The BurmaNet News, July 20, 1997

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 20, 1997
Issue #776

HEADLINES:
==========
SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET A- 0066(I/L)
ASIAN AGE: TOP BURMESE OFFICIALS MEET MEMBERS OF NLD
ALTSEAN: ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA'S ADMISSION
ABSDF BOOK LAUNCH: ?LETTERS TO A DICTATOR? - EXTRACTS
BKK POST: MONEY TO FUND TWO MAJOR ROAD PROJECTS
THAILAND TIMES: TAK TO CONSTRUCT NEW EMBANKMENT
THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS
ANNOUNCEMENT: ABSDO AUSTRALIA CONVENTION
BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET A- 0066(I/L)
July 18, 1997

A- 0066(I/L)				 	18-7 - 97

There has been some rumours created by certain quarters saying that a
special V.I.P cell is being prepared in the Insein prison for a very special
person. The authority concerned gave an explanation that general renovation
works are taking place in many prison institutions for better sanitary and
living conditions of the prisoners. The relevant authorities also refuted
the allegations as baseless and denied that no such special V.I.P cell is
being prepared.

ASIAN AGE: TOP BURMESE OFFICIALS MEET MEMBERS OF SUU KYI'S PARTY
July 18,1997

Rangoon, July 17: Burmese strongman Lt. Gen Khin Nyunt met the chairman of
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party on
Thursday but the gathering did not signal the start of a political dialogue
between the two, government and NLD officials said.

The meeting between secretary one of the ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council and NLD chairman Aung Shwe and two other senior
members was the first between top military rulers and the Opposition since
Ms Suu Kyi was released from six years of house arrest in July 1995.

NLD officials said the meeting was to explain to the Slorc that the party
and Ms Suu Kyi were not involved in terrorist activities and that they had
not received foreign financial assistance from some Western countries as
alleged by the junta last month.

In June, Lt. Gen Khin Nyunt had accused the NLD of accepting $85,200 from
two covert US agents earlier this year. He had also linked the NLD and
exiled Opposition groups to recent bombings in Rangoon. The NLD has denied
the charges.

"Yes, They (NLD leader) went to talk and explain their opposition to the
officials. But this was not a dialogue with the Slorc. Without Suu Kyi
included any talks would not be a dialogue," said NLD's vice-chairman.
"But we welcome talks. We would also welcome any dialogue with the SLORC if
it is in the genuine spirit of reconciliation," the chairman said.

It was not immediately clear why Ms Suu Kyi was absent from the meeting. A
Slorc spokesman said the discussion were held in a cordial atmosphere and
they centred on the current political and some other situation in the country.

When asked if he would call this the start of a diolague between the two
sides, the spokesman said: " I won't term it that way."

The Slorc had detained and later released thousands of NLD members and
curbed the party's political activities. An NLD statement issued after
the meeting said that Lt. Gen Khin Nyunt had advised the NLD and Ms Suu Kyi
not to create unnecessary unrest or disturbances and not to confront the
Slorc or obstruct it activities.

" Aung Shwe explained to Khin Nyunt that the NLD does not accept foreign
assistance on principle. Aung Shwe also suggested to Khin Nyunt that it
would be good for him to meet Suu Kyi," the statement said.

A local political analyst welcomed the meeting between the two sides and
said it was a positive development. "It shows that there may still be
hope for dialogue. Slorc is ready to sit at the table with the NLD but
not Suu Kyi," the analyst added. (Reuter)
[excerpts from related article]

VOA : BURMESE RPT 7/18/97
July 18, 1997

Here in Washington (Friday) State Department Spokesman Nicholas Burns was
asked for the US reaction to the talks in Rangoon:

Burns act: ?We hope this marks the beginning of a long-awaited meaningful
dialogue between the NLD and the military dictators in Rangoon. We hope that
dialogue can be aimed at national reconciliation.?

The State Department added (Friday) that any  dialogue between the NLD and
SLORC must include Aung San Suu Kyi.

