Statement by Myanmar Foreign Minist

Subject: Statement by Myanmar Foreign Minister in ASEAN

	Statement by His Excellency U Ohn Gyaw
	**************************************
        Minister for Foreign Affairs of Myanmar
	***************************************

Mr. Chairman,
Esteemed Colleagues,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Distinguished Guests,

I deem it a high honour, and my most pleasant of duties, to sign on
behalf of
the Government of the Union of Myanmar, the Declaration on the Admission
of the Union of Myanmar as a full member of the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations. Today is a significant moment in the contemporary history of
my country as Myanmar now stands proudly as part of the ASEAN family, an
integral part of Southeast Asia in spirit and in letter. It also marks
another
important achievement for ASEAN as we move close to the fulfilment of the
Association's founding fathers.

The significant experience we share today is a powerful illustration of the
strength of determination that the people of Southeast Asia sharing many
historical and cultural links, possess as the means of achieving our
aspirations.
The courage and conviction on the part of ASEAN, and dedication and
devotion on the part of Myanmar are concrete examples of this determination.

On behalf of the Government and people of the Union of Myanmar, I have the
honour to express our gratitude and firm determination to further prove our
sincerity of commitment and contribution to the Association, and most
importantly, to our friends, the original founding members, as well as Brunei
Darussalam and Vietnam, our profound appreciation for the kind
understanding and consideration tendered to Myanmar.

I wish also to take this opportunity to express my deep thanks to the
Chairman of the 30th ASEAN Standing Committee, Dato' Seri' Abdullah bin
Haji Ahmad Badawi, and to my Fellow Ministers for the kind words of
welcome expressed at this auspicious ceremony.

Mr. Chairman,

ASEAN's enormous success as a mechanism for the progress, peace and
prosperity of the nations of Southeast Asia is evident for all to witness and
experience. Over the past thirty years, the Association has overcome many
critical challenges and has weathered the winds of change time and again.
from
the orignial 5, ASEAN has welcomed first Brunei Darussalam, then Vietnam,
and now Laos and Myanmar into the fold, thus forging the chain that links
more than 500 million people of the region together. The combined
strength of
our resources and the ASEAN spirit of constructive cooperation will certainly
ensure a deeper enhancement of ASEAN's role and prestige while bringing
about development for all.

We in Myanmar are very much aware that a harmonious approach to any kind
of development will ensure a sustained success, which is very important for
our future generations. It is for them that we are now laying down the
foundations of a peaceful, prosperous, modern, developed state with harmony
among the national races. As I have stated at various fora, progress and
stability start at the national level. With our own house in order we
will be able
to contribute towards order for the community we live in. To this end,
Myanmar will not be found lacking in any of her responsibilities and
obligations, at either the national or the regional level.

Once again, may I expressed my most sincere appreciation to all our good
friends and neighbours who have assisted and supported our efforts with kind
understanding as the basis of ASEAN's constructive engagement. As a full
member of ASEAN, Myanmar wishes to reiterate our undertaking to fulfill the
responsibilities and obligations of member states. In keeping with the active
and independent foreign policy of Myanmar, I pledge Myanmar's active
participation in all areas of ASEAN cooperation to ensure that the
Association's strength is enhanced and reinforced, with our contribution,
as we
all work together for a cohesive, competitive, prosperous, stable and secure
Southeast Asia in the 21st century.

(by Myanmar Foreign Minister)

	News and Information Dept.
	All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation (ABSDO) [Australia]
	Tel/Fax: 61+03+98132613