What Secretary Albright has been sa

Subject: What Secretary Albright has been saying on Burma
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:11:34 -0400

Following are excerpts selected from press briefings/statements by U.S.
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright saying about Burma while her trip to
ASEAN meeting in July 1997.
----------------

U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Press briefing enroute to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (July 25, 1997)

QUESTION: Madam Secretary, are you concerned that as ASEAN expands it is
taking in countries that are autocratic and moving away from the kinds of
democratic principles that have swept the rest of the world and that we
would like to see in this part of the world?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: As you know, the United States has made it quite clear
that we did not think they should be taking Burma in, as an example. But we
have believed, as have they, that they want to have an ASEAN-10 and they
are, as I said in my introductory remarks, going to have to sort out
themselves how they deal with taking in different kinds of governments.
That is what I said -- they have to look inside to figure out how they
would deal with different governments.

It is our hope that they will use their influence with the SLORC in order
to get them to have a dialogue with the NLD and Aung Sung Suu Kyi. One
needs to respect ASEAN's method of operating, which is something I said
initially. They have a very collegial approach and operate by consensus.
Their method of operating should in fact be used in a way that deals with
different forms of government in appropriate ways.
------------------

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Statement to the ASEAN Regional Forum, Sunway Lagoon Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 27, 1997

ASEAN has shown impressive leadership on Cambodia, and we encourage a
similar effort by ASEAN and the ARF to promote respect for democracy, law
and human rights in Burma. For here, too, the lack of legitimate government
has created a breakdown of order based on law that threatens stability
within the entire region.

The United States shares the goal of an integrated Southeast Asia that
includes an open and thriving Burma. We acknowledge that the decision to
admit Burma was ASEAN's to make and we respect it. Now that the choice has
been made, we must insist that we work together: to promote conditions
within Burma that will lead towards true democracy and permit its genuine
integration into this region.

Let me explain why we believe Burma is now an anomaly within ASEAN, and why
we believe it is in ASEAN's own interest to work for fundamental change in
that country.

Burma is the only member of ASEAN singled out by the UN General Assembly
for refusing to honor election results, the only member where the state and
society are fundamentally at odds. Burma is the only nation in ASEAN where
it is illegal to own a fax machine, where the police arrest legitimate
business people to stop currency fluctuations, where public schools are
routinely closed to prevent political unrest.

Burma is also the only member of ASEAN where the government protects and
profits from the drug trade. In fact, Burma's top traffickers have become
leading investors in its economy and leading lights in its new political
order. Drug money is laundered with such impunity in Burma that it taints
legitimate investment.

Because of its government's actions, Burma is also the only member of ASEAN
and the ARF subject to international sanctions and consumer boycotts, the
only member that is denied multilateral lending, the only member where
foreign investment is stagnating.

Burma is inside ASEAN, but it will remain outside the Southeast Asian
mainstream and isolated from the global economy until accountable
government is restored. That is not an admonition, but an objective fact we
must acknowledge.

The admission of Burma presents a challenge: to avoid the possibility of a
chasm within ASEAN, between one part that is open, integrated and
prospering, and another that is closed, isolated and poor.

Movement toward a more open and democratic Burma, on the other hand, would
reduce tensions created by refugees and ethnic conflict. It would create a
climate in which cooperative action against narcotics could be effective.
It would permit the revival of Burma's political and economic institutions
and allow this proud country to contribute to the well-being of the region.

Burma's future and ASEAN's future are now joined. And now, more than ever,
Burma's problems need an ASEAN solution. That is why I hope ASEAN will use
its contacts with the SLORC to urge a dialogue of reconciliation in Burma.
On behalf of the United States, I pledge our best efforts to work with
ASEAN to achieve this goal.

To be worthwhile, that dialogue cannot be an end in itself -- it must lead
to political change. To be genuine, it must rest on a willingness to
compromise, not just on the part of the opposition but on the part of the
SLORC as well. To succeed, it must include Aung San Suu Kyi, the only
leader who enjoys the support and trust of the vast majority of the Burmese
people.

I also hope ASEAN will broaden its engagement with Burma so that the
Burmese nation, its people and their legitimate leaders will also be heard
in this region. To play a constructive role in promoting dialogue inside
Burma, it is important that we all engage in our own dialogue with those
who represent the popular will.

Finally, I hope our partners in ASEAN will work with other nations, with
the UN, and with non-governmental organizations to help the Burmese people
deal with the staggering social crisis their nation faces -- including a
growing AIDS epidemic, and a declining, neglected system of education.
These problems must be overcome if Burma is to rejoin this region -- and
ASEAN nations have the experience and resources to help.
----------------------

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Statement at the ASEAN Post Ministerial Conference,
Nine-Plus-Ten Session, Sunway Lagoon Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 28, 1997

The primary source of these drugs is Burma, which is itself experiencing an
alarming rise in drug abuse and AIDS infection. Narcotics production has
grown in Burma year after year, defying every international effort to solve
the problem. As a result, drug traffickers who once spent their days
leading mule trains down jungle tracks are now leading lights in Burma's
new market economy and leading figures in its new political order.