ALTSEAN: ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA'S ADMISSION
July 18, 1997

ALTSEAN-BURMA
A L T E R N A T I V E   A S E A N   N E T W O R K   O N    B U R M A
tel: 66 2 275 1811,  66 2 693 4515            fax: 66 2 693 4515
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>
c/o FORUM-ASIA  109 SUTHISARNWINICHAI RD  SAMSENNOK   HUAYKWANG   BANGKOK
10320   THAILAND

For Immediate Release: July 18, 1997
MEDIA RELEASE
ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA?S ADMISSION

KUALA LUMPUR: An alliance of Asean-based activists and political leaders
today slammed the regional grouping for proceeding with the admission of
Burma at the Ministerial Meeting scheduled to begin next week.

Democratic Action Party (DAP) Secretary-General Mr Lim Kit Siang,  Parti
Rakyat Malaysia (PRM) President Dr Syed Husin Ali, U Tin Maung Win of the
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB) and representatives of
ALTSEAN-BURMA (Alternative Asean Network on Burma) from Indonesia, Malaysia,
Philippines and Thailand spoke at a press conference to launch the book,
"From Consensus to Controversy - Asean?s Relationship with Burma?s Slorc".

The joint statement by ALTSEAN-BURMA said: "We view with deep regret Asean?s
disregard for the voice of its own peoples and the international community
by accepting an illegitimate ?government? into it?s ranks.  Burma?s State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) has far less political legitimacy
than Cambodia?s Hun Sen.

"As a matter of urgency, we respectfully urge Asean to seek SLORC compliance
with its agreement to transfer power based upon the outcome of the 1990
elections, in which the National League for Democracy won overwhelmingly.

"We reiterate our call for tripartite dialogue, between the military junta,
the National League for Democracy, and ethnic nationalities.  It is a matter
of immense concern that Slorc has defied Asean requests for dialogue. We
respectfully urge Asean to increase determined and co-ordinated efforts to
ensure that their desire for dialogue is heeded by the Slorc.

"We are concerned with the inconsistency shown in the application of Asean
standards. If Asean is to be  credible, it must be consistent in the
application of standards for civilised behaviour ? Asean should look at
Burma as a nation of 48 million people who are suffering under a reign of
terror at the hands of a regime that Asean supports.

"We call for the end to the systematic murder, torture and imprisonment of
innocent civilians and political activists by the SLORC regime," the joint
statement emphasised.

Malaysian Opposition leader Mr Lim Kit Siang said: "Asean should learn from
the failure of the "constructive engagement" policy on Burma and craft a new
pro-active approach to protect Asean?s international credibility by helping
Burma embark on the road of democratic reforms and national reconciliation."

PRM President Dr Syed Husin Ali said: "Now that Burma has joined Asean,
progressive and freedom-loving people in this region have a greater and more
difficult task to struggle for democracy and human rights not only in Burma,
but also in all Asean states ? now, more than ever, the duty of the people,
political parties, people?s organisations and non-governmental organisations
has grown in urgency."

MORE

U Tin Maung Win, representing the NCUB, an umbrella organisation of elected
MPs, ethnic nationality groups and pro-democracy groups from Burma,
described Asean?s appeasement approach to the Burmese junta as a sign of
weakness: "Most people view Asean membership as Slorc?s licence to kill.
Slorc will become more arrogant and increase the killing, rape, torture,
drug production and widespread repression.  The people of Burma won?t buy
Asean?s excuses nor forgive this blow.  It is deeply disappointing that
Asean did not defer membership in order to facilitate a peaceful solution in
Burma."

Ms Puttannee Kangkun of the Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma
said: "Constructive engagement did not help the refugees or migrant workers
of Burma.  In these past years, the number of recognised refugees have
increased greatly to 140,000.  Migrant workers who have been escaping
extreme poverty and brutality in Burma now number about 700,000.  Asean
doesn?t seem to care about people, only about money."

