Berkeley Running Out of Gas

Boycott-happy city can't find a politically correct oil company
The San Francisco Chronicle
Monday, July 21, 1997 * Page A1

Elaine Herscher, Chronicle East Bay Bureau

Berkeley is boycotting so many things that soon there may be no gasoline
politically correct enough to run the city's vehicles. With the City Council
expected to pass yet another boycott resolution tomorrow -- this one against
companies that do business with Nigeria -- Berkeley will be precluded from
buying products from Arco, Unocal, Texaco, Chevron, Mobil and Shell.

"Pretty soon we'll have to do our own offshore drilling," quipped Berkeley
City Councilwoman Polly Armstrong. Exxon is the only major oil company not on
the banned list. And that's no help. The city is unofficially boycotting
Exxon, too, because of its sluggish response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil
spill that fouled 700 miles of Alaskan shoreline. That leaves only
"off-brand" gasoline, which City Manager James Keene believes could damage
Berkeley's fleet. Passenger cars, fire engines and public-works trucks would
probably keep running smoothly, but street sweepers and police cars can be
temperamental if they don't get premium gasoline, he said.

Last Tuesday, the City Council watched a video on military repression and
violations of human rights by the Nigerian government, which the filmmakers
said is largely supported by Shell Oil Co. "It's certainly the prerogative of
the council" to issue boycotts, Keene said. "Our concern is there is a
potential price we do pay as a community." So far, the city's gasoline
supplier has guaranteed quality alternatives to the name brands, and the
council voted last week to let Berkeley employees continue using Chevron
credit cards for three months until the staff finds a substitute.

As of this week, Berkeley will be boycotting companies that do business in
Burma, Tibet and Nigeria, out of opposition to repressive regimes in those
countries. Chevron, like Shell, does business with Nigeria. Arco, Unocal,
Mobil and Texaco are in Burma. The city is also precluded from buying
products from Hewlett- Packard and NEC computers because both companies make
products for the defense industry.

The same goes for companies that contribute products to the nuclear industry.
The printout of forbidden businesses operating in Burma alone is nearly a
half-inch thick, printed on both sides. Acting Finance Director Frances David
says her staff must consult the list each time they buy a new product.

A $40,000-a-year city clerk spends one-fourth of her time reviewing various
databases for forbidden products. But the city staff takes it in stride,
David said. "We live in Berkeley, what can I tell you?" She said that despite
the hassle, Berkeley's social policy is sound.

Following Berkeley's and San Francisco's lead, the number of U.S. cities that
boycotted businesses dealing in South Africa went a long way toward ending
apartheid there, city employees say.

But some in Berkeley's government are not so sure the city's involvement in
international issues is worth the price. "I think Berkeley has enough
problems of its own," Councilwoman Armstrong said. "When we've straightened
out our problems, I think we can start reaching out to others."

At least one crisis -- over cola drinks -- was recently averted. Pepsi-Cola
had been banned from soda machines in city buildings because the company had
dealings in Burma. Meanwhile, Coca-Cola is destined to be banished, too,
because the company peddles its product in Nigeria. That would have left a
cola vacuum at City Hall. But now it is rumored that Pepsi has stopped doing
business in Burma. So Pepsi is in. Coke is out.