We are increasingly concerned that Burma's drug traffickers, with official
encouragement, are laundering their profits through Burmese banks and
companies -- some of which are joint ventures with foreign businesses. Drug
money has become so pervasive in Burma that it taints legitimate investment
and threatens the region as a whole. This is a challenge we must face
together -- and another reminder that it will be hard to do normal business
in Burma until a climate of law is restored to that country.

Indeed, it is hard to imagine a lasting solution to this region's narcotics
problem without a lasting solution to Burma's political crisis. This is one
reason why President Clinton has barred future U.S. investment in the
country.
-----------------

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Statement to the ASEAN Post-Ministerial Conference,
Nine-Plus-One Session, Sunway Lagoon Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. July 28, 1997

Throughout this process, we will insist on respect for the 1991 Paris Peace
Accords, for the Cambodian constitution, and for the democratic process
that has given the Cambodian people five years of relative peace after
decades of horror and fear.

Similarly, we look forward to a strong effort by ASEAN to encourage respect
for law, democracy and human rights in Burma. Here, too, democratic
elections were forcefully overturned. Here, too, a lack of legitimate
government has led to a breakdown of order based on law that threatens
regional stability.

The decision to admit Burma was ASEAN's to make and we respect it. But the
question remains whether conditions within Burma will permit its true
integration in this region, as a nation that pays dividends to those who
invest in its future.

Let me be very clear: We do not ask ASEAN to pass judgment on a new member;
we ask simply that you accept the judgment of the Burmese people, that the
status quo in their country is dangerous and wrong. We do not ask ASEAN to
impose a solution on Burma from the outside; but rather to accept that a
lasting solution cannot be imposed by force from the inside, either.

Nor is this a question of interfering in Burma's internal affairs. Burma's
future and ASEAN's future are now joined; whatever approach ASEAN may take
is bound to influence the political struggle in that nation. That is why we
ask ASEAN to use its influence constructively, to encourage a dialogue of
reconciliation. We are ready to work with ASEAN to achieve this goal and to
discuss the range of solutions that may be possible.

I note that just a few days ago, we marked the fiftieth anniversary of the
assassination of Aung San, the father of Burmese independence. And I note
as well that not long before he died, Aung San invited representatives from
throughout this region to Rangoon to discuss the formation of an
association of southeast Asian states, similar to what ASEAN has become.

I suspect that if Aung San were alive today, he would be delighted to see
the nations of this region working together to preserve their independence,
enhance their prosperity and enlarge the sway of freedom. I suspect he
would want his nation and others to take the steps that would allow them to
participate meaningfully in this region's remarkable achievements.
--------------------

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Press Briefing, Four Seasons Hotel
Singapore, July 29, 1997

QUESTION: The second question that I have is about Burma. You have been
very strong in expressing the U.S. position on Burma. But did you come away
from the ASEAN forum with more than a hope, just a hope, that ASEAN would
take some measures to influence change in Burma? Or is it just a hope?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: No, I mean I had a sense that they listened very
carefully to what I had to say and that, frankly, that I articulated what
some of them had been thinking. They were more willing to admit frankly
than I had expected that the process in Burma was much slower than they
would like. And they were as dubious as I was about the explanations of the
situation as given by the Burmese Foreign Minister. So I do think that they
see that they have a responsibility vis-à-vis Burma and that by taking
Burma into ASEAN that they have created a different situation within ASEAN,
now, of having a government that they do not agree with. This is something
that they do not want to have an internal dispute on and, therefore, they
want to have some movement on the Burmese front.

QUESTION: Today in Malaysia the Foreign Minister of the Philippines is
being a bit critical of the U.S. position on Burma, saying that sanctions
don't really work, and he compared the situation to sanctions against Cuba.
Now you said that in some of your meetings they said something inside the
meetings and then said something outside. Is this difficult in dealing with
this region? The public face versus the private face?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: I do not think it is characteristic of this region. I
think it is generally the line of work we are in.

QUESTION: But it is happening, correct?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: I think there are different venues for one's statements
and I think that there are those who will say everywhere they do not
believe in our sanctions policies. There is disagreement with it. But we
are the United States. We believe that there is a reason to have sanctions
against Burma. We imposed them after some very careful thinking and others
have different views about how to handle them. However, that particular
statement was not raised in any of the closed meetings.

QUESTION: Secretary, talking about Dr. Mahathir, you criticize his proposal
to modify the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. But since you spoke,
the Philippines and the Indonesians have come up with some support to the
idea. Are you worried that his proposal is gaining ground and adding some
more tension between you and the ASEAN countries?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: No, I am not worried because I think the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights is universal. I think it is a reflection of the
general feelings of people throughout the world about their desire to have
political and human rights, and so I think that it is a declaration that
has stood us well and will continue to do so.