27-Jul-47: Thakin Nu's speech at Ju

Subject: 27-Jul-47: Thakin Nu's speech at Jubilee Hall, Rangoon.

/* posted 27 Jun 6:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Speech by Thakin Nu (27/7/97) "-------------- */

        "In the teeth of the barrage of false accusations such as
        weak-kneed Bogyoke(Gen. Aung San), capitulation Bogyoke,
        Imperilists' stool-pigeon Bogyoke, from his political enemies,
        Bogyoke's solicitude for the masses was unshaken. ... "

              --  Thakin Nu, 27-July-1947.

For those of us who born in Burma around 1960s or later, the political
history of Burma Independence and post-Independence is of a mystery. One
factor contributing to this is because of heavy political sensorship within
Burma since Revolutionary Council came into power in 1962. The other factor
is that the Burmese are generally not meticulous in keeping records like
British, for example. Even with these limited records we find here, Burma
seems to have a rich political history especially pre & post-Independence.

Current situation in Burma, in many aspects, is similar to that of 1944-47
struggle for Burma's independence from Britain. After Japanese withdrawal
from Burma, General Aung San decided to make peaceful negotiation with
British Government to attain independence. As following speech by U Nu
shows, General Aung San had not been escaped from criticism by some Burmese.
This, in many ways, is parallel to the recent incident of SLORC
ridiculing Aung San Suu Kyi and National League for Democracy for offering
to re-join the National Convention. This extract is from Thakin Nu's speech
on 27th July 1947, at Jubilee Hall. U Nu gave this speech after the event
of the 19th-July-47 assassinations, Burmese public sentiment was obviously
against the British who in power at that time.["Burma: The Struggle for
Independence", Vol-II pp-688, ed. Hugh Tinker(1983)] -- U Ne Oo.
SPEECH BY THAKIN NU AT THE JUBILEE HALL, 27 JULY 1947
IOR: M/4/2679

I want to explain how far we have now progressed on the path to Freedom
along which Bogyoke had led us. As a preface to that, I want to explain
Bogyoke's political goal and the strategy he adopted to attain the goal.
His political goal is no less than the setting up of Burma as a completely
independent Republic. As for his strategy he had been at such pains to
explain it to the country that it is quite clear already. I shall repeat it
only by way of remininding the masses.

In order to win complete freedom he would first explore whatever chance of
peaceful amicable settlement that might be there, to the utmost. If that
failed, only then would he resort to force. That is the extremely clear
statement of Bogyoke's strategy. There are some who dislike this strategy.
They believe that freedom can only be wrested by force. For seeking
peaceful amicable settlement Bogyoke was accused by his political opponents
of kneeling down to the Imperialists. To those who know Bogyoke well, this
accusation was merely laughable. Bogyoke was not a one-track minded
politician. If the objective was to be gained only by voilence he was
violent. If the objective could be gained by peaceful means, he chose
peaceful means.

        ...{Text Abridged}.....

You may well ask, why is such a fighter now treading the path of peace ? I
think I can answer that question better than any other person. Although
Bogyoke and I are not brothers by blood we are brothers in politics. Since
1935 we have been brothers-in-arms in political struggles. Each of us knows
the other's thoughts and actions intimately. Therefore, I know very well
why Bogyoke, the fighter, is now treading the path of peace. There are
three reasons:

        (1) World situation is changed now.
        (2) He desires friendly relations between Britain and Burma.
        (3) He does not wish to cause unnecessary suffering to the masses
        of Burma.

I shall go into these reasons one by one. As an aftermath of the recent
WW-II, profound changees have occurred in the World situation....

          ....{Text Abridged}.....

Now for the third reason why Bogyoke chose the path of peace. It is because
he had no wish to cause unnecessary suffering to the masses of Burma. They
have suffered enough already after having become a battlefield twice over.
Bogyoke could not bear the thought of causing them unnecessary suffering on
top of their terrible sufferings. That was why he sought for the ways and
means which would impose as little hardship as pollible on the masses. In
the teeth of the barrage of false accusations such as weak-kneed Bogyoke,
capitulation Bogyoke, Imperialists' stool-pigeon Bogyoke, from his
political enemies, Bogyoke's solicitude for the masses was unshaken. And
so, that is the third reason why Bogyoke not only sought the peaceful means
that would do the least possible hurt to the masses but also left
directives for further ways and means of relieving the suffering of the
masses.....

/* Endreport */