Mr Fan Yew Teng of Burma Solidarity Group Malaysia described the Cambodia
crisis as Asean?s "bitter harvest". "Asean should have acted firmly when the
Slorc refused to honour the 1990 elections which saw the National League for
Democracy win by a landslide.  Its inaction on this issue sent the message
that coups and grabbing power by force was acceptable in this region. It is
no surprise that the Cambodian coup happened."

"From Consensus to Controversy" is a compilation of articles by political
leaders, academics, journalists and activists from Burma and Asean member
states.
ENDS

For more information, please call 016 322 6152 (++ 60 16 322 6152 if dialing
from outside Malaysia) or 010 217 8011, or email <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>

ABSDF BOOK LAUNCH: ?LETTERS TO A DICTATOR? - EXTRACTS
July 15, 1997

A collection of 33 official letters from the National League for Democracy
(NLD) to the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to be published
this month, reveals the range of brutal tactics used by the SLORC to
suppress NLD members and Burma's elected government.

For further information call  01 654 4984.
----------

EXTRACTS FROM 'LETTERS TO A DICTATOR'

DIALOGUE
Letter 1, page 15
6. Because the State Law and Order Restoration Council does not co-operate
or communicate with political parties in Burma, the NLD is concerned about
unity in the country and the fact that the SLORC and the democratic forces
are travelling down separate paths.  In every democratic country,
governments and political parties co-operate for the benefit of their people
and nation. Without such co-operation it would be very difficult for any
achievements to be made.  Therefore, the NLD would like to propose that an
open dialogue be held for the benefit of the country, without preconditions
or limitations on which groups can attend.

Letter 2, page 18
6. The NLD has always welcomed any gesture from the SLORC towards a
substantial dialogue based on our principles of 'openness and sincerity, and
mutual respect', 'national reconciliation' and 'unity without animosity'.

Letter 14, page 81
20. The important point is that the NLD has repeatedly written to the SLORC
asking for a dialogue.  The party has done this because it believes that the
only way to solve the current problems, including those of the National
Convention, is through a substantial dialogue.  We strongly believe that
there is no other way.

PARLIAMENT AND ELECTIONS
Letter 3, page 23
16. In the 97th press conference SLORC made it clear that it will carry out
its duties in accordance with the laws, orders, and notifications that they
have issued. We would therefore like to point out that the convening of the
Hluttaw must be carried out at the earliest possible time to ensure the
restoration of law and order.

Letter 12, page 62
12. On 10 July 1991, the SLORC issued Order 4/91 which imposed seven new
national directives regarding 'law and order' during elections [and] 20 new
ethical standards which all candidates were required to follow.  Under this
retroactive law issued a year after the 1990 election, elected
representatives of the NLD were forced to resign for actions they had
allegedly committed a year earlier.

 ...on 19 May 1996 the authorities began to detain elected representatives of
the NLD who had not transgressed any election laws or retrospective
amendments.  According to a partial list the NLD has compiled, a total of
238 representatives throughout the country have been arrested.

CONSTITUTION
Letter 10, page 54
(c) In the statement read by Colonel Kyaw Win, the SLORC stated that the NLD
could only write a Constitution in the jungle.  This is totally
irresponsible and can be seen as an abrogation of the SLORC's objectives of
the cohesion of the Union, national unity, and the perpetuation of State
power.  When the citizens of a country are told by their government to go
underground and abandon the law, such comments are contrary to the unity of
a nation.

ATTACK ON DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S MOTORCADE
Letter 22, pages 114-115
8. It is obvious that the attacks were premeditated and that the aim was to
assassinate leaders of the NLD.  The authorities encouraged this act of
anarchism by deliberately ignoring the attacks which were carried out on
unarmed NLD leaders who had no ulterior motives.

9. We deplore these acts in the strongest possible terms.  We also urge you
to form an independent commission, that has mutual consent and is comprised
of respected members of our communities, to investigate these incidents and
publicly announce their findings to the entire nation as soon as possible.
We do this with the hope that these kinds of attacks will not happen again.

