Canada mulls restrictions on Burma

Subject: Canada mulls restrictions on Burma trade

	Canada mulls restrictions on Burma trade

OTTAWA, July 28 (Reuter) - Canada is considering imposing new trade
restrictions on Burma to
press its rulers to talk to pro-democracy activists, an official
spokeswoman said on Monday.

``We are looking at further trade sanctions,'' spokeswoman Jennifer
Ledwidge of the Department of
Foreign Affairs and International Trade said.

``We think that trade measures are helpful when taken together with other
like-minded countries,''
Ledwidge said, pointing to measures taken by the United States and the
European Union against
Burma.

``At the moment we don't see any improvement coming (in Burma), and
that's why we're looking at
further sanctions.''

She said Canada felt it had a relationship with China -- with which it
practices a policy it calls
engagement and trade -- and was hopeful of improvements there.

Canada has already suspended aid to Burma and offers no government
support for trade with that
country. Burma last week joined the Association of South East Asian
Nations, which rejected the
idea of trade or investment bans in favor of dialogue.

(Reuter, 28 July 1997)

	News and Information Dept.
	All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation (ABSDO) [Australia]
	Tel/Fax: 61+03+98132613