NEWS FORM INDIA (r)

    CANADA JOINS US IN IMPOSING CURBS ON BURMESE JUNTA

By Hari S. Maniam

Kuala Lumpur,  July 29:  Canada will join the Unites States
in  imposing  sanctions on  Burma's government  after being
turned  down in attempts to  encourage that country to make
democracy  reforms  Canadian  officials  said  on  Tuesday.

The Canadians said they had sought progress in a variety of
ways  in a meeting on Tuesday with Burmese foreign minister
Ohn  Gyaw,   but that  he was  unambiguously unresponsive."

"We didn't see any willingness to engage," Canadian foreign
minister  Lloyd Axworthy said in an interview with Voice of
America radio. "Therefore, in this case, a broader level of
international  censure, I think, is necessary," Mr Axworthy
added.

Canada  is considering a  halt to investment  and limits to
trade,   perhaps through  higher tariffs,   specifically to
counter  Burma's attempts  to encourage  foreign investment
through  its new status  as a member  of the Association of
South East Asian nations, the officials said.

The  Montreal  Gazette  quoted Mr  Axworthy  on  Tuesday as
saying   all  international  and   regional  pressures  for
political  reform have  been met  so far  with a "deafening
silence" from Burma.

The  paper quoted him as saying  Canada aimed to keep Burma
from  profiting from its new membership in Asean,  which on
Tuesday  concluded a  series of annual  security talks with
Asian and Western developed countries.

Asean  consists of Malaysia,  Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam,
the  Philippines,  Singapore Brunei,  Laos and Burma.  At a
closing  news conference,  Mr Ohn Gyaw was asked to respond
to   criticism  from  other  foreign  ministers  especially
European   Union  president  Jacques  Poos,   that  Burma's
presentations  had  been  neither  credible  nor  adequate.

"What  I am providing  is what is actually  going on in the
country,"  he said.  "What  I am presenting  is true facts,
real  facts," he said, adding, "Wrong impressions about the
situation  are  gathered  from talking  to  people  who are
against the government."

"We are proceeding toward democracy," he said,  adding that
there   were  differences  of   opinion  on  "whether  that
democracy accords with the outside world's perception or is
in accordance with our own values."

Responding  to Mr  Ohn Gyaw,   US under  secretary of state
Stuart  Eizenstat said,  "Our view is that Burma's top drug
traffickers  have become  leading investors  in the economy
and  leading lights  in the  new political  order." He said
that   the  situation  poisoned   the  atmosphere  for  any
investment in the country and was a basis for the US ban on
all new investment there.

The  United States is  seeking international cooperation to
isolate  Burma economically and politically to put pressure
on  its military government into making democratic reforms.
It opposed Burma's admission to Asean.

The  United States  also has cut  off aid  to Cambodia,  in
another  difference  with Asean,   which ended  this year's
conference by announcing that Cambodian coup leader Hun Sen
had  formally welcomed the  organization's help in bringing
about  political  stability so  that it  can soon  join the
trade group.

"Asean  has come  of age as  an institution  to bring about
peace and stability." Mr Eizenstat said.

"It  has recognized the need,  even while taking Burma as a
member,  to improve standards in Burma and it has postponed
the  membership of Cambodia.  This is a major change.  This
was a historical Asean conference," Mr Eizenstat said. (AP)

                               The Asian Age 30, July 1997.
     News and Information Bureau, All Burma Students League

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |
    |  3, Krishna Menon Marg              |