APA (r)

Association of Peoples of Asia (APA)

[Vinoba like all the saints of all times believed in the oneness of
mankind. He proclaimed, "victory to the whole world."]
Gandhiji addressed the Asian Relations Conference in March 1947 which was
organized by Pandit Jawaharla Nehru. The Gandian and Vinoba Bhave's
approaches have put a lot of faith in common people. It is but natural
that the followers of Gandhi and Vinoba should strive to develop people to
people contact in different parts of the world. This is a befitting
contribute to Mahatama the greatest human being of this century and to his
spiritual heir. It is to promote this idea of people to people contact,
the Association of Peoples of Asia came into being on November 12, 1994 in
the historic city of Delhi.

While we will be striving to develop contacts with all the people of Asia
slowly and slowly it was proposed first to start from our immediate
neighboring countries of South Asia. The people of south Asia are bound
together through many discernable cultural traits. Many resources of our
countries have common origin. We suffer from similar type of
socio-economic handicaps. Sharing our experiences in different spheres of
life will certainly help us in better understanding of our problems and
common concerted effort may be launched to combat these handicaps
together. Thus, unanimous decision was taken to organize an association
for this purpose.

Aims and objectives of the Association
The Association will strive to achieve the following objectives:
I. To foster friendship and understanding amongst the people of Asia, in
general and the people of South Asia in particular.
II. To identify different cultural, educational and voluntary
organizations and develop contact with them.
III. To help meaningful exchanges and interaction between intellectuals,
professionals and artists of different countries of Asia.
IV. To organize conferences, seminars, workshops, lectures and other ways
interaction amongst the people.
V. To organize humanitarian help at the time of tragedies and catastrophes
and render services to the affected people.
VI. To promote communication and understanding amongst the constructive
organizations of women, peasants, workers, students and youth for a more
harmonious relationship.

The Steering Committee of the APA consists of 11 well-known personals of
India is headed by Ms Nirmala Deshpande, A-223, Pandara Road, New
Delhi-110003, Ph: +91 11 338-5044. APA has 2 million members all over
India and branches in every cities and towns.

I the latest issue of APA's publication, one of the Letters from Burma by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was translated into Hindi. APA appreciates Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi's peaceful non-violent approach to restore democracy, human
rights and justice in Burma. Ms Nirmala Deshpande has agreed to set up the
"India-Burma-Tibet committee on non-violent movement". Burma chapter will
also be opened in the APA.

In the meeting with Burmese delegation, Ms Nirmala Deshpande totally
agreed to call for a dialogue between Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
military regime. APA has called for such a dialogue between H.H. Dalai
Lama and Chinese leaders in an extensive non-violent movement on 2-20-96.
A well-written memorandum was presented to more than 100 embassies and
high commissions in Delhi simultaneously on the very day. It was
comfortably welcome.

Burmese pro-democracy leaders and the APA are considering to launch the
appropriate non-violent program to help restoring democracy in Burma.

By:
Communication Center, New Delhi (CCN)