Statement of KNU President Saw Bo M

Subject: Statement of KNU President Saw Bo Mya

                         OFFICE OF THE SUPREME HEADQUARTERS
                                     KAREN NATIONAL UNION

                                            KAWTHOOLEI

    Statement of KNU President Saw Bo Mya regarding Meh Tha Raw Ta

                      Agreement of Ethnic Nationalities of Burma

          July 8, 1997

1. Through peace mediators, U Khun Mya and Saya Tun Aung Chaing, the SLORC
indicated that dialogue would be resumed if the KNU would adopt the position
to repudiate some of the ten points of Meh Tha Raw Ta Agreement of the Ethnic
Nationalities' Seminar, that are not directly related to the KNU.

2. On 7-6-97, I informed the SLORC that out of the 10 points of Meh Tha Raw
Ta Agreement, the KNU would withdraw its involvement with points
2-3-5-7-8-10, with the expectation of stopping the military conflicts in
Burma at the earliest date possible, resolving the political problems
expeditiously through negotiation and resuming the dialogue from the lowest
possible level.

3. In addition to ignoring the immolating concession of the KNU, the SLORC
has engaged in loathsome acts such as (1) delaying its meeting with the KNU,
and continuing its constant attacks and destruction against Karen villages,
forced relocation, torture and execution of Karen civilians (2) exposing the
communication mentioned above by sending copies of the letter to
organizations of other ethnic nationalities and (3) distributing copies of
the letter, at home and abroad.

4. On account of the SLORC's insincere activities, I hereby revoke all the
intent and purpose of the letter sent to the SLORC regarding Meh Tha Raw Ta
Agreement and, as before, I shall abide by the ten points of the 1997 Ethnic
Nationalities' Meh Tha Raw Ta Agreement and the statement.

5. As the KNU is firmly convinced that the best means of resolving problems
is through dialogue and negotiation peacefully, the KNU shall continue to
strive for the resolution of problems between the KNU and the SLORC through
dialogue and negotiation.

  Saw Bo Mya

   President

Karen National Union

| SalaThai, Bangkok, Thailand - A FirstClass Network - Tel: (662) 679-8382   |
|    BBS:(662) 679-8380 * http://www.sala.net * EMail:jamiezel@xxxxxxxx	     |
|           * Please note that this address is no longer valid *             |