an open letter II (r)

Dear Ko Myint Swe,
    Yeah, we are not saying just money and we are saying all improper
behaviours to be changed.  You are dead right.   Some outsider thinks
that our struggle is in progress.  Actually, it is not.    I have no
clue to say that our struggle is in progress.   We have to face the
reality.    We should see the reality and only it will help us to be
progressive.
     We are on the border not to share the refugee rice from NGOs, not
to fight each other (it is very different from debate) and not to waste
our energy by getting malaria other tropical diseases.    We should be
effective in a way to help people and to help the internal struggle.
What we do now to help the people and the to help the internal struggle,
is issuing statements and making undecisive meetings.   That is all we
do.   On the other hand, there are lots of internal power struggle,
injustice, fighting each other, and so on.   Every group on the border
talks about other groups in a bad way behind their back.  But when they
face eachother, they praise each other.  Mostly the leaders on the
border do such insane.
      I think all should review our real situation (on the border) by
not satisfiying the success only but by facing the losses too and reform
what all needed to do so.    Only serious self criticism will help us to
be in a way to progress.    Speaking of self evaluation or criticism, I
would like to point out that under BSPP regime, whenever they make
evaluation, all were in progress and all were good and all were going on
but in reality, the economy was in ruin, the country was collapsed and
the people were in proverty.   I hope our revolution will not make such
self criticism or evaluation.   We need to seriously face the reality.
    Thank for your writing and I will never give up our attempt.   I
really would like to see the effective opposition on the border since we
can't go back home under this bloody regime.  However, if the opposition
is effective on the border, that will make our spirit high.
Thank
Nyein Chan

> [...]
>> However, it seems to me that the key issue is not being examined.

>     it is enough.
>>
>  If you think according to your letter, the key issue to be examined
in
>  this argument is money, you are pathetically wrong. I talked about
>  freedom of expression and the importance of self criticism. Neither
>  money nor lack of multituide of supporters was a key issue to our
>  struggle. The key issue is the leadership problem. During the 8888,
we
>  can say definitely, almost the whole country had been supprters for
>  democracy. Next, Burma as a country may be poor. but there always has
>  been a great many wealthy and able, I mean Burmese nationals at home
and
>  abroad, people who wanted to support and did supported the struggle
>  financially. If you were in Burma during those turbulent days, I
would
>  not be needed to explain this in length. But we lacked a dare and
>  square leadership at the national level to challenge Ne Win's
parsonal
>  statue. We all know that the democratic leadership was uprooted and
>  outlived by the long reign of BSPP dictatorship. Finally we have
found
>  it in the person of DASSK and NLD as a political alternative
leadership
>  to SLORC. But, let me say, due to hardships imposed by SLORC and by
own
>  lack of calibre, this leadership did not bring democracy for Burma up
>  now. In fact, the movement has been suffering a lot due to the policy
>  errors and personal shortcomings. Now we are trying to correct this
in
>  order to save the revolution ended in total defeat.
>

>  The fact is that the Burma Democracy movement, in all its forms, has
>> accomplished a great deal, especially in the international arena, on
an
>> absolute shoe-string.
>
>  I don't understand how could you say that. Can you call the following
>  fiascoes as accomplishments. Let's face the reality,( This is the
>  typical simptom of an internet hero who always lack a sense of street
>  realty. The number of suffering people in Burma has increased from 40
>  millions to 48 millions in these nine years. It means SLORC has
gained 8
>  million more slaves during these years while you are day dreaming of
the
>  so-called achivements.)  Here are these;
>
>  1. The opposition's strong hold, Manerplaw, and all other major base
>     areas has been fallen to the enemy one after another in two years.
>  2. NCGUB leadership has been driven farther away from Burma. They
were
>     not allowed to return to Thailand. All the remaining known
acivists
>     were forced to moved up to Chaingmai and lesser known places from
BKK
>     where they have more access to international community.
>  3. All unbrella organizations of the opposition side, DAB,NCUB, NDF,
>     ADNSC,DFB etc became ghost organizations after the desertion of
all
>     but one, ethnic groups to the enemy side. ( If you accuses it
solely
>     because of the enemy's thrust, I would not argue with you on this
>     point since it is not necessary.
> 4.  The most deploarable suffer, at least it seems to me, is that the
>     banner barer of the 8888 uprising, the students, ABSDF, HAS BEEN
>     DIVIDED into three groups, Moethee, Naingaung and the neutrals.
>     Today we all realized that it has been a irreprable damage to the
>     student unity, to the revolution. Though they reconciliate lately,
it
>     would never be the same as before. If someone think that it has
>     happened due to their own internal fight for leadership not
without
>     outside interferences from DAB, NCGUB and, ofcourse, from SLORC,
THIS
>     PERSON IS A NIAVE. )
> 5.  The West's attempt to bar Burma's integration into ASEAN has been
>     still nowhere near the success. Because the West has no clear
sense
>     of distinction between state, society and the government of the
day
>     in Burma. In fact Clinton Administration's unilateral sanction
>     has contriuted SLORC's status fortified in the region, a boomerang
>     effect to our side.
> 6.  In the international arena, governments denounce SLORC the human
>     rights criminal. But all these governments have diplomatoic
relations
>     with SLROC not with NCGUB, a legitimate government by virtue of
>     the 1990 election. These governments, as you correctly mentioned,
grant
>     neglible moneies to activist bodies and try to steer the course of
>     the struggle to their liking, or influence the policy framups
>     using misinterpreated, incomplete informations they gathered from
>     their trusted people only.
>
>     There are some more but I will stop here.
>
>The emphasis should not be on squabbling over who
>> gets the crumbs of the pie, but on increasing the size of the pie
that all
>> must share.  Remember, the sum total of all the funds provided to the
>> support of freedom and democracy in Burma amounts to a small fraction
of
>> the money invested in a single project, such as the
SLORC/Unocal/Total/PTT
>> pipeline.
>>

>> We must ask, who has an interest in the development of democracy in
Burma?