Response to the Embassy Statement

RE:	Response to the Embassy Statement

Sender: Steve_Dun@xxxxxxxxxxxx

1997; I want to express my own view as an ordinary Karen concerning the
situation that is really happening today.

Under the education system of the BSPP, I was taught about colonialism and
it's divisive legacy over Burma.  Ironically, Burma is now suffering the same
problems due to the SLORC regime's own practice of colonialism.  They claim
they hate colonialism but they are using the same methods they inherited from
their colonial masters.  They attempt to "Burmanize" the country rather than
accept the fact that Burma is made up of many ethnic groups besides Burmans.
The SLORC regime only wants power over their own people.  Why?  It is clear
that they share the same divisive tactics as colonialism when they refused
the opportunity to talk to all the ethnic resistant groups at the same time.
The nonsense reason given was that we ethnic groups have different political
points of view and goals.  But all the ethnic groups are striving for the
same goal, genuine peace and equality.

All fifteen groups which made a cease-fire with the regime had their own
hardships, that was the main reason that they had to follow the SLORC.  But
up to now, they have had no chance to solve any of their political problems
by political means.  This is like an undiffused bomb; it can explode at
anytime.  The SLORC regime makes many promises for negotiating but it does
not follow through with any action.

Blood is thicker than water, but "chee" is thicker than blood.  I have many
Burmese friends and we Karen have never hated Burmans or other nationalities.
 We can live peacefully together and if we can trust each other, we can
guarantee each other's safety.  But the SLORC is inhumane, even to it's own
soldiers.  We have had a lot of experiences watching them leave their own
disabled soldiers in the jungle or near the roadside, letting them suffer
until their deaths.  Then they report that the soldier was absent without
leave and with arms, this allows them to charge money from the dead soldier's
family.  SLORC soldiers have defected with full-armed equipment.  They tell
how they were forced into service as their superiors ordered the conscription
of soldiers by threatening to torch the villages, kill the innocent villagers
and loot all their property.  In the army, the soldiers witnessed the same
actions taken against the Karen villages and innocent villagers.  It is no
surprise that they were totally worn out from the SLORC's
"good will mission" towards the Karen.

As for ASEAN, every intellectual person knows that the ten countries,
including Burma, are only motivated by making business and profit for their
own interests.  They are not interested in the welfare of the people.  The
ASEAN members know that Burma is politically unstable, but they are still
ready to take all our valuable natural resources and the SLORC is desperate
and greedy enough to give them away.  Where are the benefits for the people
of Burma?

The words forgive and forget is easy for the doer but not for the sufferer.
And the statement that time is now to forgive and forget is totally opposite
with reality.  Maybe we can forgive and forget the past but not the present.
How can we forgive and forget the person who is kicking us all the time, even
as I write this?  Just saying forgive and forget is not enough.  More than 61
villages (including all the houses, grain storage and livestock destroyed)
have been torched and reduced to ashes in the Papun area.  In addition, some
villagers have been tortured to death, property looted and the women have
been raped.  More than one hundred villages in the Thaton, Nyaung Lay Bin,
Taungoo, and Tavoy-Mergui were burned or forced to relocate.  Do you really
think that the Karen in these areas are crazy enough that they would burn
down their own houses in 61 villages to lie to the world that SLORC is
abusing their human rights?  Think about the truth!

You are so proud of your beloved SLORC generals.  Would you like another
photo to proudly hang on your embassy wall alongside the general's photos?  I
have one for you.  It is the photo of one of the many Karen female victims.
This woman had both arms and both legs shot, then more than five SLORC
soldiers raped her.  They left her naked and helpless.  She lived for a few
hours after villagers found her.  You are most welcome to this evidence; it
should make you proud to praise your regime again.

written by T.A.

| SalaThai, Bangkok, Thailand - A FirstClass Network - Tel: (662) 679-8382   |
|    BBS:(662) 679-8380 * http://www.sala.net * EMail:jamiezel@xxxxxxxx	     |
| SalaThai provides Free EMail.  Please do not send users Files or add them  |
| to any autoforward or LISTSERV server as it clogs the Internet gatway.     |
| * Please note that after June 30th this address will no longer be valid *  |