STATEMENT BY THE BURMESE DEMOCRATIC FORCES IN AUSTRALIA

Date:  15 July 1997

We appreciate the commitment of International Campaign to ridding the
world of anti-personnel landmines.  If SLORC delegation is serious of
banning landmines in Burma, we will welcome the move.  So far they just
sit in the conference like Zombies without addressing the landmines
problem in our country.  These landmines have been planted by the
Burmese military junta they are representing.  It is designed to maim or
kill innocent children, women and men.  We have read through the
information package the colloquium has provided for the delegates with
great sadness.  Because you only mention the landmines victims in
Africa, Vietnam, Thai-Cambodia border and so on.  How about the
forgotten ethnic people on Thai-Burma border wounded by the landmines
planted by the Burmese military regime.  Don?t they deserve to be
mentioned in your information package.

We believe most representatives of non-governmental organisations must
have seen victims of SLORC anti-personal landmines on Thai-Burma
border.  You should present these evidences to the conferences so that
the illegitimate SLORC representatives can find out what they have done
to those innocent people they are suppose to be protecting.  We do not
have civil war in our country and the military regime in Rangoon is
saying they have signed peace agreement with all the armed ethnic groups
except Karen National Union.  In the case why are they extensively
planted large ares of Bangladesh-Burma border  with landmines? The
puppet of SLORC military regime, Democratic Karen Buddhist Organisations
(DKBO) has planted landmines outside the perimeter of the refugee camps
on the Thai-Burma border.  When DKBO attack the camp they have no
choice, tortured and killed in the hands of DKBO or maimed and killed in
the landmines.

SLORC Defence Industries under the direct control of the Ministry of
Defense which is the largest weapons factory in Burma at Sindare, Prome
district in lower part of Burma.  Then near Prome they have ammunition
factories at Tonbo, Nyaung-chi-dauk, Indaing in Pegu district and in
suburban Rangoon near Inya Lake.  From these factories they produce
anti-personnel landmines.  From the information we received these
anti-personnel landmines produced by the SLORC-owned ammunition
factories are not enough, they have to buy from Singapore and China.
Why are they not actively participating and discussing with other people
if the SLORC delegation is serious in banning landmines?  Why do they
need large quantity of landmines?

On the front page of the SLORC newspaper and television they will use
this kind of invitation as propaganda to show the people that they have
been accepted by the international community and make the most of this
invitation to their advantage.  Don?t let them get away.  On behalf of
45 million people who cannot express their opinion please ask questions
to the SLORC delegates regarding human rights violation, slave labor,
child labor, political prisoners, open dialogue with the elected NLD
party and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, raping of innocent women on the village
by SLORC soldiers.

For further information:

Mr Terrell Oung: (02) 9620 7007

Ms Mee Mee: 0418 610 664