Letter 27, page 127
9. Among the duties of the police is to investigate crimes and charge
criminals in accordance with the law.  They are also responsible for
arresting suspects with sufficient proof of wrongdoing.  We are surprised to
have learned that the police, who have been able to investigate and solve
petty crimes, have not been able to find those responsible for the
potentially fatal attack which occurred on a busy street in broad daylight.
The duty of the police is to find the real criminals.

INTIMIDATION AND REPRESSION
Letter 7, page 44
(i) If NLD members had decided to walk to the lake and free the fish, the
authorities planned to disrupt the ceremony with Union Solidarity and
Development Association (USDA) members armed with stones and batons....

Letter 15, page 85
9. (a) ...The authorities in Maubin told NLD members that the party was
going to collapse because they were facing many hardships, and that they
should quit the NLD now because people listed as party members were likely
to be arrested once it was disbanded.  The authorities not only forced NLD
members to leave the party, but also made and distributed fake NLD
resignation forms.

Letter 20, page 99
1. The authorities have carried out repeated raids of homes belonging to
members of the National League for Democracy, which is a legal political
party, under the pretext of questioning people and inspecting premises.
These raids have occurred late at night and in the early hours of the morning.

Letter 21, page 105
II(e) The SLORC claims to be working for the advancement of a multi-party
democracy, and consequently it is imperative that democratic rights are
allowed to exist.  The posting of signs is an essential function of a
political party and preventing a party from exercising such a right is akin
to severing its lifeline.  We would like to remind you that the forced
dismantling of signs is contradictory to the SLORC's objective of the
'advancement of multi-party democracy'.

page 107
IV(c) The authorities also forced U Aung Kyaung to resign as a Member of
Parliament and as a member of the NLD by threatening to dismiss his daughter
from her job.  Once again, this was an immoral act.

Letter 28, pages 131-132
'[The Minister for Rail Transportation] U Win Sein tried to win the trust of
the people by encouraging them to turn against Aung San Suu Kyi, telling
them lies about her personal life...
 ...U Win Sein then shouted to the villagers three times, "That's why we must
get rid of her!  We must exterminate her!"  He asked the audience if they
knew the meaning of the phrase "exterminate her", and he said it meant to
kill her.'

Letter 29, page 134
'While two of the robbers were pulling my things back, the leader of the
group was threatening me....I shouted at them saying, "Who are you people?
Are you terrorising me, robbing me like this in public?  Are you [the
SLORC's] hitmen?"...Then the leader pulled out a jagged eight-inch knife.  I
said to him, "Come on, strike me.  Weapons don't show courage.  Come on, go
ahead." '

Letter 31, page 141
(c) On 30 December 1996 the Danupyhu Court ordered Ko Than Htut, leader of
the Danuphyu NLD Youth Organising Committee, not to travel out of the
township for one year, under the 1961 Habitual Criminal Restriction Act.
The NLD believes the court decision is offensive and inconsistent with
existing laws.  The authorities are treating NLD members as if they were
thugs, repeat offenders or vagrants waiting for a chance to commit crimes.
We also consider the decision immoral as it degrades the dignity of the
person concerned.

Letter 33, page 148
[Appendix A]
At the base, the Commander of Infantry 56, Lieutenant Colonel Ko Ko, met
each of the NLD members individually and forced them to resign from the
party.  He used various threats to intimidate the members into resigning.

In one of the threats he said, "You must resign from the NLD, otherwise your
life may be in danger."...

 ...He told them, "You are our prey.  We are making noises because we don't
want to waste our time hiding in wait.  All we've got to do is shoot.
You'll only get one chance to decide, not two.  You must realise that the
army is ruling the country.  You must do what you are told to do.  We are
determined to weed out any obstacles."

page 152-153
[Appendix C]
'The NLD has learned that members have been taken to be used as porters for
military operations...[and that NLD member] U Saw Htun Nwe, a Karen
national, died of fatigue as a result of his age...Until now the NLD has not
received any information regarding the rest of the officials [and] does not
know if its members are wounded or healthy, dead or alive.  The NLD
considers this act of forced conscription as absolutely barbaric.'

