INDIAN NEWS (r)

          SUU KYI ASKS ASEAN NOT TO SUPPORT JUNTA

Bangkok, May 29:

Burmese  democracy leader Aung San  Suu Kyi has warned that
the  country's  military  rulers  could  become  "even more
obdurate  and oppressive' if the country is admitted to the
association of Southeast Asean Nations.

Ms  Suu Kyi speaking  in a recent  video interview released
on  Thursday,  said that Burma,under  the rule of State Law
and  Order Restoration Council,would be  no credit to Asean
and  call on seven nation group to engage with her National
League   for  Democracy.   Her  taped  interview  with  the
Alternative Asean Network on Burma,  which was smuggled out
of  the  country,was  released  two  days  before  an Asean
foieign ministers' meeting in Malaysia on when to admit the
country along with Cambodia and Laos.

"Burma  under  Slorc  is  not going  to  be  any  credit to
Asean,"the Nobel laureate said adding.  "I think what Burma
risks,what the people of Burma risks,is the possiblity that
admission into Asean will make Slorc even more obdurate and
oppressive."                                       (Reuter)

                                  The Asian Age 30 May 1997.
   News and Information Bureau, All Burma Students League.

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |
    |  3, Krishna Menon Marg              |