the centre of your movement?

DASSK:	:Inner strength. It's the spiritual steadiness that comes from the
belief that what you are doing is right, even if it doesn't bring you
immediate concrete benefits. It's the fact that you are doing something
that helps to shore up your spiritual powers. It's very powerful.

		SOS : Support Our Suu
		Aung San Suu Kyi Support Group