Page 162-163
[Appendix I]
'The Pantanaw Township LORC summoned officials from all departments of the
town and asked them if Dr. Tin Min Htut had violated any law.  When [they]
could not find fault with him the town's police chief ordered...his men to
find anything that could incriminate the NLD representative...

 ...when the police searched Dr. Tin Min Htut's house they found two
Singaporean coins in a small toy cup [his] son was playing with.  Dr Tin Min
Htut was then arrested for illegal possession of a foreign currency.'

BKK POST: MONEY TO FUND TWO MAJOR ROAD PROJECTS
July 18, 1997
Somporn Thapanachai

New links will cut travel times within the region

Thailand will provide a 430-million-baht low-interest loan to Burma for the
Myawaddy-Moulmein and Kengtung-Kunming road projects with funds from the
Indochina Fund.

Dr Pornchai Rujiprapa from the Office of National Economics and Social
Development Board said officials from the Finance Ministry, which
administers the fund, would meet Burmese officials next week to discuss
details of the projects.

It is likely that 200 million baht will be provided for the 170-kilometre
Myawaddy-Moulmein road under a 10-year free repayment period and a 20-year
payback period with interest of 2.5-3%. The remaining 230 million baht will
be allocated for the Kengtung-Kunming road under the same conditions.

The conditions for the two projects is similar to loans provided by the
Overseas Economics Cooperation Fund. The government tries to maintain the
Indochina Fund at 500 million baht annually.

It provides loans to projects which are not attractive to other fund
providers but benefit Thailand and its neighbours.

The Thai government's move is in line with a request from the Thai private
sectors in Tak and the Burmese, according to a report by the International
Consultancy Network Co (ICN).

The consultant has released its study of industrial cooperation between
Thailand and Burma on the Mae Sot-Myawaddy-Moulmein-Rangoon route. It
suggested that Thailand should act as a land bridge for the east-west
development corridor from Danang in Vietnam to Burma's deep-sea port.

Panithi Tungphati, vice-chairman of Tak Chamber of Commerce said the new
route would assist in reducing time and transportation cost of goods from
Maesod to Rangoon which currently take three days to reach the capital and
costs about 2.80 baht per kilogramme.

The transportation of goods from Mae Sot to Rangoon takes less time than
from other provinces in Thailand which can take up to about 12 days by land
or more than 21 days by ship.

The construction of the new road will boost border trade from the present
level of 280 million baht a year, or 5,000 tons a month.

Sompop Amatayakul, Deputy Industry Minister, said Thailand needed an action
plan to use Burma as a western gateway for land transport to Pakistan, India
and China.

He said both Thailand and Burma had skills they could bring to the plan.

Thailand has specialisation in production, management, trades and
infrastructure development while Burma has a large labour pool, raw
materials and a good location to develop a deep sea port.

If the infrastructure in Burma was developed, Thailand would be able to
export goods produced in the north using Burma's deep sea port and reduce
its dependence on Singapore, Mr Sompop said.

He said bilateral trade relations between Thailand and Burma would improve
after the opening of bridge crossing over Moei River on August 15.

Dr Varin Harnvongchao, chairman of ICN, said 20 projects in Thailand needing
development would cost 21,429.14 million baht and 13 projects in Burma would
require 26,626 million baht.

The projects range from the establishment of special economic zone at the
Thai-Burmese border, electricity generation projects in Thailand and
construction of a deep sea port at Kalegauk Island.

Members of Chamber of Commerce and Federation of Thai Industries in Tak also
supported the establishment of special economic zones in Myawadi and Maesod
to attract investments and create jobs for Thai and Burmese workers. The
economic zone would assist Thailand in controlling illegal immigration.

But Dr Pornchai said the proposed special economic zone was still vague and
the government would wait for a study from Asian Development Bank before
making a decision.

The bank study will also identify industries which have potential for
investment along the border.

THAILAND TIMES: TAK TO CONSTRUCT NEW EMBANKMENT
July 18, 1997
By Assawin Pinitwong

TAK: Thailand is to construct an embankment to change the course of the Moei
River in a bid to reconnect a plot of Thai land separated by changes in the
river's flow caused by flash flooding three years ago.

