SYCB'S STATEMENT ON THE 9TH ANNIVER

Subject: SYCB'S STATEMENT ON THE 9TH ANNIVERSARY OF 8888

STUDENTS & YOUTH CONGRESS OF BURMA
-----------------------------------
Date : August 7, 1997

             SYCB'S STATEMENT ON THE 9TH ANNIVERSARY OF 8888

August the 8th, 1997, marks the 9th anniversary of the dynamic
nation-wide uprising in Burma that aimed to eliminate the
dictatorship and establish a democratic government for the whole
of Burma.

So far, the spirit of the 8888 that represents the brave and
bright students' movements on August 8 of 1988 continues to
flourish despite the iron fist and brutality of cruel military
rulers, and the people of Burma unwaveringly carry on their fight
for the restoration of human rights and democracy.

Since the military took power in 1962, the economic conditions in
our country have worsened, the environment has been irreparably
damaged, and thousands of innocent civilians have been forced to
work as slaves and suffered gross human rights abuses at the
hands of the dictatorship. The admission Burma as a new member of
Asean is a fuel to maintain the dying dictatorship on power stage
that leads continuous abuses and refuses democracy process in
Burma.

Yet the greater the hardship and the more extreme the brutality
that the military applies to oppress our people, the stronger our
determination to succeed grows.

We the SYCB strongly believe that the students and youths
generated from the 8888 movements have been still struggling to
alter the situation in Burma and establish democratic societies.
This grants for the equal rights and amity and unity amongst all
of ethnic nationalities, and for the fundamental human rights
across the country.

With the integration of the strengths of these students and
youths we the SYCB perform as a front to resist the abuses of the
brutally ruling military junta, the Slorc, and to restore
democracy in Burma.

To settle the current crisis with less blood, we call on
international democratic community and people of Burma to
concretely demand that the Slorc:

1. Unconditionally release all political prisoners including
   student leader Min Ko Naing
2. Cancel all of its unjust laws and orders
3. Declare the genuine nation-wide cease-fire
4. Abolish sham national convention
5. Enter dialogue whit the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San
   Suu Kyi

More over, approaching Burma with genuine constructive engagement
should be a main task for the Asean its member leaders to keep
away from the biases on Slorc, we strongly consider.

Members of SYCB:

1. AASYC         (All Arakanese Students and Youth Congress)
2. ABSDF         (All Burma Students' Democratic Front)
3. ABSL          (All Burma Students League)
4. CSU           (Chin Students Union)
5. DPNS          (Democratic Party for New Society)
6. KSDF          (Kachin Students Democratic Front)
7. KYO           (Karen Youth Organisation)
8. NLD(LA.Youth) (National League for Democracy-Liberated Area)
9. OMNSO         (Overseas Mon National Students Organisation)