The Interior Ministry's Public Works Department is reportedly preparing to
build a wall along the Moei River at Mae Khon Khen village in Mae Sot in Tak
province in an attempt to change the river' s flow which has eroded Thai
soil resulting in 340 rai of land owned by 17 Thai residents being cut off
from the mainland.

An official from the department said the project which will cost about 25
million baht is aimed at restoring the river's old course before the 1994
and 1 995 floods.

He said the province tried two similar projects in the past which cost about
four million baht, but they failed to put an end to the problem.

A security source in Tak said that under a bilateral agreement on border
issues, the islet which has not yet become part of Burma is still considered
to be a possession of Thailand, and Thai authorities have already placed a
flag there to denote sovereignty.

He said this case was completely different to the controversial case in
which Burma dredged the Moei River near Ban Rim Moei to change the river's
course, because that change in the river's flow occurred in a natural way.

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS
[excerpts only]

July 14, 1997

CHINESE NATIONAL DRUG ABUSE CONTROL COMMISSION
DELEGATION VISITS THANLYIN. KYAUKTAN REGIONS

     YANGON, 13 July Vice-Chairman of National Drug Abuse Control
     Commission of the People?s Republic of China Deputy Minister of
     Public Security Mr Bai Jingfu and party, currently here at the
     invitation of Chairman of the central Committee for Drug Abuse
     Control Minister for Home Affairs Lt-Gen Mya Thin, accompanied by
     Joint-Secretary of CCDAC Police Col Ngwe Soe Tun, visited the
     Shwedagon Pagoda this morning.

OVER 35,000 USDA MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED

     YANGON, 13 July-Altogether 15,953 membership applications of the
     Union Solidarity and Development Association were collectively
     submitted in Hsataung Station in Sagaing Township on 11 July.
     Present were Chairman of Sagaing Division Law and Order Restoration
     Council Commander of North West Command Maj-Gen Hla Myint
      Swe, officials and local residents totalling 15,000.
     The commander accepted the membership applications of 15 village
     tracts.
     Four USDA members submitted 21,519 membership applications of
     Myoma NO 3 Ward and 32 Village tracts in Wetlet Township to the
     commander and Secretary of Division USDA Daw Moe Moe Thein at
     the compound of Basic Education High School in Wetlet the same day.
     A similar ceremony was held at Mingala Kandaw Hall in Pyinmana on
     9 July.
     Brig-Gen Maung Bo of Pyinmana Station spoke on the occasion.
     Village organizers submitted 9,906 USDA membership applications of
     wards and village tracts to Secretary of Township USDA U Khin
     Maung Htay and organizers U Myint Swe and U Aung Khin.

TWO JOURNALISTS LEAVE FOR BANGKOK

     YANGON, 13 X July-Editor U Saw Myint of The New Light of
      Myanmar and senior reporter U Night Aug of Myna Lain Daily left
      here today for Bangkok to attend journalism workshop sponsored by
      Reuters Foundation.

July 15, 1997

MINISTER FOR INDUSTRY-1 RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF
BRUNEI DARUSSALEM

     YANGON, 14 July Member of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Minister for Industry-1 Lt-Gen Sein Aung received
     Ambassador of Brunei Darussalem Mr Pangiran Dato Peduka Haji
     Asmaleebin Pangiran Ahmad at his office this morning.

MINISTER FOR FORESTRY RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF
AUSTRALIA

     YANGON 14 July Member of the State Law and Order
     Restoration Council Minister for Forestry Lt-Gen Chit Swe received
     Ambassador of Australia Ms Lyndall Alexandra McLean at the
     Intentional Business Centre this afternoon.

150,000 ACRES CULTIVABLE DUE RECLAMATION UNDER
NYAUNGDON KYUN RECLAMATION PROJECT

     YANGON, 14 July Mezali Sluice Gate in Nyaungdon Township,
     Ayeyawady Division, was commissioned this morning with a speech by
     Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation Lt-Gen Myint Aung. It was built
     by Construction-1 of the Irrigation Department near Mezali Village in
     Nyaungdon Township.
     Also present on the occasion were Ministers, Chairman of Ayeyawady
     Division Law and Order Restoration Council Commander of
     South-West Command MajGen Nyunt Tin, senior military
     officers, Diplomats led by Sri Lankan Ambassador Mr K B Fernando,
     officials of the World Health Organization, the Director-General of
     the Protocol Department and officials, those of the departments under
     the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, the chairmen
     and members of Division, District and Township Law and Order
     Restoration Councils in Ayeyawady Division, the department heads,
     executives of the, Union Solidarity and Development Association,
     teachers and students, Red Cross and Auxiliary Fire Brigade members,
     peasants of 44 village-tracts in Nyaungdon Township and local people
     altogether numbering over 8,000.

CONTRACT SIGNED FOR BUILDING TWO 2,000-TON SUGAR
MILLS

     YANGON, 14 July Myanma Sugarcane Enterprise of the Ministry for
     Agriculture and Irrigation and the National Heavy Industries
     Corporation of the People?s Republic of China today signed a contract
     for building two 2,000-ton sugar mills, each valued at $ 20.8
     million.
     The contract is for building the sixth and seventh sugar mills of the
     10 to be built for boosting export of sugar.

PT EXSPAN SUMATERA OIL CO OF INDONESIA TO EXPLORE OIL,
GAS IN MAGWAY DIVISION

     YANGON, 14 July - PT Exspan Sumatera Oil Company of Indonesia
     has agreed today to explore and produce oil and natural gas at three
     onshore blocks in Magway Division.
     The Indonesian company signed a production sharing contract with
     Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise to explore and produce oil and gas in
     block Nos RSF-5 in Ohndwe area, EP-1 in Kyaukkyi Mindon area and
     MOGE-3 in Padaukpin-Monnatkon area, in the Division.
     Minister for Energy U Khin Maung Thein delivered an address.
     Managing Director of MOGE U Kyaw Nyein and President of PT
     Exspan Sumaters Company Mr John S Karamoy also spoke. Officials
     then signed the contract.
     The minister presented the permit to the company.
     The ceremony at the Ministry of Energy was also attended by Secretary
     of Myanmar Investment Commission Minister at the Office of Deputy
     Prime Minister Brig-Gen Maung Maung, Minister at the Office of
     Deputy Prime Minister U Khin Maung Yin, Minister for
     Communications, Posts and Telegraphs U Soe Tha, Deputy Minister for
     Energy U Tin Tun, Ambassador of Indonesia Maj-Gen (Police) A
     Poerwanto Lenggono President of MEDC Energy Corporation of
     Indonesian Mr Arifin Panigoro, Adviser at the Pertamina Oil Company
     of Indonesia Mr Zudhi Pane, departmental personnel and other
     officials.

MINISTER FOR HOME AFFAIRS RECEIVES CHINESE
DELEGATION

     YANGON, 14 July Member of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Chairman of the Central Committee for Drug Abuse Control
     Minister for Home Affairs Lt-Gen Mya Thin received Vice-Chairman
     of National Drug Abuse Control Commission of the People?s Republic
     of China Deputy Minister of Public Security Mr Bai Jingfu and party at
     his office this morning.

MINISTER FOR NPED RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF BRUNEI
DARUSSALEM

     YANGON, 14 July -Minister for National Planning and Economic
     Development Brig-Gen Abel received Ambassador of Brunei
     Darussalem Mr Pangiran Dato Peduka Haji Asmalee bin Pangiran
     Ahmad at his office this morning.

DIRECTOR GENERAL LEAVES TO ATTEND 6TH MEETING OF
ASEAN NATIONAL TOURISM ORGANIZATIONS

     YANGON, 14 July - Director-General of Directorate of Hotels and
     Tourism U Khin Maung Latt oft the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism left
     here by air this morning for Singapore to attend the 6th Meeting of
     ASEAN National Tourism Organizations to be held
     from 15 to 18 July in Singapore at the invitation of Singapore
     Tourism Services Promotion Board.
     _______________________________________

    English :     http://www.myanmar.com/nlm/
    German:     http://www.myanmar.com/nlm/gnlm/

ANNOUNCEMENT: ABSDO AUSTRALIA CONVENTION
July 18, 1997

All Burma Students' Democratic Organization  (Australia)

The fourth convention of the All Burma Students' Democratic Organization
(Australia) was successfully convened at Sydney on the 13th and 14 th July,
1997 and was attended by students' representatives from Sydney, Melbourne,
Canberra and Adelaide.
The new central executive committe elected by the conference are:
        President:                      Ko Toe Toe
        Vice President:                 Ko Khun Kyaw
        General Secretary               Ko Ye Myint Tun
        Joint Secretary(1)              Ko Mg Mg Naing
        Joint Secretary(2)              Ko Min Sein
        International Co-ordinator       Ko Wynn Aung
                                        Ko Par Pa(Nyi Nyi Soe)
        News & Information Dept         Ko Thadoe Aung
                                        Ko Myo Aye
        Finance Dept                    Ko Thit Naing
                                        Daw Nweni Tun
        Organizing Dept                 Ko Aung Thwin Oo(Ant Tin)
                                        Ko Khin Mg Aye(Ba Toe)

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different topics
related to Burma. If you have questions on any of the following subjects,
please direct email to the following volunteer coordinators, who will either
answer your question or try to put you in contact with someone who can:

Campus activism: 	zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boycott campaigns:        ai268@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buddhism:                    Buddhist Relief Mission:  brelief@xxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:        [volunteer temporarily away]
Fonts:                  		tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
High School Activism: 	[volunteer needed]
History of Burma:            zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
International Affairs: 	 Julien Moe: moe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kachin history/culture:      74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture: 	Karen Historical Society:
102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon history/culture:         [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture: 	Wungram Shishak:
z954001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burma-India border            Aung San Myint:
aungsan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pali literature:            	 "Palmleaf":  c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Pipeline Campaign       	freeburma@xxxxxxx
Resettlement info:	refugee_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rakhaing (Arakan) history/culture
			Kyaw Tha Hla:thisthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rohingya culture		volunteer needed
Shan history/culture: 	Sao Hpa Han: burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shareholder activism:       simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Total - France		Dawn Star: cd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tourism campaigns:      	bagp@xxxxxxxxxx     "Attn. S.Sutcliffe"
volunteering: 		refugee_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
World Wide Web:              FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx

Geographical Contacts:
Massachusetts		simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

FREE BURMA WEB PAGES:

http://FreeBurma.org

This single page serves only as an easy to remember URL and departure
point to resources promoting the establishment of democracy in Burma.
Please write to FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx to add a site or for further
information." - Glen, system administrator

FREE BURMA COALITION:

to get involved in the Free Burma Coalition, send a message to:
zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or visit their homepage, accessible through: http:// FreeBurma.org

There is also an e-mail list-server especially for Free Burma activists

BURMANET SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION:

The BurmaNet News is an electronic newspaper covering Burma.
Articles from newspapers, magazines, newsletters, the wire
services and the Internet as well as original material are published.
It is produced with the support of the Burma Information Group
(B.I.G) and the Research Department of the ABSDF.  We are also
grateful to many other friends around the world who send us articles
to post.

The BurmaNet News is e-mailed directly to subscribers and is
also distributed via the soc.culture.burma and seasia-l mailing lists.

For a free subscription to the BurmaNet News:
send a message to: majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx

a. For the BurmaNet News only:
    in the message, type:    subscribe burmanews-l

b. For the BurmaNet News and 4-5 other messages a day:
    in the message, type:     subscribe burmanet-l

(NOTE: all lower case letters, last letter is a lower case "L", not the
numeral one).

Letters to the editor, comments or contributions of articles should be
sent to the editor at: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx